Expenses issue with Toronto Wolfpack

Just now, Dave T said:

Which issue is it Shaun the food bill or the days off? The list is getting longer as the thread goes on.

These players with second jobs have choices to make on whether it suits. I suggest if you work weekends and have a 2nd job playing RL then its not the right setup for you, but thats up to players to plan their own lives.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be a part time track and field athlete, and competing in a truly national British League at the time frequently had to stay overnight before competitions. Plus we competed overseas a few times too and being amateur paid for flights, accommodation and of course being sensible looked after insurance and everything else. Because it was important to me (and hence my family) we did all this and made it work despite the many sacrifices it required. You did it or you didn't but you certainly didn't moan expecting every morsel to be paid for and all the thinking to have been done on your behalf.

If players decide to take a different view (and some genuinely don't have a choice with their work patterns) then so be it, I would have thought plenty others would be available and eager to have an amazing trip and a great experience playing in front of the biggest crowd in their career. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Look Dave, there's a problem with TWP, I know it's in  there somwhere, and I'll keep searching till I find it, maybe where I left my keys, behind the cushions on the sofa, coat pockets, trousers in the wash .................?       etc etc etc

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Which issue is it Shaun the food bill or the days off? Tge list is getting longer as the thread goes on.

These players witg aecond jobs have choices to make on whether it suits. I suggest if you work weekends and have a 2nd job playing RL then its not the right setup for you, but thats up to players to plan their own lives.

DaveT - you stated that only 1 day off work is required earlier, I countered that with the actual travel schedule for Barrow. I've not commented on the day to day expenses on this thread, apart from the issue of what was being covered by TW hasn't been nailed down in advance so that the clubs knew one way or the other. I'm still of the opinion that the away games will cause some players to miss the trip due to work and/or holidays, judging by some comments I've heard from clubs such as Barrow

7 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

DaveT - you stated that only 1 day off work is required earlier, I countered that with the actual travel schedule for Barrow. I've not commented on the day to day expenses on this thread, apart from the issue of what was being covered by TW hasn't been nailed down in advance so that the clubs knew one way or the other. I'm still of the opinion that the away games will cause some players to miss the trip due to work and/or holidays, judging by some comments I've heard from clubs such as Barrow

I didnt. I said 'a day or so'. I expect some players will need 1, some more, some none.

Its minimum 2 days for most players - yes there will be the odd one that takes less because of their shift pattern but that will also mean the odd one takes more than 2. For Barrow they will arrive about 22 hours before the game and depart about 26 hours after. Its not possible to shorten than schedule without taking the player straight from the pitch and put on a Saturday night flight

Flights are not every day to Toronto. Going via Manchester is worse than Glasgow. And its an overnight flight back to UK  (for all flights)which are killers for the next 2/3 days with the jetlag, then they have to get down to training and a game coming up quickly. Its not a walk in the park

It is fascinating that for years and years (and years and years) people have moaned that clubs should start from the bottom and earn their way to SL like everyone else and when they do they moan about that!

RL fans: the have your cake and eat it fraternity!;)

29 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Its minimum 2 days for most players - yes there will be the odd one that takes less because of their shift pattern but that will also mean the odd one takes more than 2. For Barrow they will arrive about 22 hours before the game and depart about 26 hours after. Its not possible to shorten than schedule without taking the player straight from the pitch and put on a Saturday night flight

Flights are not every day to Toronto. Going via Manchester is worse than Glasgow. And its an overnight flight back to UK  (for all flights)which are killers for the next 2/3 days with the jetlag, then they have to get down to training and a game coming up quickly. Its not a walk in the park

Nobody is saying its a walk in the park, but what do we do about it? Keep moaning or crack on and embrace it.

19 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I think some people on here don't have a clue about the realities of L1 - some of these players are playing for as little as £100 a game. 

Yeah but a weekend flying in and out of Toronto is life's dream realised. The ungrateful sods should thank their lucky stars. ?

25 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I think some people on here don't have a clue about the realities of L1 - some of these players are playing for as little as £100 a game. 

So, what?  

They all have jobs apparently and choose to play rugby as a 2nd job.

I suspect the majority will go and play and enjoy it.

Just now, Dave T said:

So, what?  

They all have jobs apparently and choose to play rugby as a 2nd job.

I suspect the majority will go and play and enjoy it.

I doubt many players in L1 think of playing RL as a job. It'll be interesting to hear what the Oxford players say when they get back. I'm sure they'll be well looked after and will enjoy the experience but I'm also interested in how they think the travelling and different preparation affected them physically. Playing the day after a trans-Atlantic flight wouldn't fill me with confidence.

1 minute ago, Dummy Half said:

I doubt many players in L1 think of playing RL as a job. It'll be interesting to hear what the Oxford players say when they get back. I'm sure they'll be well looked after and will enjoy the experience but I'm also interested in how they think the travelling and different preparation affected them physically. Playing the day after a trans-Atlantic flight wouldn't fill me with confidence.

If they dont think of it as a job then we should take the money out of the discussion.

If its a hobby then they are free to choose to do what they like.

While admitting that pay may not be that great in L1 a chance to go and play in another country once in a lifetime v never doing it and never having been there is one for the players to reflect about. But if it was me a couple of moaners on here would probably be killed in my rush to get on the plane.

Talk about a rat up a drainpipe!

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

While admitting that pay may not be that great in L1 a chance to go and play in another country once in a lifetime v never doing it and never having been there is one for the players to reflect about. But if it was me a couple of moaners on here would probably be killed in my rush to get on the plane.

Talk about a rat up a drainpipe!

Just leaving your mum's spare room would be an achievement.

Its not great preparation to play by far the best team in the division, but it is what it is. You have to embrace it and look at the details of what needs to happen with a long weekend over there, and when you do it ain't no holiday. Its important for their welfare that they are looked after properly in terms of food, sleep, logistics, preparation and recovery to go and play one of the worlds toughest sports

The flights out

7 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Its not great preparation to play by far the best team in the division, but it is what it is. You have to embrace it and look at the details of what needs to happen with a long weekend over there, and when you do it ain't no holiday. Its important for their welfare that they are looked after properly in terms of food, sleep, logistics, preparation and recovery to go and play one of the worlds toughest sports

The flights out on a Friday seem decent. At least the overnight flight gome is following the game.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Please explain how the amount players are being paid for a match is in any way relevant to any of the (non) issues raised in this thread?

Fyi

Insurance is paid for by the RFL.

It will be intersting to see where the match officials stay. I bet they are not expected to buy their own meals as they would on none game days in the UK

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Fyi

It will be intersting to see where the match officials stay. I bet they are not expected to buy their own meals as they would on none game days in the UK

Again, why is this even remotely an issue for you? Do you also expect Hunslet or Workington to pay for all the food and activities for away teams for the entire weekend whenever they stage a home match?

Yup - Insurance is covered by the RFL

Food - would the players affected not be paying for their own food when at home anyway? Or are people on here of the belief that they don't eat apart from post-match free meals? (Slightly disingenuous, I know).

Toulouse may well have paid for all expenses, but they weren't covering transatlantic flights, so their budget may have gone a little further. 

52 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Fyi

Their employer may pay for it or negotiate a deal for it. They work for a different company than the players.

How many season tickets have been sold? Surely better to meet clubs halfway if you have already have games scheduled.

Getting into a row with a club over expenses seems like a unneeded distraction.

Is this a lack of experience in the day to day of running a club, perhaps they need someone with experience of dealing with other clubs involved.

Not dissimilar to the early days of Koukash at Salford who seemed to generate unnecessary distractions for the club off-field.

Archived