Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJW

AFL, how progressive NOT !

27 posts in this topic

It's hard to blame a whole sport for the actions of a few individuals.

You do make a good point about how it's reported though although many in the Aus media seem to be making the point that this would be reported much more negatively if it was soccer. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFL has bad form with this sort of thing. A couple of years ago after one indigenous player stood up to the insults he was regularly booed across the country. A senior figure of one club also suggested he be used to promote King Kong.

read these and be horrified 

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/adam-goodes-booed-again-in-qualifying-final-against-fremantle-20150912-gjl7hv.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcguire-apologises-for-goodes-king-kong-gaffe-20130529-2na8h.html

and I'll also include this oldie from a former president of Collingwood 

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/afl-the-ugly-game-of-enlightened-racism-20130416-2hy9b.html

 ''As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That's the key.''

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Goodes was hounded out of the game by racists which i believe shows the true face of present day Australia the fact that a proud aborginal man can't even show he's pride in his culture and people without been tormented for it. AFL are very two faced abut this issue if this was soccer the media would have by now dragged the sport through the mud.

Still a lot of racism in AFL i like the sport and watch it every week but this is very two faced. As for the people throwing these comments towards aborginal players they have the IQ of a rat because AFL or footy has its origins from the aboriginal culture to boo and ridicule the people who have contributed so much to this sport one must have the IQ of a rat to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was over there it did seem like AFL had this protected status for some reason. Perhaps this is the greatest example of it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even watching things like the Footy Show some of the comments amaze me, such as about the Lebanese, and they would never be allowed on UK TV. In Australia it seems normal and no one bats an eyelid.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Damien said:

Even watching things like the Footy Show some of the comments amaze me, such as about the Lebanese, and they would never be allowed on UK TV. In Australia it seems normal and no one bats an eyelid.

We discussed this on here a few years back - I can't find it now - with lots of the English posters absolutely dumbfounded at the day-to-day language (for e.g.) that passes as completely fine in the Australian media.

I don't know if AFL has a greater issue because, unlike rugby (league and union) it has no Pacific nation interest and so the only obvious minority playing be aboriginal people, and really not that many of them.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember years ago, the cricket commentators talking about the Pak**. Unbelievable! But is the AFL governing body racialist or just the fans? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFL has had huge problems for many years with drugs, racism, sexism and homophobia.

If i lived in Australia i wouldn't want any members of my family young or old involved in it at any level.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I remember years ago, the cricket commentators talking about the Pak**. Unbelievable! But is the AFL governing body racialist or just the fans? 

"Pak**" was never an offensive term in Australia. It was like saying "kiwi".

Look at the headline of this media article as a typical example: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/cricket/investigators-not-yet-finished-with-####-trio-20100903-14u20.html

Some people now don't say it as it offends the English as they are the only people I've heard complain about it in Australia even after many decades of Pakistan touring.

Another example http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/general-view-during-the-costcutter-under-u15-world-cricket-news-photo/1029354?#aug-2000-a-general-view-during-the-costcutter-under-u15-world-cricket-picture-id1029354

its quite common 

Edited by Copa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

AFL has had huge problems for many years with drugs, racism, sexism and homophobia.

If i lived in Australia i wouldn't want any members of my family young or old involved in it at any level.

I'm deeply uncomfortable with people talking about sports in this way. How can a sport be responsible for the actions of its fans, especially if it is one with broad appeal like AFL.

We often hear the same over here when people talking about football fans and often in contrast to Union fans as if they are bred differently. in reality it is simply snobbery based on the class and socioeconomic groups that follow the respective sports.

Following RL I've seen my fair share of ugly incidents over the years where I've had to make the exact same points.

Glass houses and all that.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm deeply uncomfortable with people talking about sports in this way. How can a sport be responsible for the actions of its fans, especially if it is one with broad appeal like AFL.

We often hear the same over here when people talking about football fans and often in contrast to Union fans as if they are bred differently. in reality it is simply snobbery based on the class and socioeconomic groups that follow the respective sports.

Following RL I've seen my fair share of ugly incidents over the years where I've had to make the exact same points.

Glass houses and all that.

I'm not wrong though. Look what happened with the 34 players at Essendon and the drugs cover up for starters.

Gay AFL players are frightened to come out because of the reaction they know they would get.

I can post you loads of links of how bad AFL players have acted, and far worse than anything Rugby League has seen.

For reasons unknown to me and many others they appear to have the Aussie media in their pockets.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm not wrong though. Look what happened with the 34 players at Essendon and the drugs cover up for starters.

Gay AFL players are frightened to come out because of the reaction they know they would get.

I can post you loads of links of how bad AFL players have acted, and far worse than anything Rugby League has seen.

For reasons unknown to me and many others they appear to have the Aussie media in their pockets.

There is an issue here about whether AFL is treated differently by the media. 

