morty

Players Visas for Toronto trip

97 posts in this topic

 

Not at all surprised by this shambles--- it is the R.F.L.'s brainchild after all. I agree --- Barrow should forfeit the fixture on the grounds of being unable to field an adequate squad. Having to cancel the game might liven a few people up. Everything is stacked against our league one sides while anybody qualifies to play for Toronto as long as they swear that they like maple syrup.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey...what wrong with maple syrup..full of vitamins and minerals and we produce alot of it up here..fun to make!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love maple syrup

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree but that would be a bit tough on Raiders supporters who have travelled.

I think the flight left early this morning.

Why has Dalli been turned away. Has he no visa. The whole thing is a pathetic farce looking at it from this side of the Atlantic.

I believe the accomodation is unsuitable as well. Cresta said on RC this morning that the accomodation for Oxford was unsuitable and Raiders have been given the same accomodation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The supporters could still make the most of the trip to Canada. Can't see the experience being enhanced by the spectacle of a vastly depleted team getting mullered by a bunch of mercenaries. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wether the team is delepted or not we will still give them a good go. Great opportunity for some of the lads who havnt had as much game time to show what theyve got and put themselves in the mix for the final next week. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2017 at 2:17 PM, 750VFR said:

Find it sad that clubs have been met with unexpected bills Bearman.

I would've thought that in the last close season the RFL had talks with Toronto during their entry negotiations.

The RFL would surely then have issued all other League 1 clubs with a pack fully explaining how those who would be travelling to Toronto should organise affairs, obtain Visas etc.

The RFL would always be mindful that it might be seven days before the trip, that squads might be announced because of injury and in a semi-pro game external commitments. Was it not York last year that only took TWELVE players to Toulouse at short notice, did the RFL learn nothing from that debacle?

As a humble, but loyal Season Ticket holding spectator I've no idea what funding clubs get nor how away travel is organised but I thought the Canadian games were to be (and should've been) cash neutral.

I welcomed the introduction of Toronto, but that was in the belief it was done in a professional manner.

Well, none of that happened!

itll cost the club £0000's. 

This has always been a nitemare! And an expensive nitemare to say the least. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that the Wolfpack are playing four games at 'home', Rounds 12-15, that's 'home' Canada not 'home' Yorkshire.

 

I wonder if their players will be staying 'at home' in Toronto over this period or coming 'home', where they live, to the UK - this is confusing? 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two 'homes' and I love travelling from one to another...not a problem...sort of nice actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a look at the Visa application system.

Not sure what the difficulties were that precluded Raiders players from travelling but I do think the RFL should've given guidance.

They want to know if you intend to work in Canada, I wonder if this was the issue?

Obviously sitting on the terraces is not work so all of us on here would've been OK as one poster points out.

I realise playing Rugby League and getting paid, even semi-pro, is working but the pedant in me says were our players going 'to work' when they were being paid and taxed in the UK.

Whenever I travelled on business to the US - and boy can they make you feel unwelcome - this matter was never raised, so if it was a problem for Canada and might've been ambiguous on the form, Red Hall guidance should've been given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 750VFR said:

Had a look at the Visa application system.

Not sure what the difficulties were that precluded Raiders players from travelling but I do think the RFL should've given guidance.

They want to know if you intend to work in Canada, I wonder if this was the issue?

Obviously sitting on the terraces is not work so all of us on here would've been OK as one poster points out.

I realise playing Rugby League and getting paid, even semi-pro, is working but the pedant in me says were our players going 'to work' when they were being paid and taxed in the UK.

Whenever I travelled on business to the US - and boy can they make you feel unwelcome - this matter was never raised, so if it was a problem for Canada and might've been ambiguous on the form, Red Hall guidance should've been given.

 

Athletes & players in teams competing in Canada do not need work permits. It's there on the CIC website. The players need the same travel documents as every other tourist, no more, no less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lifer said:

Fans don't but players will need a working visa apparently.

Sorry your wrong,they only need a $7 ETA which can be done online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whats done is done....lets move on and let the games commence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, morty said:

whats done is done....lets move on and let the games commence

Kick that ball and lets get going...don't worry the lads from Barrow are going to fight like lions!

Its going to be a hell of a game, hopefully you guys can watch from your end...I think the most exciting thing will be Moimois first run..and the Barrow Boys on him like a ton of bricks.

There were alot of Islanders at the first game (Alot!).  I can hardly wait to howl: BULA! BULA! FIAFIA MOI MOI!

Had a girlfriend in Seattle named Sia Sia Moi Moi once!

Lets get on with it!

 

Toronto Wolfpack:" WE GO!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really disappointing even for me as a TWP fan. We've all had this date circled for weeks now only to find out that Barrow is unable to send a full squad. TWP missing a couple as well but justifiably so. 

