Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thepimp007

Autobiographies

43 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a couple of autobiographies to take away with me, can anybody recommend any? I like them with funny stories in ala Long and Morley. Just seeing if anyone has read any of the others that might be worth getting?

I was never a fan of Long (being a Leeds fan) but his book is fantastic! one of the best autobiographies ive read

Seniors is not too bad, few chapters about the old RL drinking culture which i enjoyed

Bit more depth than the ones mentioned but I really liked both of Wayne Bennett's books. Reading them gives you a sense of why he has been such a successful coach. 

9 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Bit more depth than the ones mentioned but I really liked both of Wayne Bennett's books. Reading them gives you a sense of why he has been such a successful coach. 

23 minutes ago, Moc said:

I was never a fan of Long (being a Leeds fan) but his book is fantastic! one of the best autobiographies ive read

Seniors is not too bad, few chapters about the old RL drinking culture which i enjoyed

Thanks, must admit I prefer the easy read of drinking stories and training and games rather than the in depth ones. I thoroughly enjoyed Longs was a great read made me chuckle quite a bit

Just now, thepimp007 said:

Thanks, must admit I prefer the easy read of drinking stories and training and games rather than the in depth ones. I thoroughly enjoyed Longs was a great read made me chuckle quite a bit

The white jeans story had me in tears - might read it again after this

Leon Pryce got a book out soon called - Pryceless - haha

Just now, Moc said:

The white jeans story had me in tears - might read it again after this

Leon Pryce got a book out soon called - Pryceless - haha

Haha can imagine the b'n'b guys face when he turned up! Yeah I saw even being a bradford fan im on the fence about reading it

Anyone read Hocks book?

Would have needed a decent editor I imagine

I have read 90% of league biographies, Briers is a good one as is Morleys. I collect them all, sad i know. Not got any of Bennetts yet. Cant beat a good book Kindle has wrecked this.

28 minutes ago, Moc said:

Anyone read Hocks book?

Would have needed a decent editor I imagine

1 hour ago, thepimp007 said:

Thinking of buying a couple of autobiographies to take away with me, can anybody recommend any? I like them with funny stories in ala Long and Morley. Just seeing if anyone has read any of the others that might be worth getting?

Doesn't take to much time to read Hock's book, compared to Longy's he is a choir boy, we obviously have a different idea of what makes a good book, I found Longs book to be quite tedious, a few of the best - in my opinion - Made for Rugby, Barrie McDermott, -Simply Rad, Kris Radlikski - No pain no Gain, Kevin Ward - A Life in Rugby League, Malcolm Reilly, and the Shangri-La series by Dave Sampson is very good.

Have a look on Amazon a lot can be purchased for very little money, if you don't mind them being second hand. 

Stanley Gene - Daydream Believer. Trust me.

Parts of it are, quite frankly, nuts.

1 person likes this

Best rugby league autobiography ever, bar none......

Terry Clawson, all the wrong moves.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I've heard rumours of his antics outside of rugby can imagine it is I will be getting that one ha

34 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Doesn't take to much time to read Hock's book, compared to Longy's he is a choir boy, we obviously have a different idea of what makes a good book, I found Longs book to be quite tedious, a few of the best - in my opinion - Made for Rugby, Barrie McDermott, -Simply Rad, Kris Radlikski - No pain no Gain, Kevin Ward - A Life in Rugby League, Malcolm Reilly, and the Shangri-La series by Dave Sampson is very good.

Have a look on Amazon a lot can be purchased for very little money, if you don't mind them being second hand. 

Definitely going to get Barrie Mc's

Lee Crooks; From Hull to Hell and Back. One of the best books I've read pulls no punches.

Brad Fittler: Freddy.

Edited by Irish Saint

7 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Best rugby league autobiography ever, bar none......

Terry Clawson, all the wrong moves.

This and Cec Thompson's are excellent. Barry Mac's is a decent read too.

If you have trouble sleeping try Dean Bell.

17 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Big Artie, Arthur Beetson.One of the best Rugby League books going.No punches pulled in this book.

No punches pulled by Artie , full stop !!

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This and Cec Thompson's are excellent. Barry Mac's is a decent read too.

If you have trouble sleeping try Dean Bell.

Amazing story of Cec and an inspirational and legendary guy fondly remembered in these parts as I'm sure elsewhere

Another vote here for Cec Thompson's book, Born on the wrong Side. An inspiring story, in so many ways.

My dad used to tell me how he couldn't sign an autograph but was determined to educate himself and got a degree . Also cleaned my dads windows ! 

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

When Stanley lived in Hull, some unfortunate miscreant broke into his house while he was in bed. Stan heard the noise and came charging down the stairs. Not surprisingly, the scamp fled in terror but, equally unsurprisingly, Stan caught him before he managed to run a few yards. Stan pinned him up against a garage and snarled at him : "In my country, we chop the hands of thieves like you!".

Presumably after having to throw his soiled jeans away, I imagine that lad is probably a vicar somewhere by now.

9 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Not RL but 'The Mighty Waltzer' is a wonderful read if you're looking for a sporting semi-autobiographical book.  Beautifully written by a superb author.

5 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

When Stanley lived in Hull, some unfortunate miscreant broke into his house while he was in bed. Stan heard the noise and came charging down the stairs. Not surprisingly, the scamp fled in terror but, equally unsurprisingly, Stan caught him before he managed to run a few yards. Stan pinned him up against a garage and snarled at him : "In my country, we chop the hands of thieves like you!".

Presumably after having to throw his soiled jeans away, I imagine that lad is probably a vicar somewhere by now.

After the incident in Steve McNamara's car, Stanley certainly knows a thing or two about soiled jeans...

It isn't all wild antics, though. There are some very touching parts about his rather complicated family upbringing.

Edited by Futtocks

I've read Andrew Johns and Mally Reillys books.  Both good reads. Johns shows what a complex character he was and probably is still.  Mals is written just how Mal is - straight to the point and has an interesting array of motivational quotes at the back.

JPs book is ok, but imo written too early in his life.  Morleys is also ok, but I couldn't handle Longs book at all, nor Lee Crooks effort.  

It would be interesting to read more on Johnny Whitelys life.  A book might just happen.  Such a shame we couldn't hear memoirs and stories from Roger Millward.

1 person likes this