I'd still err on the side of caution with the other stuff. I heard some pretty derogatory things about League when I was in Aus and there have been more than a few scandals involving women, drugs and violence. 

The problems are far more likely societal than sport related. There is a reason why football and RL in the UK have issues with fan violence and RU doesn't and it has nothing to do with respect or the culture of the sport.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rugby league is definitely not perfect but it has a pretty good history of players making it in the game regardless of their background. And this isn't a new thing to fulfill a quota, it's always been based on 'is he good enough? Yes - that's the main criteria'.

But I'm sure you can dig up examples of RL people behaving like idiots but there again, RL has never had an easy ride in the media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Rugby league is definitely not perfect but it has a pretty good history of players making it in the game regardless of their background. And this isn't a new thing to fulfill a quota, it's always been based on 'is he good enough? Yes - that's the main criteria'.

But I'm sure you can dig up examples of RL people behaving like idiots but there again, RL has never had an easy ride in the media.

Nothing to do with the media, I'm talking events I've witnessed and heard through this forum and social media. 

It's tempting to try and use this to lord one over AFL but it's disingenuous, shallow and hypocritical. Especially when we are a sport that suffers from much of the same negative coverage and subsequent judgements from fans of other sports.

AFL is the biggest code of football in Australia and it draws support from all over society, much like football in our country. When you have young, not particularly well educated men with too much money you're going to see problems. 

When you have tens of thousands of people, many from deprived areas and there are problems in society with racism, sexism etc then it will be reflected in the followers of those sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Nothing to do with the media, I'm talking events I've witnessed and heard through this forum and social media. 

It's tempting to try and use this to lord one over AFL but it's disingenuous, shallow and hypocritical. Especially when we are a sport that suffers from much of the same negative coverage and subsequent judgements from fans of other sports.

AFL is the biggest code of football in Australia and it draws support from all over society, much like football in our country. When you have young, not particularly well educated men with too much money you're going to see problems. 

When you have tens of thousands of people, many from deprived areas and there are problems in society with racism, sexism etc then it will be reflected in the followers of those sports.

I was agreeing with you but pointing out that RL has a good record of acceptance despite limited cash and influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I was agreeing with you but pointing out that RL has a good record of acceptance despite limited cash and influence.

Don't get me wrong, the organisations in question have a role to play in how they respond to such problems. I think RL (over here at least) does a good job and has zero tolerance of any such incidents.

As I've mentioned earlier, there is a question about AFL being the darling of the media and treated more easily than say RL or soccer would be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Don't get me wrong, the organisations in question have a role to play in how they respond to such problems. I think RL (over here at least) does a good job and has zero tolerance of any such incidents.

As I've mentioned earlier, there is a question about AFL being the darling of the media and treated more easily than say RL or soccer would be. 

 

You can see it in things like when a RL player gets done for a drugs offence. They're invariably called a cheat, etc etc (generally with some justification) and when a RU player gets done similar. The RU player is often portrayed as 'brave' or 'fighting demons' etc  

Edited by Johnoco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You can see it in things like when a RL player gets done for a drugs offence. They're invariably called a cheat, etc etc (generally with some justification) and when a RU player gets done similar. The RU player is often portrayed as 'brave' or 'fighting demons' etc  

And yet the RL thing pales next to any reaction to a soccer player so much as hinting that life isn't peaches and cream.

EDIT

The way the national media and national football fans treat players is, I'm at least partly convinced, one of the reasons why 'our' boys perform significantly less well for England than for their clubs.

Edited by gingerjon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Coffs Harbour 'incident' has been brought up more than once by hacks with agendas as an example of typical RL behaviour, long after the accused players had been acquitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Just for balance where are the rugby league articles?

I can give you a list of violent incidents I know of and have witnessed at RL games if you'd like.

Why are you defending a game that's racist, sexist, homophobic and covers up its drug problems with a 3 strike cover up rule. Which means a player has to be caught 3 times using drugs before any action is taken against.

Your welcome to dig out articles about bad behaviour by Rugby League players if you want, but they will be small compared to the bad behaviour of AFL players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2017 at 1:32 AM, The Future is League said:

Why are you defending a game that's racist, sexist, homophobic and covers up its drug problems with a 3 strike cover up rule. Which means a player has to be caught 3 times using drugs before any action is taken against.

Your welcome to dig out articles about bad behaviour by Rugby League players if you want, but they will be small compared to the bad behaviour of AFL players.

Maybe he's defending it for the same reasons you're lambasting it. 

You never fail to take any opportunity, whether it's deserved or not, to kick the boot into aussie rules. 

In fact you're like that with any sport that isn't called rugby league.

I wouldn't mind if you showed some knowledge about the subjects at hand, but you don't.

You are the worst type of rugby league fan, more like one you'd find in Sydney. You're just as bad as those ignorant AFL fans who denigrate rugby league.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 10th April 2017

Rugby League World - April 2017