23 Apr: SL: Hull FC v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

On 4/19/2017 at 3:26 PM, Exiled Wiganer said:

I like FC here. Cas seem to be fading to me and FC have such a strong side and squad. Usually squad strength comes into play by t he 4th game of this period and FC shade that for mine. 

:blink: Another one!

I need you to give me the heads up on the games before you post on here in future mate, I could make a fortune.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was an amazing effort! Seriously, Cas must have had 60 minutes of possession in our half. Every set they had, they finished near the line. How on Earth they didn't manage a win, I have no idea!

Well done Hull. I'd say Cas were unlucky, but to be 18-0 down so quickly in the game before the red card, it could have been a lot more. They were lucky to be in the game at all.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That was an amazing effort! Seriously, Cas must have had 60 minutes of possession in our half. Every set they had, they finished near the line. How on Earth they didn't manage a win, I have no idea!

Well done Hull. I'd say Cas were unlucky, but to be 18-0 down so quickly in the game before the red card, it could have been a lot more. They were lucky to be in the game at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the stats are. If Cas made 60 offloads I wouldnt be surprised. It seemed like we were having to make 3 tackles for every 1 that was actually completed. Its a shame Watts got sent off (it looked a soft one to me, with Gale falling and first impact on the ball, but I would need to see a replay), because we looked red hot early on. However the red card made for an extremely exciting game in the end.

Did anybody who went to this game see the Salford v Toronto game earlier?

Only reason I ask is because my mate Al in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester said Fui Fui Moi Moi cleaned out Gareth O'Brien, knocking him out and wasn't even sin binned.

Was wondering if anybody could compare the two incidents.

Plenty for Powell to work on before next week.  For me, hw we start games (almost always going a score or two behind) been one of them.  I suspect had the sending off incident not have ended Gales game we would have nicked it against 12 men Hull, just needed a bit more composure anfmd his goal kicking!  Annoyingly, we have played all season with Chase on the bench - trust him to be injured again this week.

Credit to Hull for hanging on. Exceptional performance.

We need a big response next week, or i do worry the wheels are starting to loosen, big ask facing week and likely without key man Gale.  

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Not the clearest of pics, but you can see the height of the player's head at impact. Not much Watts could do there.

IMG_8116.PNG

Radford states that the ref had no need to introduce controversy.  Backs Watts.

I hope Gale comes through alright.

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Not the clearest of pics, but you can see the height of the player's head at impact. Not much Watts could do there.

IMG_8116.PNG

All that shows is that contact was made with the head.  The red or not issue is based around timing and at what point Watts committed.  I'm not entirely convinced either way but I would point out that Gale didn't drop suddenly - his head is low when Watts starts towards the tackle and doesn't go drastically lower between then and point of contact.

It's a tough one.

It was as I thought in so far as Gale was falling but Watts obviously didn't intend hitting him high, you could see that in his reaction. Watts was unlucky but he, like all players, has a duty of care to opposition players and when he saw Gale falling he should have tried to pull out of the impact. I know it's easy to say and things happen very fast but I just hope the RFL disciplinary take Gale's position into account, but I won't hold my breath.

According to a poster on the RL Cup thread, Moi Moi cleaned out O'Brien off the ball so I wonder if he'll be up before the beak also. Be interesting to compare the two punishments.

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

It's a tough one.

It was as I thought in so far as Gale was falling but Watts obviously didn't intend hitting him high, you could see that in his reaction. Watts was unlucky but he, like all players, has a duty of care to opposition players and when he saw Gale falling he should have tried to pull out of the impact. I know it's easy to say and things happen very fast but I just hope the RFL disciplinary take Gale's position into account, but I won't hold my breath.

According to a poster on the RL Cup thread, Moi Moi cleaned out O'Brien off the ball so I wonder if he'll be up before the beak also. Be interesting to compare the two punishments.

Good points.  The issue could be if Gale was deemed fair game.  

22 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

It's a tough one.

