Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyn Sadler

How not to market the Challenge Cup

56 posts in this topic

I agree with most of that but not the point about Newcastle. I think fans do tire of going to the same city, especially when it can cost a small fortune for the weekend - it becomes a very considered purchase.

My view is that fans enjoy variety, particularly when you are talking about a small pot of fans supporting the same events year after year. Lethargy does set in, and so what if you miss Newcastle this year, no big deal? Id rather we have a rotation. Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, London (O.P) - keep things fresh and rather than importing the North into wherever we go the events should have local music and food etc to give each one a unique feel.

The Magic Crowd may be down this year but we are talking modest numbers, maybe 5k, that is a minor fluctuation, but disappointing nonetheless when we should be filling these grounds.

3 people like this

Basically seeing the fixtures in the RLE on Monday was the first bit of concrete knowledge I got on the thing ! 

A fair opinion piece. It would be good if Draper would respond to the "charge" of denigrating the cup final. I'm certain that wasn't his intention, but he's an experienced senior operator and to talk about the final in that way to the press was amateurish.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Basically seeing the fixtures in the RLE on Monday was the first bit of concrete knowledge I got on the thing ! 

really? Do you avoid all RL sites and media?

Were you not aware that Magic was this weekend?

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I agree with most of that but not the point about Newcastle. I think fans do tire of going to the same city, especially when it can cost a small fortune for the weekend - it becomes a very considered purchase.

My view is that fans enjoy variety, particularly when you are talking about a small pot of fans supporting the same events year after year. Lethargy does set in, and so what if you miss Newcastle this year, no big deal? Id rather we have a rotation. Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, London (O.P) - keep things fresh and rather than importing the North into wherever we go the events should have local music and food etc to give each one a unique feel.

The Magic Crowd may be down this year but we are talking modest numbers, maybe 5k, that is a minor fluctuation, but disappointing nonetheless when we should be filling these grounds.

Would certainly improve competitiveness of each City in holding the weekend and one upmanship.  If the occasion gets better and better, fans will pay.

However, personally, I wouldn't consider Edinburgh (as a fan) due to the hike in prices for the 2nd CC final last time out and heavy handedness on the doors.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Would certainly improve competitiveness of each City in holding the weekend and one upmanship.  If the occasion gets better and better, fans will pay.

However, personally, I wouldn't consider Edinburgh (as a fan) due to the hike in prices for the 2nd CC final last time out and heavy handedness on the doors.

I didn't go to the CC Finals there but I did go to the Magic Weekends and I thought the stadium layout was the best of the lot for this, with a huge outside area for the fanzone and space for families to have a picnic etc. It did have the problem of the bars being some way out of the bowl and of course the chillier weather! I remember the first year they had a masters tag tournament or something outside and stopped trying the second year which saw a massive dip as they staged average fixtures and a lacklustre fanzone.

Just now, Dave T said:

I didn't go to the CC Finals there but I did go to the Magic Weekends and I thought the stadium layout was the best of the lot for this, with a huge outside area for the fanzone and space for families to have a picnic etc. It did have the problem of the bars being some way out of the bowl and of course the chillier weather! I remember the first year they had a masters tag tournament or something outside and stopped trying the second year which saw a massive dip as they staged average fixtures and a lacklustre fanzone.

The 1st CC there was a great craic.  No problems in the bars or ground - the papers reiterated that.  The 2nd year, the prices were hiked and all the bars had a handful of doormen who went OTT.  We still enjoyed it but the majority of our party, 40+ said they would never go back for those reasons.  I don't see all of them now, but those I do, still say the same.

The idea of rotation is a valid one.  Named cities, say 4, with a 'floating' place for new areas.  Wouldn't it be great to see cities compete for that business.  Newcastle say it generates 4m for the city.  Ok, not mega bucks but competition would give it more momentum.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The 1st CC there was a great craic.  No problems in the bars or ground - the papers reiterated that.  The 2nd year, the prices were hiked and all the bars had a handful of doormen who went OTT.  We still enjoyed it but the majority of our party, 40+ said they would never go back for those reasons.  I don't see all of them now, but those I do, still say the same.

The idea of rotation is a valid one.  Named cities, say 4, with a 'floating' place for new areas.  Wouldn't it be great to see cities compete for that business.  Newcastle say it generates 4m for the city.  Ok, not mega bucks but competition would give it more momentum.

I think unfortunately we have a relatively small pot of RL fans supporting the same events - maybe a couple of hundred thousand and to get almost a quarter of them going over and over spending their hard earned you need to keep it fresh, and for many i suspect doing exactly the same again each year soon becomes tired. Now obviously there are plenty of creatures of habit, but I think the Cup Final and Grand Final gives that and Magic should be a travelling exhibition of RL and local music and culture in my eyes.

The marketing line for this year is something like 12 teams, 6 matches, 1 event. No effort with a beer festival or music or much notice of the fanzone etc. Just rugby league. That doesnt speak to non rl fans. 

