TRL Helpdesk - second hand pressure cooker

I have today taken ownership of a second hand pressure cooker. I don't think it has been used for many years. It was my late Grandma's.

It is a Prestige. Everything looks ok, the bottom of the pan is a little mottled in colour but no sign of defects or serious discolouration. The lid has the rubber gasket and the knob in the middle and the turny one at the base of the handle.

Is there something I should check beyond aesthetics? I ask because pressure cookers scare the bejeesus out of me.

Never owned one, but the main things I'd check would be that the pressure valve works and the condition of the rubber gasket (can go funny with age).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you know the make and model, you can always try Google, you might find some kind of manual for you to put your mind at rest about using it.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I have today taken ownership of a second hand pressure cooker. I don't think it has been used for many years. It was my late Grandma's.

It is a Prestige. Everything looks ok, the bottom of the pan is a little mottled in colour but no sign of defects or serious discolouration. The lid has the rubber gasket and the knob in the middle and the turny one at the base of the handle.

Is there something I should check beyond aesthetics? I ask because pressure cookers scare the bejeesus out of me.

Put it in the bin.

Archived