Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bamfordsbeans

Well done BBC

26 posts in this topic

There is a good article on the BBC web site featuring Seamus McCallion  and his memories from the great Fax side of the mid 80's.

As pointed out in the article,it was in the days when the Challenge Cup Final was the main day of the RL season.

Personally it brings back great memories-particularly on the Sunday night drinking out of the Challenge Cup in the Plummet Line .

4 people like this

I enjoyed the article, too.

I suppose after Super League came in with all it's so called glitz and glamour it was inevitable that the League GF would eventually replace the challenge cup final as the season's showpiece. That's not to say that the challenge cup isn't doing OK though. It's hardly the case that no-one turns up to the final anymore.

1 person likes this

I too thought it was a terrific article.

I'd still prefer to score a last minute winner at Wembley than Old Trafford.

4 people like this

When you see the clips from the 80's and early 90's it reminds you how huge the Challenge Cup Final was and what we have lost as a game. It was just a fantastic occasion.

Although the old Wembley was a dump it has never been the same since those times. Obviously the Super League Final has taken away from it but I think the on the road finals at Murrayfield et al and the rebuilding of Wembley also damaged it immensely too. Groups and people went to the Challenge Cup for the weekend year in, year out and many stopped in this period and simply never started again when we went back to the New Wembley.

2 people like this

Here's the link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/39577455

The picture of Seamus speaking to his dad through the fence is redolent of the eighties...

BTW, there was a commentator on Radio Leeds who had difficulty pronouncing 'Seamus' for some reason and used to call him 'Sean' in his match commentaries.

Last thing I heard was that Seamus was a Physio.

1 person likes this

Yeah I really enjoyed that

Excellen stuff and Aunty shows she can be a " Done good, Run strong" product makes you wonder what held her back all these years?

And as for this as a quote:

" It was a far different time for the 'professionals' of rugby league, whose time on the pitch amounted to little more than an extremely privileged hobby. "  Chuffin' Brilliant!

I worked in Halifax from 1986-1990 and although I wasn't into RL then, the people who I worked with were so I heard all about them. The 87 cup final day i was working OT and got off the train early  on the Saturday morning to find what seemed like the whole town waiting to get a train to London. Absolutely mountains of cans of Websters bitter and many people already at it. I remember thinking how much fun they seemed to be having....

I was there as a young whipper snapper the day Halifax clinched the championship in 1986. It was a 13-all draw with Featherstone. Halifax needed a point to win the championship and Rovers needed a point to avoid relegation IIRC?

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole 76 minutes before the hooter sounded :D (The good old days!)

1 person likes this

It was a great time and the stories of the likes of Seamus, Geoff "Wildman" Robinson, Joe Kilroy.Chris Anderson are all true and What made winning the League and later Cup so special. Such things would never go on today! The team spirit amongst the Fans and players was unique. The amount of beer the players drunk never mind Fans are well known.

For me it was the end of an era. The game Led by Wigan pushed itself in to spending money it didnt have. At the end even Wigan and Leeds ended up with huge debts. The game has moved on now and players cant do such things like drinking huge amount of beer. The game has moved on to being the fastest and physically toughest (Athletic wise) on grass in the World. 

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I worked in Halifax from 1986-1990 and although I wasn't into RL then, the people who I worked with were so I heard all about them. The 87 cup final day i was working OT and got off the train early  on the Saturday morning to find what seemed like the whole town waiting to get a train to London. Absolutely mountains of cans of Websters bitter and many people already at it. I remember thinking how much fun they seemed to be having....

Yes it's hard to remember that when you're on this forum isn't it,Johnoco?

Fun?

puzzled.png

1 person likes this

I recall going to I think the semi final at headingly?? as a nuetral it was an amazing experience; running onto the pitch with the Fax supporters even as Leeds fan was something that will stay with me for a long time. ( it was defo at headingly but they went two years running'?)

I was only about 18 months old so have no memories of this but everyone seems to have a story. I know that my mum was far from impressed with my dad as she was due to give birth to my sister and he went on the lash to Wembley (she got her own back though she wouldn't allow her to be called Eadie). Apparently the town centre was dead and they gave the result over the tannoy in Boots.

Also heard a story that at the semi (not sure whether 87 or 88) that one of the opposition fans ran onto the pitch, had a few words with the ref and then legged it to take refuge amongst the fax fans. After a bit of a shoeing he came flying back out a lot quicker than when he went in.

