General Election thread

May can't lose this, surely?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

The boundary commission changes (likely to cost Labour seats) won't have come into effect, either.

Under current circumstances they don't need them. 

Those changes could become a lot more useful for future elections if Labour get their act together following a heavy defeat in June.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I guess she might view it as a chance to finish off UKIP as an electoral force and increase her majority enough to be able to go for the more sensible Brexit trade-offs rather than having to keep the nutjobs happy.

I've genuinely no idea who to vote for.

I definitely won't vote for the Tories.  No need to justify that one.

I probably won't vote for the Lib Dems.  The same people are there as when they appeased the Tories and there hasn't been any effort to apologise or accept liability for what they did, in fact the same people who pushed through some brutal cuts are blatantly pretending it didn't happen and it was all the nasty Tories.  It'd definitely take Clegg to resign and probably Lamb as well for me to forgive them.

I probably won't vote for Labour.  I won't give Corbyn the benefit of my voting number.  But then Labour are the only party that can even dent the Tory majority.

Obviously, the Kippers won't get my vote.

Greens would be nothing but a protest vote.

Anyway, it's fairly irrelevant because this area would probably elect Corbyn if he wore a Tory rosette.  I'll still vote though and it'll be a very last resort to spoil my ballot.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

The same people are in charge as when they appeased the Tories

But so did Corbyn over Brexit - something, if nothing else, I', not prepared to forgive him for. However, I like our incumbent labour MP; he's the best constituency MP I've ever known here in my entire life. If he stays, I'll probably vote for him (Labour will be wiped out across the country).

I see Tom Blenkinsop (Labour, Middlesbrough) has already thrown in the towel; I wonder how many others will follow? 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

6 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

But so did Corbyn over Brexit - something, if nothing else, I', not prepared to forgive him for. However, I like our incumbent labour MP; he's the best constituency MP I've ever known here in my entire life. If he stays, I'll probably vote for him (Labour will be wiped out across the country).

I see Tom Blenkinsop (Labour, Middlesbrough) has already thrown in the towel; I wonder how many others will follow? 

I amended my post on the Lib Dems since you quoted it.

On Labour, they either get a kicking of all kickings at the general election or Corbyn will be in charge of Labour until he dies of very old age, or Labour dies, whichever comes first.

Nothing wrong with voting for a good constituency MP though, regardless of their rosette.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

16 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'll still vote though and it'll be a very last resort to spoil my ballot.

I reckon the "none of the above" vote will be pretty high - record low %age turnout for a modern general election is my prediction. Not just because of disenchantment with the options on offer, but also because of it being a one-sided contest and also because we had a GE in 2015 and the referendum last year.

It says a lot about the state of British politics when a party is likely to get a landslide victory not because of anything great they've done but simply because they are the "least worst" option.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

It'll be "interesting" to see the Labour manifesto and whether Labour MPs will actively campaign for it!

After coming back from a long weekend to mountains of work, you get some good news like this to up your spirits. Here's to a tory landslide :). Although I will be sorry to see Corbyn go, I've enjoyed his random quirkiness and illogical nonsense

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

. Although I will be sorry to see Corbyn go, I've enjoyed his random quirkiness and illogical nonsense

What makes you think he will go? His position in the party come June 9 is probably strengthened by not having all those bothersome MPs hanging round.

Looking at the recent history of my constituency, it has only been a 2 party fight (Con/Lab) for as long as I've lived there. None of the other parties have really been close to a half-chance.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Calculated gamble by May but one that could well signal the death knell of Labour for a generation.

Tory MP's in Remain areas will just say "well I actually supported the remain campaign" and that will no doubt be enough to appease many, coupled with the unelectable Labour party under Corbyn, should see many of them comfortably re-elected.

The big winners I reckon are likely to be the Tories and LibDems, in fact I reckon the Tories will end up with a majority of around 30-40 and the LibDems will end up with 40-50 seats, some at the expense of the Tories but most at the expense of Labour. Overall I reckon Labour will lose 70+ seats. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

in fact I reckon the Tories will end up with a majority of around 30-40 and the LibDems will end up with 40-50 seats, some at the expense of the Tories but most at the expense of Labour. Overall I reckon Labour will lose 70+ seats. 

Opinion polls over the weekend are giving the Conservatives anywhere between 17 and 21% lead over Labour (46/25 according to Comres in the Sunday Mirror) which equates to winning close to 200 seats more than Labour. To only end up with a majority of 30-40 would need a fairly significant shift over the next few weeks.

12 minutes ago, JonM said:

What makes you think he will go? His position in the party come June 9 is probably strengthened by not having all those bothersome MPs hanging round.

Well yes I suppose that is eminently possible and would be delightful, as he is most entertaining. If it was the case though, there would surely be a breakaway party formed

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Opinion polls over the weekend are giving the Conservatives anywhere between 17 and 21% lead over Labour (46/25 according to Comres in the Sunday Mirror) which equates to winning close to 200 seats more than Labour. To only end up with a majority of 30-40 would need a fairly significant shift over the next few weeks.

Never trust opinion polls though!

1 minute ago, Dummy Half said:

I've never understood people with this attitude. Reminds me of Flat Earth proponents.

Why?  Virtually everything the Tories have done since 2015 has gone directly against my political views, my aims, my likes and my view of society.  To vote for the Tories would be about as right for me as voting to be punted in the nuts twice a day.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Why?  Virtually everything the Tories have done since 2015 has gone directly against my political views, my aims, my likes and my view of society.  To vote for the Tories would be about as right for me as voting to be punted in the nuts twice a day.

So it's just since 2015 you've had this view? ?

Archived