Shocking king-hit on referee in French rugby league Toulouse match

That guy was known for violence. He was banned last year for punching and kicking an opponent lying prone on the ground. 

He's banned for life, great. It's up to Benjamin to decide to press charges or not. I just hope he recovers well and that it won't stop him from refereeing as he is very good at it.

That being said, that player was able to walk off the field without problems (other than being dropped by the winger he tried to hit), spent time with guys at the stadium, had a drink, shook hands with other guys and wasn't told to go. I expected, at least, that a senior guy would come and tell him to get the out but it didn't happen.

21 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

That guy was known for violence. He was banned last year for punching and kicking an opponent lying prone on the ground. 

He's banned for life, great. It's up to Benjamin to decide to press charges or not. I just hope he recovers well and that it won't stop him from refereeing as he is very good at it.

That being said, that player was able to walk off the field without problems (other than being dropped by the winger he tried to hit), spent time with guys at the stadium, had a drink, shook hands with other guys and wasn't told to go. I expected, at least, that a senior guy would come and tell him to get the out but it didn't happen.

i could not believe this when it happened. But what you are explaining is even more shocking.

It was 12 all and 30 mins into the match when it happened, it's toulouse v St esteve in the under 20s cup semi final , St esteve play in the division below match was abandoned and toulouse play in the final next week v avignon,

Benjamin the ref has been trying to keep a low profile and asked to have the video taken off the French Internet sites but now it's on English sites, he asked rugby league fans on Facebook to take it off but they won't, 

He says it gives league a bad name, he has pressed charges and is back reffing this weekend at the magic weekend where they're using the two ref system,

Luckily he just has a bruised jaw but he could have killed him! Is this what the aussies call a king hit! Benjamin had his arm in the air and the other on the whistle in his mouth! 

18 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It was 12 all and 30 mins into the match when it happened, it's toulouse v St esteve in the under 20s cup semi final , St esteve play in the division below match was abandoned and toulouse play in the final next week v avignon,

Benjamin the ref has been trying to keep a low profile and asked to have the video taken off the French Internet sites but now it's on English sites, he asked rugby league fans on Facebook to take it off but they won't, 

He says it gives league a bad name, he has pressed charges and is back reffing this weekend at the magic weekend where they're using the two ref system,

Luckily he just has a bruised jaw but he could have killed him! Is this what the aussies call a king hit! Benjamin had his arm in the air and the other on the whistle in his mouth! 

It's also called a "coward punch" in Australia.

This is one of the very rare times that domestic french rugby league has been in the Australian media.

We had one before Christmas in the under 20s one player kicked three of our players in the head whilst they where on the floor, he got 6 matches to serve and 2 suspended! Young fiery Catalans eh heavy winger, 

The player on the video has been given sine die thankfully! Probably just go and play union now! 

Good that he's banned by RL, and I hope the law also treat him as harshly as he deserves.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

We had one before Christmas in the under 20s one player kicked three of our players in the head whilst they where on the floor, he got 6 matches to serve and 2 suspended! Young fiery Catalans eh heavy winger, 

The player on the video has been given sine die thankfully! Probably just go and play union now! 

Was it the same guy?

I know that the guy who punched Benjamin kicked a Lescure player and got 6 games.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

It's also called a "coward punch" in Australia.

This is one of the very rare times that domestic french rugby league has been in the Australian media.

First and only time, I'd say!  Was probably met with typical reactions like: "I didn't know they play NRL in France"

Archived