7 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

It was a great time and the stories of the likes of Seamus, Geoff "Wildman" Robinson, Joe Kilroy.Chris Anderson are all true and What made winning the League and later Cup so special. Such things would never go on today! The team spirit amongst the Fans and players was unique. The amount of beer the players drunk never mind Fans are well known.

For me it was the end of an era. The game Led by Wigan pushed itself in to spending money it didnt have. At the end even Wigan and Leeds ended up with huge debts. The game has moved on now and players cant do such things like drinking huge amount of beer. The game has moved on to being the fastest and physically toughest (Athletic wise) on grass in the World. 

Smokin Joe Kilroy on a motorbike in his living room when he should have been plying a match...

One of the players driving the minibus and crashing it and the team members running off... can't remember which one jumped in the River Calder, or was it the canal...

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Webster's bitter was one of the drawbacks about Halifax in the past.

Mind you it was an effective remedy for constipation.

1 person likes this

You got waterlogged on Webster bitter before you got pi$$ed. Used to sell it in our student union (mid 80's so similar time) it was cheap so the drink of choice 

4 hours ago, longboard said:

Webster's bitter was one of the drawbacks about Halifax in the past.

Mind you it was an effective remedy for constipation.

I know, I drunk it in the Pot O'Four once.

On 21/04/2017 at 9:29 PM, shaun mc said:

You got waterlogged on Webster bitter before you got pi$$ed. Used to sell it in our student union (mid 80's so similar time) it was cheap so the drink of choice 

Proper beer that 3.8proof? Drink all night.

I was at Wembley 1962 Wakefield beat Huddersfield then a week later lost championship playoff at Odsal gteat days more exciting than today. But then I was young and excitable going to these exotic places from Wakefield.

For me it's something we should push more. On Sky there is "Time of their lives" or whatever it's called where famous sportspeople talk about their memories of sporting achievement. Also NFL have America's game where the Superbowl winning teams of the past tell their story. RL have been mentioned on  time of their lives with Edwards, Offiah and Hanley sharing their memories. We can have The Leeds Rhinos "golden generation" (cries), obviously Halifax 87, Bradford back to back titles under Fox, Widnes Laughton years etc etc

1 person likes this

" .....obviously Halifax 87, Bradford back to back titles under Fox, Widnes Laughton years etc etc ...."

Sounds like an invitation to "Sunday bloody Sunday" to me.

Great stuff!

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

" .....obviously Halifax 87, Bradford back to back titles under Fox, Widnes Laughton years etc etc ...."

Sounds like an invitation to "Sunday bloody Sunday" to me.

Great stuff!

You have to remember where you came from. Plus you missed off the Leeds Rhinos golden generation!

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

For me it's something we should push more. On Sky there is "Time of their lives" or whatever it's called where famous sportspeople talk about their memories of sporting achievement. Also NFL have America's game where the Superbowl winning teams of the past tell their story. RL have been mentioned on  time of their lives with Edwards, Offiah and Hanley sharing their memories. We can have The Leeds Rhinos "golden generation" (cries), obviously Halifax 87, Bradford back to back titles under Fox, Widnes Laughton years etc etc

There's a book I bought as a Kindle download called 'Match of my Life', which had accounts by 14 Wigan players about a game that was personally significant to them.

Rugby League has been a bit late on the scene when it comes to celebrating people, events and eras, but there is more material coming out all the time. Electronic publishing has been a great boon for RL. Companies like Scratching Shed are also doing fine work.

Edited by Futtocks
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Mumby Magic said:

You have to remember where you came from. Plus you missed off the Leeds Rhinos golden generation!

Are there people who forget?

I didn't "miss" Leeds off it was intentional, I'm a bit bored with how often they've been mentioned.;)

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There's a book I bought as a Kindle download called 'Match of my Life', which had accounts by 14 Wigan players about a game that was personally significant to them.

Rugby League has been a bit late on the scene when it comes to celebrating people, events and eras, but there is more material coming out all the time. Electronic publishing has been a great boon for RL. Companies like Scratching Shed are also doing fine work.

Exactly. We have stories to match other sports. Don Fox, Pendlebury's Tackle, Karalius, name passes me as I type but the player who broke collarbone/arm and played on in the 50's for Britain etc