Sign in to follow this  
B rad

Who is your favorite player of all time?

Saw this video and got me thinking. Mine was Geoff Toovey. Before I realised the Manly club was born of Satan, I loved watching this little guy consistantly smash people twice his size. A lot more skillful especially in his younger days at half back then people gave him credit for as well.

Billy Slater. I've played fullback for the last 10 years. Not many players can fundamentally transform the expectations for a position, but Slater was the first of the new breed of fullbacks where there are expectations to be a brilliant attacker and a ballplayer on top of defensive responsibilities. He has changed what standard we now judge fullbacks to and what qualities we expect, and that is a very rare thing to say about a player. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Billy Slater. I've played fullback for the last 10 years. Not many players can fundamentally transform the expectations for a position, but Slater was the first of the new breed of fullbacks where there are expectations to be a brilliant attacker and a ballplayer on top of defensive responsibilities. He has changed what standard we now judge fullbacks to and what qualities we expect, and that is a very rare thing to say about a player. 

Did he pioneer it though? 

Whilst he's done it wonderfully well, players before him were equally adept; Minichello (sp) comes to mind immediately, as do old school English full backs, Steadman played 1 and 6 didnt he?

Not questioning Slater at all here, just wondering when the requirements of a 1 really did change.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Did he pioneer it though? 

Whilst he's done it wonderfully well, players before him were equally adept; Minichello (sp) comes to mind immediately, as do old school English full backs, Steadman played 1 and 6 didnt he?

Not questioning Slater at all here, just wondering when the requirements of a 1 really did change.

Darren Lockyer comes to mind.

I always admired Brett Kenny, he was the total package except for a kicking game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

Darren Lockyer comes to mind.

I always admired Brett Kenny, he was the total package except for a kicking game.

Aye, my mind an all.

Having a booze t'other day with an ex QLD, AUD hooker who said that Kenny was awesome... hated to admit it, but awesome. Too old an era for me :)

Darren Lockyer too, hated him with a passion when he was playing GB because of what he could do to us but at the end of the day I had to sit back and admire just how good he was.

English player? always loved Andy Gregory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Neil Fox

Greatest player I ever saw.  I think Hanley runs him close, and I think Jonathan Davies is the best Union convert I've ever seen.  But for sheer versatility, and longevity, it has to be big Neil.

I did see Bevan play and he was a revelation, I saw him score a try at Belle Vue where he mesmerised the defence, but he's not in the same class as Neil.

• Like 1

I have contemplated this question many times when it has come up in conversation - especially over a pint - and I must say it is really difficult to be to definitive.

I have watched the game well over 50 years and have seen so many players over so many eras in so many different positions, added to the fact that the game has changed so much over that period, I have a few favourites who could make up a list.

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Neil Fox

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Greatest player I ever saw.  I think Hanley runs him close, and I think Jonathan Davies is the best Union convert I've ever seen.  But for sheer versatility, and longevity, it has to be big Neil.

I did see Bevan play and he was a revelation, I saw him score a try at Belle Vue where he mesmerised the defence, but he's not in the same class as Neil.

Some of his best performances were at Wembley too so it continues to amaze me that he wasn't included amongst the Wembley Statue group. 

Yes, I know he was Yorkshire based.

• Like 1

The best I have seen is Hanley. My favourite was Brett Kenny, as he was as graceful as he was deadly.

• Like 2

Mario Fenech & Les Bundy Davidson they represented everything that was great about RL to me, Sadly there kind will never be seen again.

Wally Lewis and Ellery Hanley are the two greatest talents I've seen.