Sign in to follow this  
Blue Pike

Quarter final draw

I went to the 83 final expecting to get tonked so you never know.But it was different then we were in the same division as Hull F.C and we were used to the pace of the division and knew what to expectNowadays we are obviously not and it showed in the middle 8s when we got destroyed by all the super league teams even when I was confident of picking up a couple of wins after our brilliant win against Bradford.Any way you never know but I am a realist and dont think so.Put it this way Fev will be very popular this afternoon,Every Club in the draw will want us!.Lets be proud that we are the only club outside Super League thats qualified for the quarters.

• Like 2

Watching Widnes match not long to go.Feel excited about the draw,Reminds me of 1975 when I wondered whether I got the chopper I asked my mam for Christmas.Please anything but not Salford.

I got that plus ape hangers and them tassle things you shoved in the handle grips (you young uns its just gone over your heads).

No had a lolly pop stick but near

Looks like Warrington.It was the Brown show .How often does the ex player returns to destroy his ex team.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Pay day

It's unlucky getting them away given Leeds history of announced CC crowds. Would have been a big money spinner at home.

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

It's unlucky getting them away given Leeds history of announced CC crowds. Would have been a big money spinner at home.

If only we had a really close & mutually beneficial relationship with them, eh?

• Like 2

Good draw lets hope we put the money made in the bank to use in the secondary stage when hopefullywe get in  the middle eights and need that extra push with a couple of class players to improve us as a team.

21 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

They've announced over 5,000 today against Barrow, so it should at least be 6K plus against Fev, probably a lot more as interest grows at the Q/F stage. Will get more than they would at Fev which would compensate for the loss of bar and food takings and the home side's cut for staging the game. 40% of 6k at average £15 entry (probably a lot more at Headingley) would equate to £36K at least, which ain't bad.

It is what it is 

No doubt we will be the Thu night game as we are the less glam tie out of them all

Thu night, expected thrashing, game on tv - can anyone see Leeds fans travelling in droves  for that one? I certainly cant 

Not the money spinner people might think it is esp if it is the Thu night game 

Edited by elppaxr2i
  • Like 1

You never know! When we played them at Headingley in the 8's last season, there were over 15000 there. I know it wasn't a split gate, but surely if there were that many against us, there could be something near for you! 

Apart from the monetary side, it was an utterly brilliant experience seeing my team in front of that many, playing out of their skins, under the lights at such an iconic ground!

And as for the result . . . .it is a cup game so you never know.

Enjoy it!! 

Edited by distantdog
  • Like 1

We'll be the centre of attention again for one night, and the only Championship club left in the comp. There will be lots of media attention beforehand, especially with the DR link. If we get absolutely mullered it will be no more than anyone expected, and nearly every neutral fan across the country will watch the game on TV rooting for us. And whilst it won't be a funding bonanza we should make a few quid out of it. Plenty to like in all that.

There's an obvious concern about the impact on our league performance either side, especially with a huge game at London the week after. We play Bradford the week before the Leeds game and I make it that Lilley, Oledzki & co's loan deals with the Bulls run out around then...would be nice to think Leeds would keep them back at Headingley for a while, perhaps with a view to play against us. But we'll see.

Whatever happens we can't do much worse than St Helens or Catalans. Now those two teams should really be embarrassed.

17 hours ago, Jailhouse said:

At this stage in the tournament we should fear noone. we have dangerous players that can hurt teams, good morale, an excellent coach and physio team. Yes we have injuries but good cover for them. 2 wins from Wembley Im no longer thinking about a good payday. we'll get that regardless. Anyway I backed em at 500/1 so stop wishing us a respectable loss. UTR.

In recent years the cup is different. Rovers did phenomenally well to beat a poor poor Cas side in 12. Rovers were outstanding that day 17 heroes. They kept with Wigan for 60 minutes a few weeks later but it was a bridge too far. I remember the most impressive Rovers Challenge cup game for many years was the class of 2010 team taking eventual winners Warrington so close at Halliwell Jones. After an hour Rovers had them on the rack but full time fitness told in the end. That is the difference now and that's why the gulf was seen in middle 8s.

25 minutes ago, distantdog said:

You never know! When we played them at Headingley in the 8's last season, there were over 15000 there. I know it wasn't a split gate, but surely if there were that many against us, there could be something near for you! 

Apart from the monetary side, it was an utterly brilliant experience seeing my team in front of that many, playing out of their skins, under the lights at such an iconic ground!

And as for the result . . . .it is a cup game so you never know.

Enjoy it!! 

Did you play them midweek and on tv?

22 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Did you play them midweek and on tv?

Friday, not on tv either. My point is though that you should look forward to it!

8 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Friday, not on tv either. My point is though that you should look forward to it!

Exactly, what difference does it make when or who we play, let's enjoy it, make a few quid and be proud of being the only Championship team left in the competition!! 

• Like 1