Samoa Squad

Now we can argue if these Australian-Samoans represent Samoa...

Leeson Ah Mau – St George Illawarra Dragons
John Asiata – North Queensland Cowboys
Fa’amanu Brown – Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Herman Ese’ese – Brisbane Broncos
Sam Kasiano – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Tim Lafai – St George Illawarra Dragons
Joseph Leilua – Canberra Raiders
Isaac Liu – Sydney Roosters
Josh McGuire– Brisbane Broncos
Peter Mata’utia – Newcastle Knights
Sione Mata’utia – Newcastle Knights
Suaia Matagi – Parramatta Eels
Anthony Milford – Brisbane Broncos
David Nofoaluma – Wests Tigers
Kaysa Pritchard – Parramatta Eels
Sauaso Sue – Wests Tigers
Antonio Winterstein – North Queensland Cowboys

Solid squad that, bit short in the spine leaving a lot of work for Milford but should be a big challenge for us. Very dangerous up front and in the outside backs.

7 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Now we can argue if these Australian-Samoans represent Samoa...

Leeson Ah Mau – St George Illawarra Dragons
John Asiata – North Queensland Cowboys
Fa’amanu Brown – Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Herman Ese’ese – Brisbane Broncos
Sam Kasiano – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Tim Lafai – St George Illawarra Dragons
Joseph Leilua – Canberra Raiders
Isaac Liu – Sydney Roosters
Josh McGuire– Brisbane Broncos
Peter Mata’utia – Newcastle Knights
Sione Mata’utia – Newcastle Knights
Suaia Matagi – Parramatta Eels
Anthony Milford – Brisbane Broncos
David Nofoaluma – Wests Tigers
Kaysa Pritchard – Parramatta Eels
Sauaso Sue – Wests Tigers
Antonio Winterstein – North Queensland Cowboys

Solid squad that, bit short in the spine leaving a lot of work for Milford but should be a big challenge for us. Very dangerous up front and in the outside backs.

Dangerous squad. Laughed a bit at Milford and McGuire..

I could've just about stomached all of those aus/NZ samoans named had this test match been played in Apia. I'm I right in believing that the samoans have only played once in Samoa in 30 years?

Leilua and Lafai gonna be a big test for Watkins and Percival in the centre's.

Gonna be a real interesting game. cant wait.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

40 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I could've just about stomached all of those aus/NZ samoans named had this test match been played in Apia. I'm I right in believing that the samoans have only played once in Samoa in 30 years?

You are, they played Fiji in Apia last year and lost 20-18

46 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

It's more economically viable if played in Campbeltown as there are very large numbers of people from the pacific living around there who earn Australian wages. 

If they gel as a team on the day, they will be very exciting and dangerous.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Percival is going to have a long afternoon. They are a genuine chance of beating us, should be a really good game.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

They ran us and the Kiwis close last time, and that was with a lesser half-back combo. This is going to be a tough one, and exactly what England need (and more often).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Very very tough , that's a proper test match team . Let's hope these Pacific island nations are allowed to be just as strong in the WC as it'll do the comp the world of good 

If they do play well, then Australia and New Zealand will pick the eyes out of the team and probably sit them on the bench most of the tournament. Cant see past their own back yards.

Brilliant squad, and great for international rugby league to have a team with a realistic chance of knocking over a tier 1 nation. The Tongan squad is great too. 

I'm all for notions of loyalty and patriotism, but in an increasingly mobile world where 'nationality' is increasingly convoluted, Rugby League is acknowledging this complexity and allowing representation of diverse heritages. It might be borne out of necessity - even desperation - to get better competition at the top level, but it might also be a point of difference in the competitive sporting landscape and help these lower tier nations build competitive, interesting RL identities.

3 hours ago, jenson said:

Brilliant squad, and great for international rugby league to have a team with a realistic chance of knocking over a tier 1 nation. The Tongan squad is great too. 

I'm all for notions of loyalty and patriotism, but in an increasingly mobile world where 'nationality' is increasingly convoluted, Rugby League is acknowledging this complexity and allowing representation of diverse heritages. It might be borne out of necessity - even desperation - to get better competition at the top level, but it might also be a point of difference in the competitive sporting landscape and help these lower tier nations build competitive, interesting RL identities.

I think the best thing that could happen for Rugby League internationally at the moment is Samoa and Tonga find a good sponsor that allows them to pay their players a similar wage to Australia and New Zealand. Suddenly our game would have 2 nations on a very similar level to the top 3 and the 3 horse race would become a 5 horse race.

I'm not sure how sponsorship works with these kind of things, if a nation just sits back and hopes someone expresses interest one day or if someone from management goes out and hunts for sponsors. If the later is the case then management should be non stop knocking on doors to try and find something. More games means more advertising for their sponsor so that would help to. New Zealand, Samoa Tonga yearly Tri-series anyone?

2 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

This game will prove that Wayne Bennett is not the man to take England forward, I think Samoa will win.

I can't believe people are saying this. Bennett is literally the best coach of all time....

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, B rad said:

If they do play well, then Australia and New Zealand will pick the eyes out of the team and probably sit them on the bench most of the tournament. Cant see past their own back yards.

with all due respect the majority of these players are born & raised in NZ & Australian backyards and are eligible to play for Samoa through ancestry. But if you mean weak regulations allowing players selected on ancestry being allowed to swap nations in the same year and governing bodies exploiting those weak regulations to bolster there teams then you have a very good point

20 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

In terms of full Test match against another Test nation, then yes, but they have held multiple senior internationals and even Pacific Cups.

Samoa weren't accepted as a Test Nation by the RLIF until the SL war in 97.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived