Sign in to follow this  
Havenwarrior

Abusing Officials

Went to the Brow v Skirlaugh game today. The abuse the young Touch Judge received was way out of order.

Its about time Players and fans realise that if this continues there will be no officials to officiate their games.

In my opinion the lad was too young to be officiating an Open age game, looked at the most 14.

I know they have to get experience, but they will be chased away, if nothing is done.

HW

• Like 1

Ref should stop the game .

Ask the people abusing the linesman(boy) to leave the game or betterstill ask them to grab the flag and run the line .

If the person is that youing and the abuse is that bad maybe the police need calling .

The Young linesman in question looked about 10,didn't have a bad game to be honest,far better than the whistle happy ref.

• Like 1

The TJ should have reported the incident to the ref who should have had the person removed or abandoned the game

If you don't clamp down on the sort of abuse described then it will quickly become the norm and eventually escalate

• Like 2

Officials in semi pro or professional rugby league probably expect some grief from fans but in the amateur game they should be left to do their job free from harassment and any form of verbals. If this continues there won't be any officials left and then we will be in a mess won't we?.I know that sometimes it's difficult as it's a full on sport but sometimes you have to bite your lip.I watch amateur rugby league and I have to keep my opinions to myself sometimes.

• Like 2

I ref football, young lads (u 16) are not allowed to ref men's football. So should not be tj or linos either. All sports clubs must have a child welfare officer, and incidents should be reported to them. No reporting lets players/supporters get away with it. The ref should send the player/supporter off if abuse was bad. A warning 1st would help. A lad of the age mentioned shouldn't have even been asked. Perhaps refs younger brother?

Edited by kev p
Misread original blog

11 minutes ago, kev p said:

I ref football, young lads (u 16) are not allowed to ref men's football. So should not be tj or linos either. All sports clubs must have a child welfare officer, and incidents should be reported to them. No reporting lets players/supporters get away with it. The ref should send the player/supporter off if abuse was bad. A warning 1st would help. A lad of the age mentioned shouldn't have even been asked. Perhaps refs younger brother?

Doesn't matter what age any official is .At 68 I love to run the line mainly to keep fit and also to be part of the matchday atmosphere with our players ,but no more, fed up of being abused by players who don't know what a club touch judge can do and not do.Like Havenwarrier states no one will want to be a match official shortly and it will affect the lower leagues first, the ones who don't supply liners.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Smeaton said:

Stop telling lies Al Fall you're 69 not 68

Keep that between ourselves Mr Smeaton or you'll be walking home from Barrow on Saturday.