Toronto v Oxford

9 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

UK fans considering a trip be prepared for the canadian crowd.. They dont go to watch an entire game (or even half) but continually walk up and down the stands visiting the concessions and bathroms... a sort of sporting ADD. 

This is so true, but it is the same at TFC and Blue Jays games. It usually takes about 20 mins for folks to all get into place. That might not be a big deal for a baseball game, but that is a quarter of a rugby league game.

I think if there was more competitive opposition folks would be more likely to arrive on time. Also, they need to get be much better at dispensing the beer, the lines were insane and the ticket system caused a real bottleneck. I'm sure they will sort out these issues for the next game.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Scubby said:

Apparently this stadium BMO Field is only 10 minutes walk from Lamport Stadium. I would imagine they have their eye on it if things go well on and off the field.

20900-71723.jpg

What's a nice looking stadium. Who plays there? MLS side or Canadian football(gridiron) side?

There seems to be some really positive feedback from the locals looking on twitter. People seem to have really enjoyed it. Even if only half of that crowd become regular supporters that is a decent platform to build from. I certainly hope as the season goes on they start giving some local lads a lot more game time. Not only to benefit the Canadian national team, but also because it should make the games more competitive. Who really wants to watch a blowout week after week?

Just now, walter sobchak said:

What's a nice looking stadium. Who plays there? MLS side or Canadian football(gridiron) side?

Toronto FC in the MLS. I think Canada hosted the Women's Football World Cup a couple of years ago and this stadium got a massive face lift by the authorities. It is only around 10 minutes walk from Lamport Stadium so pretty close.

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

Originally just the MLS team Toronto FC but now the gridiron Argonauts play there too.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Toronto FC in the MLS. I think Canada hosted the Women's Football World Cup a couple of years ago and this stadium got a massive face lift by the authorities. It is only around 10 minutes walk from Lamport Stadium so pretty close.

It's got the look of a championship football stadium. Like an ewood park.

Just now, walter sobchak said:

It's got the look of a championship football stadium. Like an ewood park.

Toronto FC get some pretty good crowds there now. They have become a top team over the last few years.

28 minutes ago, ojx said:

This is so true, but it is the same at TFC and Blue Jays games. It usually takes about 20 mins for folks to all get into place. That might not be a big deal for a baseball game, but that is a quarter of a rugby league game.

I think if there was more competitive opposition folks would be more likely to arrive on time. Also, they need to get be much better at dispensing the beer, the lines were insane and the ticket system caused a real bottleneck. I'm sure they will sort out these issues for the next game.

Just early teething troubles - if the beer stalls know they can shift more pints with more staff, then they'll do what's necessary. And the fans who want to watch more of the match will get into the habit of arriving earlier.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, MZH said:

There seems to be some really positive feedback from the locals looking on twitter. 

And some absolutely embarrassing negativity from UK RL "fans". Honestly how can some people be so unrelentingly miserable?

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

And some absolutely embarrassing negativity from UK RL "fans". Honestly how can some people be so unrelentingly miserable?

Fear that someone may crack the (in)security of the glass ceiling. If twitter had been relevant during Catalans first year or so you would have read much the same.

5 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Some say it's genetic, others say it's inherited behaviour. I rather think it's just years and years and years of training.

Just seen a clip on Twitter of the hot dog cannon - surely a first for RL?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fear that someone may crack the (in)security of the glass ceiling. If twitter had been relevant during Catalans first year or so you would have read much the same.

Some people are just stuck in their ways and can't handle/fear change and progression.

A shot of the stand where the main camera was shooting from.

C_LLA1CXcAAjh5v.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

C_LLA1CXcAAjh5v.jpg

They only opened the other side for overflow because this side was full. Would have impressive to have had the camera on the other side. 

I have to admit that my interest in RL has been waning over the years but with the quite recent inclusion of the Wolfpack, Toulouse and the hunters into the league structure and with the recent Pacific tests my love for TGG has been rekindled. We need more expansion in the form of North American teams and French teams into the domestic British/European league pyramid and a team from Fiji into the NSW cup and Perth, NZ2 and brisbane2 into the NRL.

1 minute ago, ChrisM said:

They only opened the other side for overflow because this side was full. Would have impressive to have had the camera on the other side. 

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

C_LLA1CXcAAjh5v.jpg

Looking at pictures like this just proves that professional RL in North America can only come in the form of trans-Atlantic teams playing in British/European league pyramid and not a North American professional league.

5 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Looking at pictures like this just proves that professional RL in North America can only come in the form of trans-Atlantic teams playing in British/European league pyramid and not a North American professional league.

Would love for Montreal to get a team in 2019. The wolfpack need the rivalry.

Just now, ojx said:

Would love for Montreal to get a team in 2019. The wolfpack need the rivalry.

Montreal would be the perfect next franchise as you would have an instant rivalry with the Wolfpack and it would add a French connection with both Toulouse and the dragons.

I thought it was a great crowd considering the weather. It was helped by the fact that the Raptors and Leafs are both out of the playoffs and the Jays have had a rough start to their season. Seemed like a really fun atmosphere. The game was televised live in Canada on gametv and online via the CBC. 

There's a pretty lengthy interview with Eric Perez on the "wolfin around" podcast from last week if anyone's interested. There's a lot of non-rugby banter but the first 20 min are relevant. I've never heard someone so passionate about the sport.

In it, he mentioned that there are plans to replace the turf in future although he didn't say if it would be for next season or the one after. He also said that at the time, ticket sales for the Barrow game were already slightly ahead of the Oxford one. Should be the league 1 fixture of the season so far, can't wait. Weather should be better for that one too. 

Great start and hats off to the fans in Toronto for coming out on a miserable day and providing a great atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Montreal would be the perfect next franchise as you would have an instant rivalry with the Wolfpack and it would add a French connection with both Toulouse and the dragons.

I think it would be great but I think it would be very unlikely to succeed. What rugby culture there is in Canada is largely in Southwest British Columbia and Southern Ontario. I'd love to be wrong but I just can't see it working there. 

Heck, it's still early days and Toronto is far from a sure thing even with sound committed ownership and sponsors.

3 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Is CBC Canada's equivalent of the BBC i.e free to air TV??

Yes, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Essentially our version of the BBC. 

5 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Is CBC Canada's equivalent of the BBC i.e free to air TV??

Yes, although the game was on the streaming service, I believe, and not the main tv channel. GAME TV is available on most of the tv packages here and they're carrying the league games live. Not quite Sky Sports quality, mind you, but accessible. 

1 minute ago, Markus said:

I think it would be great but I think it would be very unlikely to succeed. What rugby culture there is in Canada is largely in Southwest British Columbia and Southern Ontario. I'd love to be wrong but I just can't see it working there. 

Heck, it's still early days and Toronto is far from a sure thing even with sound committed ownership and sponsors.

Indeed but Perez has already talked up interest from Montreal. Another Canadian/North American team you'd think would be a few years off. All depends how the Wolfpack fair.

Archived