Toronto v Oxford

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

With one difference: stop the clock when the ball goes dead and keep it stopped until the ref signals time back on when he's ready to restart the game, and coordinate that with the ad break so time remains off until the break is finished.  That way — unlike 9's practice — the TV viewers see all of the action just like in North American sports and AFL broadcasts in Australia.

I've been an advocate of this for a while.  Stop the clock and reduce the length of each half to 30 minutes.

For example, it takes well over a minute from a try being scored to kicking off again.  This weekend's Super League games had 7, 8, 9, 10, 10 and 11 tries.  I know the clock gets stopped after a minute, but that's actually quite a large percentage of the 80 minutes lost.

17 minutes ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

I've been an advocate of this for a while.  Stop the clock and reduce the length of each half to 30 minutes.

For example, it takes well over a minute from a try being scored to kicking off again.  This weekend's Super League games had 7, 8, 9, 10, 10 and 11 tries.  I know the clock gets stopped after a minute, but that's actually quite a large percentage of the 80 minutes lost.

Surely you dont think that's going to happen?  Players quickly learned how to beat the NRL shot clock and they'd do the same with that.  That format would elongate the game tremendously and could see 8pm kick offs run until 11pm.  

I can see 4x20s working, but anything similar to the grid iron format would be a no go - definitely fir the BBC.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Surely you dont think that's going to happen?  Players quickly learned how to beat the NRL shot clock and they'd do the same with that.  That format would elongate the game tremendously and could see 8pm kick offs run until 11pm.  

I can see 4x20s working, but anything similar to the grid iron format would be a no go - definitely fir the BBC.

You're right.

25 minutes each half is probably more realistic.

I attended Saturdays game Wolfpack vs Oxford. Atmosphere beforehand at the Brazen Head pub was electric, chock full of fans in their new gear (me included) brought 11 with me all loved it.

Met the guys from both teams after the beer tent and all said the experience totally rocked.

Long live RL in Canada! 

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I attended Saturdays game Wolfpack vs Oxford. Atmosphere beforehand at the Brazen Head pub was electric, chock full of fans in their new gear (me included) brought 11 with me all loved it.

Met the guys from both teams after the beer tent and all said the experience totally rocked.

Long live RL in Canada! 

Welcome aboard!

Glad you enjoyed the experience, and while 2017 will be fun, start looking forward to some really epic encounters when the Wolfpack get promoted to the next division.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

You're right.

25 minutes each half is probably more realistic.

I wish the venture well and will be interested to see how all this develops.  But, I reckon TW will have enough on next year without concerning themselves too much with getting the game time format changed.  

9 hours ago, dkw said:

See this is the kind of post that every right minded RL fan surely must love to read, genuine love for our game no matter where its played, who plays it or why its played. Its just someone watching the sport we all love and getting it. I truly hope the new fans who happen upon this forum (and others) are able to ignore the bitter, ignorant drivel spouted by some with agendas and see were all involved in this for one reason, to watch Rugby League. I`m only disappointed my team don`t get to play Toronto in Canada, I had already been given permission by my boss (wife) to go. Damn you RFL....

Come on DKW don't give up- Town finish in the eight and the trip could well be on. Refreshing post from the op and as anyone knows who goes to a RL game - you get hooked straight away.

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

I love how rugby league players are accessible and not kept in a bubble.

That still happens in Australia with its million $ players and billion $ tv deals. It's not unusual for fans in Canberra to be invited to a large social club a few hours after the game to mingle and have a drink with the players.

We don't swarm the social club either as the players do so much within the community it's easy to meet them and say "hello". 

Hey guys...word on the street is Winnipeg might want a team now.  This would probably be a better fit than Montreal.  Anyone who has ever spent time in Winnipeg knows a team would quickly thrive there.  You heard it here first!

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey guys...word on the street is Winnipeg might want a team now.  This would probably be a better fit than Montreal.  Anyone who has ever spent time in Winnipeg knows a team would quickly thrive there.  You heard it here first!

Winnipeg would be awesome, the problem is that it would face all the same challenges as Toronto but to a much greater extent (worse climate and longer flight times, with no direct flights from the UK). AFAIK there is also currently no RL presence in Manitoba. Not sure there is in Quebec either but I guess the thinking is that the logistics would be pretty much the same as Toronto, plus they wouldn't be the only French-speaking element as we already have Catalans and Toulouse (and maybe Avignon next year).

21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Do you have any links to verify this? 

31 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

A friend of mine used to conduct the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, and really liked the city while he was living there.

But the lack of direct flights and the lack of any RL at any level*, however small, compared to British Columbia or Ontario makes this feel far-fetched, even in a crazy world where Toronto have just played Oxford in front of over 6,000 fans.

*to the best of my knowledge.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, dkw said:

See this is the kind of post that every right minded RL fan surely must love to read, genuine love for our game no matter where its played, who plays it or why its played. Its just someone watching the sport we all love and getting it. I truly hope the new fans who happen upon this forum (and others) are able to ignore the bitter, ignorant drivel spouted by some with agendas and see were all involved in this for one reason, to watch Rugby League. I`m only disappointed my team don`t get to play Toronto in Canada.

Well as they'll be leaving you behind next year that may be that. However the rest of your post is quite disgraceful trying to build a them and us war on here and split us all into the old battle lines of traditional against expansionist fans.

