John Rhino

Aussie Rugby Becoming more Parochial

11 posts in this topic

You couldn't pay me to watch state of origin.

Posted (edited)

The convenient thing that they continue to overlook is that now only around 75% of those NRL players actually qualify to play in SOO. This is compared with around 95% 15 years ago.

Of the other 25% - it includes some of the best players in the competition if not the world (Sam Burgess, Keiron Foran, James Graham, Jason Taumolo, Josh Hodgson, Shaun Johnson, Dean Whare, Gareth Widdop, Jessie Browmwich etc.). So why is a game split between that 75% of a higher status that the cream of the 75% playing against some of the world's best players?

Edited by Scubby
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I thought this was a Rugby Union thread when I saw the title.

Steve Mascord ....... his opinions have lost there way a long time ago and he has become a sensationalist looking for attention and most down under pay him little regard.

A total load of Tosh.

What was his catch cry awhile ago,  "Rock and roll Rugby" say no more.

The paper he writes for is a white collar Union/Cricket rag

Edited by Allora

Posted (edited)

"The fact that Origin is such a focus merely underlines how parochial, geographically limited and inward looking rugby league in Australia remains as we head toward the third decade of this century. "

I don't think he needed to either look at this as an outsider or make any attempt to analyze it in depth. Isolationism, parochialism, inward and blinkered approaches were primary attitude exports of the imperial period and we've just had Brexit which is a prime example of its workings and thinking. :D

Edited by Oxford

6 hours ago, Allora said:

I thought this was a Rugby Union thread when I saw the title.

Steve Mascord ....... his opinions have lost there way a long time ago and he has become a sensationalist looking for attention and most down under pay him little regard.

A total load of Tosh.

What was his catch cry awhile ago,  "Rock and roll Rugby" say no more.

The paper he writes for is a white collar Union/Cricket rag

Doesn't make him wrong in this case though

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

The convenient thing that they continue to overlook is that now only around 75% of those NRL players actually qualify to play in SOO. This is compared with around 95% 15 years ago.

So why is a game split between that 75% of a higher status that the cream of the 75% playing against some of the world's best players?

This is increasingly the reason why some clubs have (and more clubs will) move to recruit more non SOO eligible players. The Warriors consistently have a great eight weeks during the Origin period. More clubs that can field consistent teams in this period will get a huge advantage.

As for the product of SOO itself. It can't be knocked. It is display of the rivalry we all yearn for in representative footy. Just a shame that international footy is not presented to the Aussie public as the pinnacle. For this, Steve Mascord can equally blame his media industry.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

As for the product of SOO itself. It can't be knocked. It is display of the rivalry we all yearn for in representative footy. Just a shame that international footy is not presented to the Aussie public as the pinnacle. For this, Steve Mascord can equally blame his media industry.

I don't think SOO has ever been under attack just the dominant focus and the attitudes that come along with that.

1 person likes this

On 20/04/2017 at 6:35 PM, John Rhino said:

Doesn't make him wrong in this case though

Absolutely, I can't disagree with anything he says there 

On 20/4/2017 at 9:10 PM, Sports Prophet said:

This is increasingly the reason why some clubs have (and more clubs will) move to recruit more non SOO eligible players. The Warriors consistently have a great eight weeks during the Origin period. More clubs that can field consistent teams in this period will get a huge advantage.

In fact, it's a shame New Zealand aren't playing during the Origin period...

About the pinnacle thing, I have to admit Origin manages to be more spectacular and enterteining than Int rl. 
I think it's because it's played when players are well fit enough (like the 6 N in ru) and not at the end of the season (as it happens in Int rl). 
Plus, Australia are too strong for England and NZ at the moment, though they are close. 
I see State of Origin as something à la UEFA Champions League event (at least, the CL finals). 

On Thu Apr 20 2017 at 8:10 PM, Sports Prophet said:

I think SOO has lost its allure somewhat.

What differentiated SOO over the 80's and 90's was the gladitorial aspect... not only was it the best players in Australia going head to head but the actual game itself felt a bit different. It was refereed differently and to be on that stage you needed to not only be a top quality player but also fearless.

It wasn't just the biff... it was an intensity that couldn't be matched anywhere else.

Now I watch SOO and while the games are still high quality it doesn't feel any different to a top quality NRL match. And with that i have stopped really caring about it.

I am sure the Australian public still love SOO and the NSW and Queensland citizens in particular as they have an emotional investment in the series but I prefer a regular season NRL round (as I get to see the English contingent run around).