Starting Rugby As an Adult

Hi,

First post here, just after a bit of advice about starting the game as an adult with no experience (27 y/o ), so I thought I'd put the feelers out online. I have played a couple of Union games a few years ago but never stuck with it as training wasn't available, it was straight into a full game, which I loved but found it was absolutely loads to take in rule wise for a newbie payer (just being on a rugby pitch/keeping position was a massive new thing for me), I never had the chance to 'ease into the game' so to speak. League to me is more appealing but seems as though you have to be 'in it' from a young age, which I never was. Looks to me like amateur league sides have always had much bigger, fitter, faster players, even at low levels. I'm also what you'd call a slimmer build but always been into strength training and other individual contact sports. I want a sport to dedicate myself to and I'm self disciplined with training.

I have joined a local tag league to get my ball skills up, and plan to work on strength. What sort of advice would you give someone like me to get into playing the sport, or have I just missed the boat and should consider settling for a Union social side?

Thanks in advance! :) 

To be honest, you've already taken the right first step as regards joining a Tag league.

As for the next step, it does rather depend on where you are, geographically speaking.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you say slim - how slim? Do you think you're strong enough to play in the backs for example once your conditioning is better? If not, I'd stick to tag rugby for now and then work on strength in an off season as strength training and playing matches tend to not work with each other. (Strength training meaning less volume, thus your "fitness" will decrease so either your match fitness will become worse or you won't get the full benefits of your training). Never known any players to work on strength/size in the middle of a season. They essentially do "top up" sessions so they can maintain.

All of this only applies if you are strong/fit enough to play in the 3/4s for example. If you are, I say go for it as contact is such a huge part of rugby I feel you'd be missing out on a major part of the game by not doing it if you are capable.

just go for it if you have the chance to have a club closed to your location. tag is great to combine. 

for me, what makes the difference is the conditionning. the rest, you will adapt and learn by practicing, so go for it

Look for a local merit league team and get in touch with them. They're usually always after players and it's built around the social side of the game. 

If you're a bit unsure at first, ask if you can watch a training session and get a feel for it. Then join in when you're ready.

There's loads of people like you out there that aren't sure where to start. That's what the merit league is built for. Hopefully there'll be a local side.

Hope it all goes well. Good luck!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Join club .

Go training .

Get fitted mouth guide .

Pay subs .

Have a game .( Run around , tackle anyone with the ball thats not in your team , catch the ball and run for the gaps not at the man , everything else will fall into place .)

Have a beer .

Recover , hopefully before next game .

good luck

Thanks everyone for your replies, I didn't expect such a massive reply - what a forum!

I'll try to answer all points.

On build/contact - I'm 5, 8.5 and about 11.4 stone, so not big but I have done boxing/bits of mma and I think am strong-ish as I got up to a 160kg deadlift a couple of years ago, which for someone at 72kg is alright. I have also played 2 union games and I loved the rough and tumble to be honest, all a bit of fun. I will have to get back to my previous strength level.

On the merit league - I didn't know that was what merit meant, sounds perfect. I now live in Manchester so I'm not far from the Mancunians (that's where the tag will be next week) and I believe they are merit division. I am from Leigh which was where I played the 2 union games for a 4th XV, the RL teams there are of a very solid level so I never bothered to enquire.

To be completely honest, I was more bothered about what amateur RL teams cater for size-wise as, just wanted confirmation of whether it was a case of they'll take one look at you and kindly tell you there's no potential.

Thanks again for all the advice, I think I'll ask a few people at Tag about merit leagues and use the next couple of months to learn skills with a view to going contact.

12 minutes ago, NorthernNorthman said:

That's good to hear :) From the replies here, it seems like it was a preconception I'd just made up!

If Rob Burrow or Jamie Sandy were big enough to play RL, you certainly are!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good luck mate. As has already been said on here, merit league will be the way forward. 

One of the great things about our sport is the fact that it caters for every size and shape, so that doesn't come into it. 

Might be curveball, but it might be an idea to pay a few visits to your local u14s or u15s. 

Mention to their coaches that you are completely new to the game and if it's ok if you watch or even help out at a few sessions. 

That way you will learn the correct technique of trivial things like catch and pass, tackling, defensive line, positional play etc, that the open age team mean skip past, assuming that you already know. You would obviously have to have a DBS check done, but they're only cheap, but it would really open your eyes to the little intricacies of the sport that make a huge difference. 

I have had players join our team in the past that have been playing for years, but have never actually been told how you hold a ball when passing or what side your head goes when your tackling etc. 

I coach an u15s team in Warrington, and i would be more than happy to help, or you have teams like Folly Lane, Salford etc on your doorstep which may be easier for you to get to. 

13 hours ago, NorthernNorthman said:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I didn't expect such a massive reply - what a forum!

I'll try to answer all points.

On build/contact - I'm 5, 8.5 and about 11.4 stone, so not big but I have done boxing/bits of mma and I think am strong-ish as I got up to a 160kg deadlift a couple of years ago, which for someone at 72kg is alright. I have also played 2 union games and I loved the rough and tumble to be honest, all a bit of fun. I will have to get back to my previous strength level.

On the merit league - I didn't know that was what merit meant, sounds perfect. I now live in Manchester so I'm not far from the Mancunians (that's where the tag will be next week) and I believe they are merit division. I am from Leigh which was where I played the 2 union games for a 4th XV, the RL teams there are of a very solid level so I never bothered to enquire.

To be completely honest, I was more bothered about what amateur RL teams cater for size-wise as, just wanted confirmation of whether it was a case of they'll take one look at you and kindly tell you there's no potential.

Thanks again for all the advice, I think I'll ask a few people at Tag about merit leagues and use the next couple of months to learn skills with a view to going contact.

I personally think the most impostant thing of all that is that you have boxed/mma'd. If you are ok taking a knock, then you'll be fine playing. I am jealous. Get out there and enjoy!

5 hours ago, Sco77 said:

Good luck mate. As has already been said on here, merit league will be the way forward. 

One of the great things about our sport is the fact that it caters for every size and shape, so that doesn't come into it. 

Might be curveball, but it might be an idea to pay a few visits to your local u14s or u15s. 

Mention to their coaches that you are completely new to the game and if it's ok if you watch or even help out at a few sessions. 

That way you will learn the correct technique of trivial things like catch and pass, tackling, defensive line, positional play etc, that the open age team mean skip past, assuming that you already know. You would obviously have to have a DBS check done, but they're only cheap, but it would really open your eyes to the little intricacies of the sport that make a huge difference. 

I have had players join our team in the past that have been playing for years, but have never actually been told how you hold a ball when passing or what side your head goes when your tackling etc. 

I coach an u15s team in Warrington, and i would be more than happy to help, or you have teams like Folly Lane, Salford etc on your doorstep which may be easier for you to get to. 

Thanks for the lengthy advice mate, that does seem like a good idea. I used to live not far from Warrington, in Leigh, but as you said right now it is probably a bit out of my way. If I'm ever back in the area or move closer, it's good to know there's someone willing to lend a hand. I'll definitely check out the two other clubs you mentioned. Cheers :)

3 hours ago, zorquif said:

I personally think the most impostant thing of all that is that you have boxed/mma'd. If you are ok taking a knock, then you'll be fine playing. I am jealous. Get out there and enjoy!

Yeah, that's a good point, I am used to contact, just not on a field, with boots, playing a running sport. But that appeals to me and sure I will pick it up in time!

Archived