morty

Players Visas for Toronto trip

If any of you Barrovians want to watch the game tonight Premier Sports have got a great offer on if you have Sky. It's £25 for 12 months using code GAA17, cracking deal when it includes the NRL and the RLWC games.

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Not short on anything Boatbuilder...only cunning like the Wolf!

On another note:  ever build a kayak the old way...no easy task let me tell ya!

All the Best!

einstein.jpg

Methinks you have maxed out on the syrup mate. Looking at your hobbies I would strongly advise against taking a camping stove onboard one of your boats . Always remember--- you can't have your kayak and heat it..........

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Methinks you have maxed out on the syrup mate. Looking at your hobbies I would strongly advise against taking a camping stove onboard one of your boats . Always remember--- you can't have your kayak and heat it..........

Love It!

1 hour ago, millomite said:

Let's hope the barrow lads are well rested after a night in top class beds ????

Screenshot_20170520-194518.png

That mattress looks like the Hilton compared to Barlinnie--- what's not to like?

I'm glad I'm watching this on stream tv and not paying for it. So disheartening and to be honest a waste of the players time. There's no positive at all.

Edited by Barty

The ultimate example of the R.F.L. putting our domestic competition to ridicule in pursuit of their crazy expansionist agenda. Throwing our own to the wolves is just too disturbingly true .

• Like 1

I dont think anyone let themselves down tonight, toronto are just class. Would have liked to see us score a couple of tries but it wasnt to be. On to the final next week, lets get back to winning ways with some silverware and then focus on the rest of the season. 

• Like 5

I'm sad ...RL is the loser here makes a mockery of fair sporting contests... hope the RFL are happy now..never mind I'm sure they know what they are doing

Let's assume  the Wolfpack get promoted to the Championship.

Unlike in League 1 it won't be the luck of the draw who travels to Canada as all teams play each other home and away.

At the start of this season, as a reader of the weekly RL papers I thought trips to Toronto were to be fully expensed, information that seems to have been a 'political truth'. 

In the coming close season Championship clubs need to find out what the financial arrangements will be for next year; if they need to fund a trip for 30+ club staff they'd best start saving up now.

And visas, well there's an issue, I think I've seen reports it took from October to May for the Wolfpack to get one antipodean's - so again Championship clubs had best start investigating now.

In the Challenge Cup, will they be in the hat? If so will there be an obligation to play their first game away, but with a possibility for any subsequent games at Lamport and another expensive trip for a club?

The Wolpack are a full time team, many Championship clubs are part time they need to be aware of the additional time off work from regular jobs needed for the away games.

I'm sure that League 1 club officials can add to this list.

It's good to expand the best game in the world but there have been unintended/unexpected/unplanned difficulties - just sad that the experiment and cost had fallen on the shoulders of clubs least able to bear the load.

And in passing, the Raiders too might gain promotion, are they prepared for the above and can they afford it?

+++++++++++

Good to see the Raiders flag on the terraces at Lamport, wonder how many travelling fans the Wolfpack have, and I don't mean from their Yorkshire base?

+++++++++++

• Like 1

15 hours ago, morty said:

I'm sad ...RL is the loser here makes a mockery of fair sporting contests... hope the RFL are happy now..never mind I'm sure they know what they are doing

Now they know how the likes of Hemel, Ironmen , Oxford etc etc have felt in recent times. There was plenty of excuses why Barrow could compete yesterday . Half the team choose to us the excuse for a poor performance and half ignored it . IMHO off course.Thought Stack ,Duerden , Charnock and Walker really got stuck in 

Edited by wonderofwood

Total amateur approach by Barrow RLFC to the visa issue, 7$ for an eTA visa to be completed on line if you don't have a criminal record (or don't declare it), no problem and almost instant acceptance. Otherwise you need a ACPO certificate which takes approximately 40 days form submission to receipt and costs £10. This process could also have been carried out by an agency i.e. The Travel Visa Company. Simples any travel agent could have talked you through the process. Surprised the club waited until the last minute to apply for visas as they had known about the fixture since before the start of the season.

Iv been reading all sorts of threads about visa issues and how Barrow havnt done this or that and they've had since the fixtures came out to sort it etc all these so called experts on visas from clubs around the country seem to know everything but non have mentioned that Moi Moi signed in November and only last week was granted a visa? Does this mean Toronto Wolfpack are run by amateurs for not getting it sorted earlier?

• Like 3

On 2017-5-12 at 1:52 PM, SJD said:

I thought for a second you said Toronto were a Canadian team, perhaps a quick look at the official TWP website might help. 

1 Australian

1 NZ

1 Tongan (with visa problems)

1 USA

2 Canadians

Nearly forgot 20 UK plus 3 more on the coaching staff.

So unless they all have Canadian grandparents it's an English team, there isn't enough local players to make up the water boys.

If anyone no matter where they originate from can choose to play for a team in any country that is they choose, especially when they see a great opportunity for themselves. Since you seem to be English perhaps you can tell me how many foreign players play soccer in your premier league. the answer to that is most of them. Where is your argument just because Toronto have the means and want to start this venture on a level that they can compete? given that Rugby league is a new game for Canadians we need players with experience for the first ten years, where do you think we can find players who can compete at the level required? Yes of course, in the countries that have played the game for over 100 years. We don't need you for ever, when we get the experience in the next ten, we will still be winning, but with Canadians of course.

