Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moc

Brierley to Toronto

140 posts in this topic

Huddersfield Giants have agreed an undisclosed transfer fee for the registration of Ryan Brierley with the Canadian Toronto Wolfpack club. The player will move with immediate effect and is expected to debut in the weekends Challenge Cup action should all papers clear in time with the RFL

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis told www.gianstrl.com how the move came about: “We received an offer from Toronto Director of Rugby Brian Noble on Monday which our board, coaching staff, Ryan and his management were made aware of. It was clear that the move would be appealing to Ryan and from our side of things once the fee met our value of the player the deal was quickly signed.

"It’s a sad day in some respects for us but the reality is that the move to Huddersfield and into Super League didn’t really work out as either we nor Ryan would have wished. He has been an excellent professional with us, well liked amongst the supporters but with him not cementing a place in the matchday seventeen in his preferred half back role I can well see why the chance to do that back with coach he knows well is appealing to him. He leaves us with our best wishes for his future with promotion to the championship this year seeming a certainty for the Wolfpack I am sure he will play a big part for them in securing that.

"From our side the search for additions to the squad is an ongoing process and whilst it may be viewed that this strengthens our position in being able to recruit the reality is that the player market is incredibly thin in the UK. The immediate positive that we gain is a likelihood of further opportunities for our younger players and in particular young Izaac Farrell will now be invited to move up into the first team environment and stake his claim."

Ryan Brierley said: “I am very grateful to everyone at Huddersfield for the opportunity to achieve my dream which was to play in Super league. My debut will always be a special memory for me as will be the friendships I have made with the coaches , players and supporters here who have been very kind to me. Like all players I wanted to be playing every week and that’s the main reason for taking the new challenge at Toronto with a coach who obviously I know very well. The initial aim of course is promotion and then the desire and ambition of the club is ultimately Super League and I hope to be able to play a big part in that and get back to level that I am leaving. I wish Huddersfield and everyone there nothing but success and really did enjoy my time at the club.”

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

A good signing for Toronto. Brierley is a good lower league player but I don't think he is really a Super League player.

Edited by Damien
2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Moc said:

"From our side the search for additions to the squad is an ongoing process and whilst it may be viewed that this strengthens our position in being able to recruit the reality is that the player market is incredibly thin in the UK"

And that quote is well worth remembering when we're projecting stuff like a 2x10 superleague.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

A good signing for Toronto. Brierley is a good lower league player but I don't think he is really a Super League player.

Absolutely. Never thought he'd cut it at SL, despite some ridiculous hype he got last year. He doesn't have a good enough skillset/all round game. Put him behind a strong pack that Toronto have and he'll thrive as an excellent support player

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

He's the type of player that the Wolfpack will need in getting them out of the championship and into super league. 

1 person likes this

Brierley to Toronto, magic!

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

And that quote is well worth remembering when we're projecting stuff like a 2x10 superleague.

Which is relevant, how?

3 people like this

Brierley will be a very good player with the right team, Giants are the worst club he could have gone to. He will never be a George Williams but he will get a lot of tries behind any pack with half an idea about offloading and support play.

5 people like this

In result now means the Australian who was playing under a Canadian flag moves out of the 17 to make way.

Fantastic seeing them rack up 100 points in a league where the standard is best chance of blooding Canadians.

sticking to their banner of having zero intentions of getting Canadians playing 

32 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

I don't really see the relevance of this in a Brierley to Toronto thread.

Just now, Damien said:

Ignore him

Brough wont be at Hudd much longer I dont think, Hudd could be in the market - could go after Lilley from Leeds

1 person likes this

I think its probably the best move for him to reinvigorate his career. Huddersfield was a bad move, would have done better at other SL clubs. Reuniting with Rowley may just be the best thing for him.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

He's the type of player that the Wolfpack will need in getting them out of the championship and into super league. 

I don't think he is. He's alright in the regular season but when the going gets tough, Brierley gets going. 

Farrel and Olly Russell seem to be the future then

I don't think Gaskell will be around much longer than 2019, Ellis still isn't doing anything amazing and I wouldn't be surprised if he was offloaded in the off season

Brough was a fool to himself - he played year in year out for Scotland without a rest - his groin is a mess and he has lost both speed and the ability to kick a ball anywhere near as well as a few years ago - he cant change his style of play and as a result is angry with himself - that's tough kid but we all get old - adapt or retire - he was very good for the Giants and as a coach he may have what it takes but I don't see him there past this year as a player without significant time off and a major operation

Olly Russells move - if that's true - signals a change of the guard I think

Farrell has a good partner in the u19's but to be fair Farrell has been on the verge now for a good year - time to open that door I think

Which leaves some development time for those following him through the Giants academy set up

Gaskel and Farrel at half back this weekend in the cup and against Leeds the following week - will be interesting to see if the Giants now look at a potential buy from within SL or more likely outside as a marquee player - Kyle Edmonds perhaps although a long shot and not fit enough by all accounts to be pitched straight in

Interesting times

Never saw him as having the overall game or stature for SL personally . Support player running tries in off a dominant pack and side but so much more required when it's a lot tougher 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Your not alone in that,but it does involve TWP so expect more of it.

It's going to be very interesting how this impacts future recruitment for them, seeing as they've made a failed superleague player their marquee. He's going to have to take a hefty paycut on his next contract regardless of where he is. 

13 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It's going to be very interesting how this impacts future recruitment for them, seeing as they've made a failed superleague player their marquee. He's going to have to take a hefty paycut on his next contract regardless of where he is. 

I don't follow this, who's their marquee?

When are the RFL going to stop allowing the rest of championship 1 teams being made a fool of?

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't follow this, who's their marquee?

Brierley has been declared Torontos marquee contract. 

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Doesn't look like he's going to be short of brass based on the TRL piece which quotes - “There was the opportunity to go to a few Super League clubs but there are three things in life you can’t ignore and that’s the opportunity to travel the world, be happy and be well paid.”  I can't find any other media which mentions this.

He'll be ok in D1 & the Championship but just not quite right for SL imo.  

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Brierley has been declared Torontos marquee contract. 

I didn't realise that. I suppose that means he must be getting at least £175k which is astounding for a player like Brierley!

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I didn't realise that. I suppose that means he must be getting at least £175k which is astounding for a player like Brierley!

Who or where has confirmed he's the marquee player? Ive seen nothing from offical Toronto channels