Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilly19

Can you be too tall to play half back?

18 posts in this topic

I feel like I've got the skillet (passing, kicking, running etc) and enjoy playing there but most halves seem to be smaller players, I'm a bit taller. Will this make any difference to my game or selection moving forward? Loose forwards are like props now so that's isn't really an option.

thanks.

Most halves tend to be smaller players because them being smaller throughout development necessitates the improvement of kicking and passing and communication skills more than someone bigger. If you're happy with your skills in those areas and your coaches are, then your height doesn't make a difference - there aren't really any obvious areas where it would impact your ability to play as a half. 

34 minutes ago, Gilly19 said:

I feel like I've got the skillet (passing, kicking, running etc) and enjoy playing there but most halves seem to be smaller players, I'm a bit taller. Will this make any difference to my game or selection moving forward? Loose forwards are like props now so that's isn't really an option.

thanks.

Joseph Paulo is 1m88 106kg and played five-eighth. Leon Pryce is 1m91 101kg and was a stand off. Johnathon Ford is 1m94.

You'll be fine.

Edited by Hvy wg

Not at all, nothing states you have to be smaller, in general, smaller players are more agile, which can be a bonus when playing against the forwards of the opposition. I remember sitting in a coaching seminar with Andrew Johns last year I think, and he said he relished playing against the bigger forwards, as getting past them was like shelling peas. Just for the record though. Loose Forwards these days are often used as a utility half. Fullbacks too are like an extra half back. Loose forwards are not just tackling machines like yesteryear. 

If you enjoy it in the halves and have the skillset, give it a shot mate. 

I'm 6'3 - played most of my younger years at 6 but then when I got to late teens was shifted to LF and then before I stopped playing got moved to 9. I don't know if it was due to my height but I definitely became a better player once I moved to Loose Forward. At the end of the day, if you're good enough to play the role it doesn't matter.

Although not tall Jon Wilkin is around 6ft, so not small.  You could model your style as a half around him.

15 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Although not tall Jon Wilkin is around 6ft, so not small.  You could model your style as a half around him.

You sure about that? He's better as a pundit! 🤓

2 people like this

Paul Brearley who plays for Mayfield must be 6ft 4/6ft 5 at least! Don;t hinder him although think he has moved to 13 now

5 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Joseph Paulo is 1m88 106kg and played five-eighth. Leon Pryce is 1m91 101kg and was a stand off. Johnathon Ford is 1m94.

You'll be fine.

Bradford Bulls even played Karl Pryce at stand-off once or twice, didn't they? Probably not their first/second/third choice for the role, but needs must. Six foot seven, I think.

Thanks all, I'm 5'11 so still a lot shorter than some of the names mentioned here so hopefully I'll be alright.

32 minutes ago, Gilly19 said:

Thanks all, I'm 5'11 so still a lot shorter than some of the names mentioned here so hopefully I'll be alright.

Look Jon if that is you, this forum isn't the place to seek reassurance prior to the arrival of the new coach.  Your not good at passing, kicking or running as you claim and only Cunningham would play you in the halves and he has gone.  Get over it lad ;)

20170519_175508.png

Edited by Gates1
2 people like this

Please don't model your style on Wilkin and you've got a decent start ....  It's not the size but the skills , and the brain 

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, Gilly19 said:

My 15 year old son has played stand off all his life and loves it. He's 5'11" too. 

Stefan Ratchford is 6'1'' (186cm) and he's quite handy.

Edited by Leeds Wire

youll do ok but dont think you will be better than us short *rse halfbacks:tongue:

Waiting for a club to say F@#$ it, and put David Taylor in at 5/8 where his mind wants him to play but his body wont let him.

Edited by B rad

Wigan played 6:2 Joel Tomkins at SO last weekend a position he played at school level.