Whats in it for them? Not much tbh.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think unfortunately we have a relatively small pot of RL fans supporting the same events - maybe a couple of hundred thousand and to get almost a quarter of them going over and over spending their hard earned you need to keep it fresh, and for many i suspect doing exactly the same again each year soon becomes tired. Now obviously there are plenty of creatures of habit, but I think the Cup Final and Grand Final gives that and Magic should be a travelling exhibition of RL and local music and culture in my eyes.

The marketing line for this year is something like 12 teams, 6 matches, 1 event. No effort with a beer festival or music or much notice of the fanzone etc. Just rugby league. That doesnt speak to non rl fans. 

Whats in it for them? Not much tbh.

Apart from putting the games on, I'm unsure of what the RFL actually want from it, post Lewis.

If they want numbers, then London.  But that Underground had better be riddled with posters in prominent positions and a decent marketing/advertising team in place - both in ample time.  We tell ourselves, what a great game, but we sell it quietly.  That's got to change.

1 person likes this

this is thread about the challenge cup not magic weekend, just because a few thousand fans have stopped going doesn't make it a failure, we only ever used to get max 80000  we are sometimes down to 65000 now as a low, but sometimes get a lot more.

for draper to denigrate it as he has is a disgrace, the challenge cup is still our jewel in the crown and should be cherished and kept at wembley at all costs.

1 person likes this

Missus I don't know where you've got your infomation from regarding attendences at Challenge cup finals, I know for a fact that many finals had crowds well over 80,000. If you're talking of the modern era well that's another matter, and there are many issues why attendances aren't what they were.

12 minutes ago, my missus said:

this is thread about the challenge cup not magic weekend, just because a few thousand fans have stopped going doesn't make it a failure, we only ever used to get max 80000  we are sometimes down to 65000 now as a low, but sometimes get a lot more.

for draper to denigrate it as he has is a disgrace, the challenge cup is still our jewel in the crown and should be cherished and kept at wembley at all costs.

The article written by Sadler talks about Magic as much as the Cup.

When he sees that fans cant be bothered turning up for the cup games dont you think Draper has a point?

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The article written by Sadler talks about Magic as much as the Cup.

When he sees that fans cant be bothered turning up for the cup games dont you think Draper has a point?

i don't think so, the article is about the challenge cup and draper putting it down, and knottla i was talking about recent times, since the new wembley  the fact it holds around 100,000 and the season ticket seats have impacted on the perception of a poor attendance.

to get 65.000 fans in is still a great achievement.

3 minutes ago, my missus said:

i don't think so, the article is about the challenge cup and draper putting it down, 

Did you only read the first part of the article. More than half of the article is about Magic Weekend.

He has just used the 'lost its shine' line again on the Today Programme, the bloody platform (BBC) that shows the Challenge Cup! Rob Bonnet thought it was his birthday.

Wtf is going on?

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, my missus said:

The only times the Final has got less than 70,000 in this century were when the match was played at Murrayfield or Twickenham. Since returning to Wembley, it has always drawn more than 75,000.

This...

Challenge cup,NRL grand final & a state of origin game either at ANZ or MCG usually rotate as the largest attended RL game that year..

We'd be daft not to be on that list...so not having the challenge cup at Wembley is a non starter for me.....and it's not just about the 2 teams that make the final! At the CC final you will see just about every clubs Jersey represented,that august bank holiday is actually the sports birthday,august 29th 1895..maybe having a shield final will help mop up the "missing" 8-10k empty seats....that's how we should address the issue,not by circling the wagons and moving to a smaller stadium!

The SL grand final is for SL ,the challenge cup final is for all of us!

Edited by roughyedspud
2 people like this

Isn't the challenge cup now a low important event in the greater scheme of things? If it were important, fans would turn up in larger numbers to watch it.

If it were the crown jewel of our sport, it would get crowds deserving of that title.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

He has just used the 'lost its shine' line again on the Today Programme, the bloody platform (BBC) that shows the Challenge Cup! Rob Bonnet thought it was his birthday.

Wtf is going on?

I missed it. Was it on the 8.25am sports slot or one of the earlier ones?

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I missed it. Was it on the 8.25am sports slot or one of the earlier ones?

8.25am Martyn.

If Theresa May has "strong and stable" as her catchphrase, the RFL seems to have adopted "Lost its shine" as its.

And I love the way Rob Bonet described this weekend as the "so called" Magic Weekend.

How to put down an event in one easy lesson!

He was then only too keen to ask Roger about Maria Sharapova - something that of course is really important.

Cup competitions in general have lost their appeal in this country as the Super League and Premier League have become the be all and end all. The days of the Challenge Cup and FA Cup Finals being huge occasions have gone and I don't think that they are ever going to come back.  It's just the way things have gone and I don't think any amount of marketing is going to change that.

2 people like this