Sign in to follow this  
leagueman123

Future RFL CEO?

leagueman123    85

Maybe this would be a good time for the RFL to get Ian Richie, an experienced business negotiator, to replace Nigel Wood.

Granted Richie has most recently a background in RU, prior to this he was chief exective of the All England Lawn & Croquet Club and director of the Football League.

He would open the door to large city companys which RFL often fail to attract. Even as a board member this type of person would be immensely helpful...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39968070

Kris    304

This is an interesting idea - never forget how the RFU have as a body used RL figures to forward their game on and off the pitch - because of our professionalism

What they have we lack and that is penetration into the right industry sectors and the networks that brings which creates opportunities to correctly fund long term expansion

I genuinely think, prejudice aside, an appointment of this type would not harm

It always astounds me we have owners who have city profiles and big ones at that, and we don't use any of that business expertise and network the way the RFU and their teams clearly do

Which suggests to me the people moaning the most who own and run clubs are actually incapable of selling it!

Nigel Wood meets a bloke on a plain and saves Salford

Nigel Wood and the RFL can see what a cock up the Buls had become, bought the ground lease and effectively took it out of the hands of the receiver and whether we like it or not saved the real estate for RL because otherwise its sold off and gone forever

He is a proponent of Lions tours - and has had that on the agenda for years - now we have them back

I am not a fan, but he has a record

What about the likes of Lenaghan at Wigan and all the rest - surely they know enough people to generate some corporate interest - never understood why they haven't done this, its been a RFU old boys strategy for ever and it creates a cycle - buy in, develop, make money making opportunities away from the pitch, buy in etc etc repeat

Cost of ,membership is the contribution to the sport, which is secondary to the business opportunities in new markets that represents - and don't forget the networking opportunities

I know of a lawyer in Bristol who regularly attends Toulouse RU games free of charge as he deals with contracts that were spawned from RU contacts - some of the corporate spends on those matches are eye watering - no one watches the matches and I know more about rucks than he does - absolute bonkers but there is a kick back into that sport that is undeniable - and people grow careers from attending these things

Obvious really

To be fair I would either import an Aussie, and there are several that would work well and understand RL and the global business community, or consider Eric Perez at some point as I really think he will succeed with creating a stable RL landscape in the US which could dwarf what we have - might as well make the RFL a global brand - would be about time!

The issue with Big Nige is that he has pulled the rabbit out of the hat on a number of occasions and continues to do so - my only question would be if someone else had that job what would they do better and what would that look like - and I don't know enough about him or the RFL machine to state one way or the other - we are enthral to the NRL internationally and as a UK sport we continue to survive irrespective of the negative media profile and the lack of investment - so he is succeeding in a depressed market - fascinates me and I would love to work in that environment simply to see how the politics plays out

• Like 2

Gates1    686
9 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Is Nigel Wood ready to be replaced yet?? Who knows.

He'll take some shifting if not.

• Like 1

bazzzz65    45

Ritchie is on £700 000 at the RFU. How much do the RFL pay Nigel Wood? 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:50 PM, fairfolly said:

Is Nigel Wood ready to be replaced yet?? Who knows.

Big Nige is going nowhere, and the RFL are not looking for anyone to replace him in the foreseeable future.