Not seen the Moi Moi one but the Radio Manchester commentator seemed to think it was a hard and fair shot. Think Moi Moi has form this year though from the Siddal game so will be interesting to see. Are all incidents reviewed on Tuesday as Championship and league 1 are normally reviewed a wee later aren't they?

2 hours ago, snapski said:

Disappointed but chuffed for Hull fans.

We just need to get our mojo back. Both teams will be thereabouts.

Very magnanimous of you, cheers.

On the second point, I very much hope so and I see no reason why not.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

How's that doom-mongering business working out for you, OF?

30:18

There won't have been a single person in the crowd, Hull or Cas fan, that thought Hull could have defended the lead for an hour with a man light. The Cas fans reacted as if the game was in the bag when Hicks produced the red card and you couldn't blame them. They're the last team you'd want to face in that situation.

Hull were magnificent today. It was the performance of a champion team and one of those days you live for as a fan.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Never a red. His arm is below his chest pretty much. Clearly fallen into the tackle. Penalty for contact to the head and just an unfortunate position.

Too far away from us to judge at the time but I've just seen the video on the Sky Sports website. I can barely see the case for a penalty, never mind a red card.

I don't think that angle tells us much. Gale is clearly falling, but at a similar speed to an axed giant redwood so you couldn't say Watts has no time to react.

Either way, great win for Hull and it has been a good weekend for league and cup.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

Too far away from us to judge at the time but I've just seen the video on the Sky Sports website. I can barely see the case for a penalty, never mind a red card.

Contact with the head will always be penalised, and rightly so, but I would have considered a yellow to be on the harsh side, definately not a red for me. Imo for a high shot to warrant a red there needs to be real intent, yes he's hit him high but it wasnt a swinging arm and Gale was falling. Hard to tell from the clip but at the time I thought he maybe caught a bit of the ball aswell. But either way it was clumsy at worst. I'll be disappointed if he recieves any kind of ban for it.

Sounds like Gale is ok, just didnt pass the head test. Hopefully hes back next week.

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

Contact with the head will always be penalised, and rightly so, but I would have considered a yellow to be on the harsh side, definately not a red for me. Imo for a high shot to warrant a red there needs to be real intent, yes he's hit him high but it wasnt a swinging arm and Gale was falling. Hard to tell from the clip but at the time I thought he maybe caught a bit of the ball aswell. But either way it was clumsy at worst. I'll be disappointed if he recieves any kind of ban for it.

Sounds like Gale is ok, just didnt pass the head test. Hopefully hes back next week.

Absolutely, setting aside the debate on the rights and wrongs of the decision, the important thing is if Luke Gale is OK.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I don't think that angle tells us much. Gale is clearly falling, but at a similar speed to an axed giant redwood so you couldn't say Watts has no time to react.

Either way, great win for Hull and it has been a good weekend for league and cup.

So if you're saying he had time to react, are you saying he did it intentionally?

The more I see it the more I think red was fair.  I just don't see much movement in terms of Gales head height between the time when Watts rushed towards him lining the tackle up and the point of contact (I am viewing it on a smart phone though).  I don't think it was particularly malicious but it was certainly clumsy and probably avoidable.

That said Gale doesn't seem to be holding any grudges:

20170423_232541.png

So the all beating Cas have lost the wheels on their wagon. Shame the Observer article was this weekend!

And remarkably all 3 Hull teams won this weekend.

Well done to the black and whites looking forward to a good cup draw!

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So if you're saying he had time to react, are you saying he did it intentionally?

No, I'm saying what I actually said, which is that that angle doesn't tell us much about the contact or intent.

But feel free to put words in my mouth and get angry about it if you prefer.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

No, I'm saying what I actually said, which is that that angle doesn't tell us much about the contact or intent.

But feel free to put words in my mouth and get angry about it if you prefer.

You also said "You couldn't say Watts had no time to react," so let's not pretend there's no inference to your writing.

If you think someone has time to react, but doesn't, would that not be down to choice?

I don't know why you think I'm angry? I'm just intrigued in your opinion. We just beat top of the league with 12 men, I'm pretty happy! 

Archived