For the Barrow supporters making the trip, it will still be worth your while. Toronto is a great city to visit and the atmosphere at the Lamport looks really fun. You'll be treated well. I've tried to imagine how I'd feel if the situation were reversed and TBH I wouldn't blame the team for refusing to make the trip. 

Aside from that, the game has yet to be played. Everyone seems to be conceding this game to TWP (myself included) but it hasn't yet been played. Both teams are still 7-0 last I checked. If there's any upside to all of this, it's that Barrow have nothing to lose. Nobody expects them to win anyway so there's no pressure on them. I have a feeling they'll be going up next year irrespective of how this match turns out. 

As a Canadian rugby fan who attended the last Rugby Union World Cup, I know what it's like to fly across the Atlantic only to watch my team lose. And lose. And lose once more. At least you guys don't have it that bad :) 

I hope players and fans alike will make the most of the trip. 

Oh, and I hope the league figures this visa stuff out once and for all cuz it's effing ridiculous. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Markus said:

This is really disappointing even for me as a TWP fan. We've all had this date circled for weeks now only to find out that Barrow is unable to send a full squad. TWP missing a couple as well but justifiably so. 

For the Barrow supporters making the trip, it will still be worth your while. Toronto is a great city to visit and the atmosphere at the Lamport looks really fun. You'll be treated well. I've tried to imagine how I'd feel if the situation were reversed and TBH I wouldn't blame the team for refusing to make the trip. 

Aside from that, the game has yet to be played. Everyone seems to be conceding this game to TWP (myself included) but it hasn't yet been played. Both teams are still 7-0 last I checked. If there's any upside to all of this, it's that Barrow have nothing to lose. Nobody expects them to win anyway so there's no pressure on them. I have a feeling they'll be going up next year irrespective of how this match turns out. 

As a Canadian rugby fan who attended the last Rugby Union World Cup, I know what it's like to fly across the Atlantic only to watch my team lose. And lose. And lose once more. At least you guys don't have it that bad :) 

I hope players and fans alike will make the most of the trip. 

Oh, and I hope the league figures this visa stuff out once and for all cuz it's effing ridiculous. 

 

It could just be a trick to have us underestimate them...don't fall into the trap.

The full Pack must involved in the stalk and finishing tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cresta will have the team focussed on the game and the lads are more than capable of competing with toronto,  fui fui? phooey phooey we dont need a sam burgess meet and greet but a skillful leg tackle will bring him down to earth and we have some good tacklers in our ranks,  we aint 2nd in the league for nothing and although we are missing a few the 13 on the field are very good rugby players and hopefully will match them. looking forward to the game come on barrow

as for visas how many of the toronto team need a visa to play in the uk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scrumhalf said:

cresta will have the team focussed on the game and the lads are more than capable of competing with toronto,  fui fui? phooey phooey we dont need a sam burgess meet and greet but a skillful leg tackle will bring him down to earth and we have some good tacklers in our ranks,  we aint 2nd in the league for nothing and although we are missing a few the 13 on the field are very good rugby players and hopefully will match them. looking forward to the game come on barrow

as for visas how many of the toronto team need a visa to play in the uk

Alpha Pack Leader to All of Wolfpack:

Not taking the poisioned (Visa) bait Scrumhalf...Pack is on full alert...Barrow Raiders in vicinity and have moved into our terrain...Pack prepare for full attack at 4:30 PM (our time).

THE CHASE BEGINS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Alpha Pack Leader to All of Wolfpack:

Not taking the poisioned (Visa) bait Scrumhalf...Pack is on full alert...Barrow Raiders in vicinity and have moved into our terrain...Pack prepare for full attack at 4:30 PM (our time).

THE CHASE BEGINS!

Kayakman, Me thinks you are a cent short of a Canadian Dollar my friend! Hope you enjoy the game.Though not as much as us! COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boat builder said:

Kayakman, Me thinks you are a cent short of a Canadian Dollar my friend! Hope you enjoy the game.Though not as much as us! COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not short on anything Boatbuilder...only cunning like the Wolf!

On another note:  ever build a kayak the old way...no easy task let me tell ya!

All the Best!

einstein.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, boat builder said:

Kayakman, Me thinks you are a cent short of a Canadian Dollar my friend! Hope you enjoy the game.Though not as much as us! COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hes a breath of fresh air on this forum :) enjoy the game Kayakman

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very long time since there has been so much activity on this Forum. Long may it continue. But with good news about our great game.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to this match tonight even though we are not at full strength, I will be cheering them on from home COYR !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know of a radio station that will cover the game. Can't see Radio Sheepdip doing owt.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 10th April 2017

Rugby League World - April 2017