Frank Pritchard is out of the mid-season test, but eligibility changes give Samoa their strongest squad ever. England as underdogs? 

Samoa could give the whole World Cup a shake if they can develop some of these combinations. 

Shout out if I've missed any:

1. Young Tonumaipea
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joey Leilua  
4. Tim Lafai 
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Ben Roberts
7. Anthony Milford
8. Sam Kasiano
9. Kaysa Pritchard
10. Junior Paulo
11. Sia Soliola 
12. Sione Mata'utia
13. Josh McGuire

14. Leeson Ah Mau 
15. Jesse Sue
16. Issac Liu
17. Nu Brown

Leilua, McGuire seem most likely to get Aussie call-ups. Kasiano might get NZ interest. But there's plenty of depth.

NRL:
Pat Vai Vai, Kirisome Au'ava, Frank Winterstein, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Bunty Afoa, Sam Lisone, Ken Maumalo, Peter Mata'utia, Pat Mata'utia, Chanel Mata'utia, Daniel Vidot, Matt Wright, Peta Godinet, Erin Clark, Mason Lino

SL: 
Krisnan Inu, Harrison Hanson, Willie Isa, Junior Moors, Lama Tasi. Thomas Lealuai has Samoan heritage so might be a veteran presence if overlooked by NZ. 

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

Not a bad halves partnership 

They didn't have much of a choice of halves when they played in the 4 Nations. This potential selection is much better.

It should be a great test of England's mettle, if Samoa can get the majority of the players mentioned in the OP.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It should be a great test of England's mettle, if Samoa can get the majority of the players mentioned in the OP.

Absolutely. A hard-fought, physical win in a hastily organised game would do wonders for English confidence. 

NB I edited the OP to take Lolohea out. No strong reason ... other than his Tongan heritage ... oops. Nu Brown is still solid, though. 

54 minutes ago, B rad said:

Have they selected the team yet?

Was wondering the same myself. Haven't seen it mentioned.

A few more I forgot - John Asiata, Suaia Matagi and Nelson Asofa-Solomona all qualify too.

Aparently Milford and McGuire confirmed their eligibility. With Widdop out, this game is shaping as a cracker. 

43 minutes ago, jenson said:

A few more I forgot - John Asiata, Suaia Matagi and Nelson Asofa-Solomona all qualify too.

Aparently Milford and McGuire confirmed their eligibility. With Widdop out, this game is shaping as a cracker. 

Surely Asofa Solomona must be on the NZ shortlist?

Toa Samoa Squad
NB: Players are listed in alphabetical order with an additional player to be included following the completion of Round 9 NRL Telstra Premiership matches.
Leeson Ah Mau – St George Illawarra Dragons
John Asiata - North Queensland Cowboys
Fa'amanu Brown – Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Herman Ese'ese – Brisbane Broncos
Sam Kasiano – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Tim Lafai - St George Illawarra Dragons
Joseph Leilua – Canberra Raiders
Isaac Liu – Sydney Roosters
Josh McGuire– Brisbane Broncos
Peter Mata'utia – Newcastle Knights
Sione Mata'utia - Newcastle Knights
Suaia Matagi – Parramatta Eels
Anthony Milford – Brisbane Broncos
David Nofoaluma – Wests Tigers
Kaysa Pritchard – Parramatta Eels
Sauaso Sue – Wests Tigers
Antonio Winterstein – North Queensland Cowboys

On 28/04/2017 at 9:09 AM, jenson said:

You also forgot Jesse Sene Lefao

On 4/21/2017 at 6:36 AM, jenson said:

Frank Pritchard is out of the mid-season test, but eligibility changes give Samoa their strongest squad ever. England as underdogs? 

Samoa could give the whole World Cup a shake if they can develop some of these combinations. 

Shout out if I've missed any:

1. Young Tonumaipea
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joey Leilua  
4. Tim Lafai 
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Ben Roberts
7. Anthony Milford
8. Sam Kasiano
9. Kaysa Pritchard
10. Junior Paulo
11. Sia Soliola 
12. Sione Mata'utia
13. Josh McGuire

14. Leeson Ah Mau 
15. Jesse Sue
16. Issac Liu
17. Nu Brown

Leilua, McGuire seem most likely to get Aussie call-ups. Kasiano might get NZ interest. But there's plenty of depth.

NRL:
Pat Vai Vai, Kirisome Au'ava, Frank Winterstein, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Bunty Afoa, Sam Lisone, Ken Maumalo, Peter Mata'utia, Pat Mata'utia, Chanel Mata'utia, Daniel Vidot, Matt Wright, Peta Godinet, Erin Clark, Mason Lino

SL: 
Krisnan Inu, Harrison Hanson, Willie Isa, Junior Moors, Lama Tasi. Thomas Lealuai has Samoan heritage so might be a veteran presence if overlooked by NZ. 

I doubt McGuire will be even close to an Australian Test spot.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 20/4/2017 at 10:36 PM, jenson said:

SL: 

NZ don't select non NRL based players.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

3 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

NZ don't select non NRL based players.

None of those players would be any chance anyway.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Back on topic, it's a bit worrying that a lot of people here are against the use of 1 or 2 Aussie-English player for England because if they are not chosen by Australia they 'are not good enough to beat the Aussies", and now we're talking about a good and reliable test against a side (Samoa) full of players 'not good enough" for the Kiwis/Australia's side. 

4 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Back on topic, it's a bit worrying that a lot of people here are against the use of 1 or 2 Aussie-English player for England because if they are not chosen by Australia they 'are not good enough to beat the Aussies", and now we're talking about a good and reliable test against a side (Samoa) full of players 'not good enough" for the Kiwis/Australia's side. 

Why do you have a bee in your bonnet about this? Samoa can do what they like. As one of only two fully professional leagues in the world we (England) shouldn't need to select average heritage Aussies especially in the positions they have been selected in.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Why do you have a bee in your bonnet about this? Samoa can do what they like. As one of only two fully professional leagues in the world we (England) shouldn't need to select average heritage Aussies especially in the positions they have been selected in.

And why are they 'average'? Cause they'v been overlooked by the Aussies? 

The same can be said about Samoans but it's become a tough test etc.

I'm not discussing the legitimacy of the selections (I'm 100% sure a guy with an English family is actually English), but the "you don't beat the Aussies with the players they didn't want" and they considering a tough test a match against a team full of players the Aussies and the Kiwis didn't want.

If it's actually true an Australian 2nd choice is not good enough for England, England will smash Samoa tomorrow. Simply logic.

Great performance from the men in white. It had all the makings of an ambush but they showed great composure and discipline to wear Samoa down. The playmakers showed their class. 

Hopefully Samoa (and the undercards from Tonga, Fiji & PNG) gained confidence and combination to put in competitive performances at the end of the year. Also hoping the growth of this weekend inspires commitment to a similar SL break with Scotland, Wales, France, Ireland in the years to come. Gives everyone something to plan for and build off.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:09 PM, jenson said:

Great performance from the men in white. It had all the makings of an ambush but they showed great composure and discipline to wear Samoa down. The playmakers showed their class. 

Hopefully Samoa (and the undercards from Tonga, Fiji & PNG) gained confidence and combination to put in competitive performances at the end of the year. Also hoping the growth of this weekend inspires commitment to a similar SL break with Scotland, Wales, France, Ireland in the years to come. Gives everyone something to plan for and build off.

100% agree.

I really loved PNG.

Archived