Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
750VFR

Ipro Cup

27 posts in this topic

Well, that's Oxford and Gloucester thro' to the semi finals with Gary Charlton / John Gibson on the R Cumbria internet wireless not seeming happy with Town's performance.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game and hoping for a win, Raiders v Cougars would've been a good final.

I thought Radio Cumbria commentary was nothing short of pathetic. Talk about football,football,football.

Well, a win is a win 28 - 6.  On a lovely Spring day in front of a bigger crowd, perhaps Sunday is a better option, we could have watched a good game but the man in charge seemed determined to spoil it and in the end it was difficult to watch and probably even harder to play.

On a positive note we were again outstanding in the defensive effort and I'm certain when I watch the video the Keighley try was not a try.

Roll on the next round

Some strange decisions, but well played raiders, turned it on when needed, and kept out of most of the silliness.

Raiders (and North Wales) in the draw now after a game that was anything but free flowing.

PS Don't think the thermostat in the Stand has been changed for British Summer Time.

What totally spoiled the game for me was the ref. Keighley were determined to slow the game down and who can blame them.  The ref seemed to completely lose the plot. I thought Keighley looked a pretty useful side and quite quick but there was only one likely winner. There attack & defence had nowhere near the strength and speed of Barrow. Yet again well played Raiders and only 5 tries scored against in 480 minutes of rugby. (3 of those tries were by Coventry)

agree the ref wrecked the game ... still good display despite him and Keighleys efforts at lying on/slowing the rucks etc .... there was only one winner once we were 12 - 0 up. 

I agree the ref wasn't the best but he wasn't that bad.

Keighley put numbers into the tackle and turned our players on their backs. When it is a dominant tackle like that the ref will always give them latitude, If we want quick play the balls our forwards need to find the floor on their front rather than get into a wrestle every time. Stuart Dickens at Fev was a master at it and as a result their half backs used to run riot. Slowing the play down by getting men in the tackle is a legitimate tactic - though I dislike it - to offset it you must either find your front or a good offload. By the way the ref,( if you look at the lines on the field rather than where he stand), kept a good 10 metres yesterday with Barrow encroaching at times just the same as the opposition despite all the shouts of get them behind you ref.

2 people like this

378 at the Gloucester v Town game

345 at Thunder v North Wales

105 for Oxford v Skolars

that looks like 828 total

Coincidentally 828 were at Craven Park.

28 minutes ago, red square said:

I agree the ref wasn't the best but he wasn't that bad.

Keighley put numbers into the tackle and turned our players on their backs. When it is a dominant tackle like that the ref will always give them latitude, If we want quick play the balls our forwards need to find the floor on their front rather than get into a wrestle every time. Stuart Dickens at Fev was a master at it and as a result their half backs used to run riot. Slowing the play down by getting men in the tackle is a legitimate tactic - though I dislike it - to offset it you must either find your front or a good offload. By the way the ref,( if you look at the lines on the field rather than where he stand), kept a good 10 metres yesterday with Barrow encroaching at times just the same as the opposition despite all the shouts of get them behind you ref.

Even Cresta commented on the nowhere near 10 metre defensive line and told the players to get further ahead of the ref in the 2nd period as he was letting players encroach more than the 10.

whens this to be played guys?

Just watched the highlights, I still maintain he kept a good 10 metres. There is nothing bar 1 penalty to suggest otherwise although both teams, as is usual, encroached before the ball actually touched the foot

1 person likes this

Good draw hopefully a Barrow v Workington final :)

Nip down to B&M to get your new bucket and spade before they run out!

1 person likes this

That is a shame then would have been nice to have an all Cumbria final.

2 hours ago, Penno said:

That is a shame then would have been nice to have an all Cumbria final.

It would have been a great day out pal but we were very very poor, and the All Golds deserved there win, I hope your score board is well oiled this week, I think it will be getting used a lot  :sad:

Barrow v Oxford; Sunday 30th April . 2.00 kick off.