Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
superten

wales

15 posts in this topic

With both Crusaders and Ironmen struggling at the wrong end of league one . The question is how can we improve things in Wales ? I had high hopes for Ironmen this season but seems little , improvement . How can RL as a sport help these clubs and this proud nation improve . I remember to 90s two world cup semis European champs against England and France .   Can Wales ever get back to those days ? So how can we raise the profile of the sport here's a few possibilities 1. Take the magic weekend back to Wales and have the Welsh derby included. 2 Maybe take the championship summer bash to Wales and have the second Welsh derby played then . 3 Maybe a Welsh Cup the two welsh teams plus six super league u23 teams all games played in Wales . 4 Wales need international football even if its Wales v Championship select X111 .Also have Crusaders v Wales and Ironmen v Wales .  Send some coaches and ex players to Wales to help improve skills . Is there any supporters group to join ? There's a great buzz around Toronto at the moment and rightly so but can the two Welsh clubs ever get that buzz back ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, superten said:

With both Crusaders and Ironmen struggling at the wrong end of league one . The question is how can we improve things in Wales ? I had high hopes for Ironmen this season but seems little , improvement . How can RL as a sport help these clubs and this proud nation improve . I remember to 90s two world cup semis European champs against England and France .   Can Wales ever get back to those days ? So how can we raise the profile of the sport here's a few possibilities 1. Take the magic weekend back to Wales and have the Welsh derby included. 2 Maybe take the championship summer bash to Wales and have the second Welsh derby played then . 3 Maybe a Welsh Cup the two welsh teams plus six super league u23 teams all games played in Wales . 4 Wales need international football even if its Wales v Championship select X111 .Also have Crusaders v Wales and Ironmen v Wales .  Send some coaches and ex players to Wales to help improve skills . Is there any supporters group to join ? There's a great buzz around Toronto at the moment and rightly so but can the two Welsh clubs ever get that buzz back ?

The game there would likely get some kind of boost if they somehow advanced in the World Cup, but playing in the same group as PNG who have all three of their matches in Port Moresby that seems unlikely given that only one team from that group will advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard from a number of well informed people that the South Wales Ironmen are in serious financial trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at 2021 world cup proposed short list of 15 stadiums to be used for next world cup. Will be reduced to 12 from that short list millennium stadium in Wales is not on the list ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of short term playing ability, SL clubs signing a couple of good Welsh RU internationals could be a step forward. So too would encouraging SL clubs to scout Wales for their academies (a la Grace at Saints), be it through some kind of financial motivation I'm not sure. John Kear and Wales RL could run a talent ID programme for example to co-operate and co-ordinate such signings. The above could also be said for Ireland and Scotland, even France and the rest of Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

I've heard from a number of well informed people that the South Wales Ironmen are in serious financial trouble. 

Really? I thought the Welsh RL had got them on an even keel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember in 2000 Wales went into the RLWC semi ahead of Australia at half time. They ended up getting done 46-22, but if a few things went different I wondered what would have happened. Sullivan dropped an intercept that would have put him under the posts (probably) down the other end of the park, and Robbie Kearns knocked on from a kick off that was called backwards, then the momentum shifted.

Would love to see Wales back to been good again.

Edited by B rad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

I've heard from a number of well informed people that the South Wales Ironmen are in serious financial trouble. 

When were they ever not in financial trouble, and which championship 1 clubs are not? I watched all the games in the first season at Neath and the club have done brilliantly to survive this long. North Wales would not survive without the volunteers from their loyal and passionate supporters.

56 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Really? I thought the Welsh RL had got them on an even keel 

The Welsh RL haven't got any money to spare!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could play them regularly at international level to raise the profile of the game, they could keep the profits too...

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, superten said:

Just looked at 2021 world cup proposed short list of 15 stadiums to be used for next world cup. Will be reduced to 12 from that short list millennium stadium in Wales is not on the list ?

That's because the World Cup is in England only. The money received from the Government was based on a sole England bid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always said that the game in Wales is crying out for a "Wales RL" celebration day. Have Wales youth play first, followed by a Welsh League 1 derby and then a full international - maybe Wales v France? They have no competition from RU during the summer months - should be making the most of it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame RL can't take off in South Wales, it would be great if a team could start in Swansea or Cardiff. Unfortunately, it would be like trying to start a professional Union team in Wigan. The minds are too closed to the other code. 

Interestingly, both Swansea and Cardiff applied for a Super League license at the same time as Gateshead.

That said, the final 20 extra minutes of resetting a scrum in the 6 nations game between France and Wales this year, is precisely the reason why they should be looking at Rugby League.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the Ironmen are deep in the brown stuff and may not fulfil their 2017 fixtures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 1:53 AM, ojx said:

It's a shame RL can't take off in South Wales, it would be great if a team could start in Swansea or Cardiff. Unfortunately, it would be like trying to start a professional Union team in Wigan. The minds are too closed to the other code. 

Interestingly, both Swansea and Cardiff applied for a Super League license at the same time as Gateshead.

That said, the final 20 extra minutes of resetting a scrum in the 6 nations game between France and Wales this year, is precisely the reason why they should be looking at Rugby League.

Agree with this, It is very hard to get a RL pro team to survive at pro level in a RU dominated area. TBH its hard for the Welsh RU Regional Franchises to survive, - they are all partially funded by the Welsh RFU, who rely on International Matches for the real big Revenue. 

Wales RL was strong in the 1980s, 1990s, as economic reasons led to more and more really good RU players going to league. Jonathan Davies, Gibbs, Quinell, etc etc . Once Union went Pro, this source of players dried up. Even if some decent Union lads wanted to switch to league, the finances may not allow for this.....£100k pa for a decent squad player in RU in France or the Uk is not unheard of at all (a first 15 player would be on more)

Prephaps best way forward is for strong youth development and amateur teams, playing in regional leagues, with good pathways to pro teams up north as a development structure. 

The National team can be strong without having a Pro team in Wales...it just needs 50 Welsh qualified players playing SL, and Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try a new approach for North Wales and South Wales clubs. I  would have them all Welsh players with maybe 4 overseas players. My big idea is not to have them in our league structure , but instead have them play host to all  12 super league clubs and championship clubs. Also play each other three time with both having one home game . The third fixture could be played at magic week end as the Welsh cup . So each team would play 25 home games with little travelling. The Welsh league would be between the two with who could win the most matches against the 24 super league and championship clubs. Would monitor this for two season to see if any improvement with the two clubs and the Welsh national team. Would also have both teams in the challenge cup. If the points against the two Welsh teams counted in the super league and championship clubs I'm sure clubs would take it serious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 10th April 2017

Rugby League World - April 2017