The traditional game has seen us through over 120 years, whilst the expansion efforts (all down those years) have all been heroic (this one included) and have helped keep the dream alive of at best a game that spreads the world over, at worst a game that stays alive and holds it's own.

How silly to say that we are all involved for one reason to watch Rugby League as though the blooming obvious is some sort of revelation. What you spectacularly miss as you "write your thoughts down on here is that all of us on here are involved for one extra reason, and that is to discuss Rugby League, because for us fervent fans watching it is not enough. We love to watch it but also discuss it.

However none of us are apparently allowed to discuss Toronto openly and honestly. The "genuine right minded" faction you have invented must be allowed to declare success after success and sweep the difficulties this project has under the carpet whilst the "agenda driven ignorant drivelists" must be hounded off these threads and presumably off the board.

As I say a disgraceful post and a bad one for free speech and tolerance. 

54 minutes ago, ParraEelsNRL said:

Here's a better one.

Get Stuffed!

I have Parksider on Ignore, so I thought you were being a bit rude to Futtocks!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Hey fellas the street in question is called Portage and Main in Winnipeg.  The discussions are amongst the rugby people in that city (who are a little crazy). I don't know how to post a link yet but there was also interesting talk in a CBC chatroom after the game.  I believe it could happen.

All that i'm saying is that there is a huge potential for rugby league in this country.  I've followed alot of the conversations in the chat rooms and i find it interesting how some want to preserve the old game in the old country and don't think it will work over here.  Sure there are real barriers but the Wolfpack have overcome all of them: where there is a will there is a way.  I must tell you that while I was at the game I actually said to my wife, "Do you know how much the people in Edmonton would eat this up!?"

I know I'm really optimistic about this experiment and might not be reading the whole thing right...time will tell.  I've got my tickets for Barrow in 2 weeks.  I have nothing but respect for the rugby league thinkers on this forumn but it seems a little negative to me...I feel they might be way off the mark on Toronto but am willing to listen to the advise 'of the wise sage' who knows more about the game of league than us newbies.  I've been wrong about things before so i will listen to your double guessing and give it honest weight.,

Honestly, alot of questions will be answered with the game in 2 weeks against Barrow...I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'm predicting a sellout!  In 10-15 years, if done properly, league could be as big super big here.

Can't wait for Barrow...then we will know better.

All the best to everyone!!

23 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey fellas the street in question is called Portage and Main in Winnipeg.  The discussions are amongst the rugby people in that city (who are a little crazy). I don't know how to post a link yet but there was also interesting talk in a CBC chatroom after the game.  I believe it could happen.

All that i'm saying is that there is a huge potential for rugby league in this country.  I've followed alot of the conversations in the chat rooms and i find it interesting how some want to preserve the old game in the old country and don't think it will work over here.  Sure there are real barriers but the Wolfpack have overcome all of them: where there is a will there is a way.  I must tell you that while I was at the game I actually said to my wife, "Do you know how much the people in Edmonton would eat this up!?"

I know I'm really optimistic about this experiment and might not be reading the whole thing right...time will tell.  I've got my tickets for Barrow in 2 weeks.  I have nothing but respect for the rugby league thinkers on this forumn but it seems a little negative to me...I feel they might be way off the mark on Toronto but am willing to listen to the advise 'of the wise sage' who knows more about the game of league than us newbies.  I've been wrong about things before so i will listen to your double guessing and give it honest weight.,

Honestly, alot of questions will be answered with the game in 2 weeks against Barrow...I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'm predicting a sellout!  In 10-15 years, if done properly, league could be as big super big here.

You're experience of RL is embarking on/ developing a new future for RL and therefore have experienced something unique. It is therefore just as valid, if not more valid than someone like me who's seen little change in the fortunes of the club I follow and that's over 35 years! 

Best of luck. Just learn to ignore those who think a rant is debate.

42 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I have nothing but respect for the rugby league thinkers on this forumn but it seems a little negative to me...

If you hang around on these forums you'll notice the cultural differences. A British rugby league forum can be very different to an Australian one. Slightly different humour, different ways of seeing things, positivity vs negativity etc 

In the U.K. a significant section of fans are more "traditional".

29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just because you're new to the game doesn't mean your opinions don't have value, on the contrary everything in life needs a new set of eyes from time to time.  And yes, there are plenty of people in the RL community who go out of their way to knock down anything brought up, I think it's quite sad the level of nitpicking over the first game and the marketing of it.  No it's not been polished and perfect but 6000 people in Toronto for a C1 game against Oxford is without doubt a great start, and there is certainly continued interest for the Barrow game and more.

As far as Winnipeg goes I don't see why it couldn't end up being on the major city list eventually, should the revenue come in to support it, but it's Canadian geography that is the biggest hurdle with them being in the Prairies instead of the coasts.  In my opinion they would have to work up at it, doing local domestic leagues first and using a building up approach rather than the top down used in Toronto.  Of course that could all change if there appears a similar consortium willing to do the same as the Wolfpack consortium.  However, if that did happen, the time difference issues for part time players coming out would be exacerbated, for it to really be on the map would require being in a full time league so players have adjustment time.

With domestic work going on in Alberta already, perhaps the best opportunities would be to join forces with them and try to connect through Saskatchewan and build Prairies Rugby League using some of the Toronto squad players, or even UK or Aus/NZ players for promotion etc. 

Archived