Just an observation from a Canadian standpoint no personal insult intended, but your attitude does come over a little negative.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 750VFR said:

Let's assume  the Wolfpack get promoted to the Championship.

Unlike in League 1 it won't be the luck of the draw who travels to Canada as all teams play each other home and away.

At the start of this season, as a reader of the weekly RL papers I thought trips to Toronto were to be fully expensed, information that seems to have been a 'political truth'. 

In the coming close season Championship clubs need to find out what the financial arrangements will be for next year; if they need to fund a trip for 30+ club staff they'd best start saving up now.

And visas, well there's an issue, I think I've seen reports it took from October to May for the Wolfpack to get one antipodean's - so again Championship clubs had best start investigating now.

In the Challenge Cup, will they be in the hat? If so will there be an obligation to play their first game away, but with a possibility for any subsequent games at Lamport and another expensive trip for a club?

The Wolpack are a full time team, many Championship clubs are part time they need to be aware of the additional time off work from regular jobs needed for the away games.

I'm sure that League 1 club officials can add to this list.

It's good to expand the best game in the world but there have been unintended/unexpected/unplanned difficulties - just sad that the experiment and cost had fallen on the shoulders of clubs least able to bear the load.

And in passing, the Raiders too might gain promotion, are they prepared for the above and can they afford it?

+++++++++++

Good to see the Raiders flag on the terraces at Lamport, wonder how many travelling fans the Wolfpack have, and I don't mean from their Yorkshire base?

+++++++++++

I will be in Barrow for another flogging. Don't get sore because you lost, I won't cry like a baby with excuses when that happens to the Wolfpack, it's part of the game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raider94 said:

I dont think anyone let themselves down tonight, toronto are just class. Would have liked to see us score a couple of tries but it wasnt to be. On to the final next week, lets get back to winning ways with some silverware and then focus on the rest of the season. 

Your Raider guys were real men. Not easy to come here with odds stacked against you,Toronto are a very good side not your fault. Thanks for coming anyway, Barrow tried very hard with the tools they had so credit to em. That said, as a Canadian I am well pleased with our team following the plan set out to march to the super league. Thanks for the game. Howllllllllllll... !!!! the pack.

Random thoughts 24 hours after the event!

1. Any new club/area to Rugby League that can attract over 7,000 spectators for its second game on a public holiday week-end has to be taken seriously!

That said, I was surrounded by Canadians who have believed the hype that this team are going to be winners! All around me thought that Barrow were a full time team. When I informed them that Jarrad Stack had travelled for 4 hours to the airport plus a 7 hour flight after a 12 hour night shift, they started to realise!

More information needed I think!

There is no doubt about it, the atmosphere in the ground and organisation in the stadium were superb - beer fest tents, several people selling cold cans to those in the crowd, and the shooting of hot dogs into the crowd at half time was a hoot!

However, because of the visa issues(I won't go into that!) and the uneven fixture list, this season is not going to be a level playing field, and it is for this reason that the Wolfpack are not going to be popular in this country.

In hindsight, perhaps they should have been parachuted into the Championship, if all knew they we're going to be a full time outfit? It would not have been popular but it would have given another League 1 side a chance of promotion.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Once in a higher and much more competitive league, will  the Wolfpack command this support if they are not top dog any more?

I could go on with more thoughts but I will leave you all with this! Toronto and Niagara Falls one week-end, Blackpool and the Pleasure Beach next week-end. It could only happen in Rugby League!

John Spoor

• Like 3

Was out kayaking for a few days after the big game and just got back.

Thanks for the game Barrow, you played your best.  Looking forward to the rematch

Your number 17 ran the hardest!

All the best!

"Run with the Pack!"

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 7:57 AM, wonderofwood said:

hes a breath of fresh air on this forum :) enjoy the game Kayakman

Thanks Wonderofwood for the nice post...right after the game went kayaking for a couple of days (cold on the big water!) just to clear the head.  

Wishing all of the Barrow fans who came over all the best! (I watched some of them when they began shooting the hotdogs at the crowd from the hotdog gun at halftime.  They looked shocked and mortified!.  Don't you guys do stuiff like that overthere???

20 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Thanks Wonderofwood for the nice post...right after the game went kayaking for a couple of days (cold on the big water!) just to clear the head.  

Wishing all of the Barrow fans who came over all the best! (I watched some of them when they began shooting the hotdogs at the crowd from the hotdog gun at halftime.  They looked shocked and mortified!.  Don't you guys do stuiff like that overthere???

Have you learnt to shout " get em onside ref " every 2 minutes yet :)

Just now, wonderofwood said:

Have you learnt to shout " get em onside ref " every 2 minutes yet :)

Not yet but we are slowly picking it up over here...time will tell!

The Raiders had trouble getting in to Toronto and the Bears are having trouble getting out. 

The RFL got the dates wrong and booked us back on Monday instead of today. 

We have had to check in again at the Uni.

Make the most of it Ron...checkout the Railway Museum next to the excellent Steam Whistle brewery,the Mill St Brewery over at Distillery and the wonderful Amsterdam Brewhouse down on the waterfront at Queens Quay West.That should be enough to while away the hours...or take a coach trip to Niagara.

Hope all our Visa's issues are now cleared up for our possible return to Toronto or have they (Red Hall) moved the goalposts again?