superten    43

Every one knows there's to many teams in the heartlands which you could say is possibly stopping the spread of our great game . So if we were to reduce the numbers which clubs would you lose or merge to create bigger stronger teams . I'd be interested to see what people come up with and why .   

Ash Hope    57

Only Catlans suggest mergers can actually work. Hemel/Skolars or Oxford/Gloucestershire might work. But nobody REALLY needs do. It's a very desperate measure. Obviously it's been mooted befoe in Cumbria.

Manx RL    169

Castleford, Wakefield and Featherstone. Might get one decent stadium between them with Cas providing the players.

• Like 1

yipyee    376

No one needs to merge.

Clubs have invested in stadia and youth.

Clubs are stable FT clubs which make a profit or have someone underwriting.

New teams are rising to the top which will reduce English clubs presence in the top league.

This will help with new talent not being spread too thin from the heartlands! 

The only possible team that might benefit/need a merger is Wakefield as they have nowhere to play , and no real youth development. Ironically Fev are in a far better position as they haven't been forced to spend huge amounts on a playing rosta and ineffective academy!

Manx RL    169
21 minutes ago, yipyee said:

No one needs to merge.

New teams are rising to the top which will reduce English clubs presence in the top league.

The only possible team that might benefit/need a merger is Wakefield as they have nowhere to play , and no real youth development. Ironically Fev are in a far better position as they haven't been forced to spend huge amounts on a playing rosta and ineffective academy!

If 'clubs have invested in stadia and youth development ' why would Wakefield have nowhere to play, and no real youth development?

Ash Hope    57
16 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

If 'clubs have invested in stadia and youth development ' why would Wakefield have nowhere to play, and no real youth development?

I don't think we can accuse Wakefield of having no youth development given they've brought through Johnstone, Jowitt and Batchelor in recent times

Scubby    5,051

I don't think mergers will work in UK RL. Fans are ready to march in protest if the pies go up 10p. When the Calder thing blew up in 1995 I've never seen a reaction like it. Very few could stomach the thought.

Sharing municipal stadiums however, is a different story and could easily work between neighbouring clubs. 

• Like 1

headtackle    13

If you are suggesting merging existing clubs am not sure any would work and why should they merge. Would Saints want to merge with Widnes or Wigan with Leigh ? Always one dominant partner in a merger and would just reduce supporter base

Cumbria possibly after the many years they have had in the wilderness. Am sure as long as the existing clubs retained their identities in the lower leagues a SL club would be supported. Could rotate around the Barrow/Whitehaven and Workington grounds  

Looking at it a different way if you were starting superleague from scratch who would you want in it from existing clubs and/or new franchises ?

34 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

You really need to pull your head from up your ######. (OK try bum)

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Defender1    65

No professional club really invests in youth as the work is done by the amateur clubs, players are then chosen to go to an academy and then are paid, most of the coaches are usually amateur coaches at this level who progress to work alongside senior coaches that is why investment should be done at amateur level 

• Like 3

Wellsy4HullFC    1,589

Merge Wigan, Widnes, Warrington, Saints, Salford, Leigh, Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale into Lancashire.

Merge Hull FC, Hull KR, Castleford, Featherstone, Wakefield, York, Doncaster, Sheffield, Leeds, Hunslet, Bradford, Keighley, Huddersfield, Batley, Dewsbury and Halifax into Yorkshire.

Put them both in the NRL.

Dump the rest, no one cares.

• Like 1

Marauder    256
6 minutes ago, superten said:

Or should we give up on expansion and try and create 16 strong heartland teams ?

So what your really saying is reduce the teams in the heartlands to release funding to give to expansion areas, the same areas who don't have the quality players to compete so they'll travel to the heartlands to pick up players, the expansion clubs will probably train in the heartlands so what's the point of merging heartland teams.

Defender1    65

From another forum

I did not not even mention the dreaded season quote all I did was reply to the " would be to make clubs compete with union"

The frustration to me is, we have tried to expand the game out of the heartlands for years, as I have said before this is no disrespect to the hard working volunteers who struggle to keep their club afloat and players on the pitch

• My club played at Wath Brow on Saturday £1100 for a coach, and we take subs off the players
  • So called semi pro clubs who are not much better than the top amateur clubs get a travel grant, and can claim expenses ie meals, their players get a payment (I know not a lot) 
  • Semi pro clubs get Central Funds, most amateur clubs hope their supporters have deep pockets, could the clubs SP Clubs survive without the funding? Amateur clubs do and they get nothing
  • There were more fans attending at Wath Brow than at Oxford, Hemel, All Golds and its a village
  • Wath have a thriving junior section
  • Even the CLS clubs were funded to a degree

People always mention the sports that are down with participation and there are some but there are also a lot who have stood still and lets ask, Boxing, Rugby Union, Athletics, Triathlon, Netball what they are doing right (Please see sports England) as they have shown an increase, and two of those are contact sports as can be Netball so that old chestnut cannot be used.

The RFL keep saying they want to increase standards, what did David Gent quote "The strong will survive" unfortunately he meant the amateur clubs, and still thought he would be in a job but with the players playing the game 3 professional leagues is too much I would go to 2, supported by the NCL, a lot of players would then end up back at their amateur clubs, hopefully enabling them to put out 2 teams again, if teams are serious ex CLS or league 1 they could apply for the NCL, even have a play off for promotion and relegation to get into the NCL from the regions, even introduce a reserve league something everyone is calling for, would funding be better spent here than out of the heartlands that realistically bring little to the game, do some of the Championship dual register players to League 1 clubs to give their players games so as to not run a reserve team, it is also a way clubs are getting around the salary cap, Hull admitted they could not bring Hadley, Rawsthorne, Naughton back to the club when they had injuries as these players were out on a season long loan so as to keep under the salary cap

A minority sport like ice hockey has tried to expand in the past but now seems to invest in its core and survives with its core fans

Section A3 - Finance final pdf (1).pdf

• Like 2

Marauder    256
11 minutes ago, superten said:

Or should we give up on expansion and try and create 16 strong heartland teams ?

We should create as many teams as possible by investing in amateur development

Niels    232
5 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

From another forum

I did not not even mention the dreaded season quote all I did was reply to the " would be to make clubs compete with union"

The frustration to me is, we have tried to expand the game out of the heartlands for years, as I have said before this is no disrespect to the hard working volunteers who struggle to keep their club afloat and players on the pitch

• My club played at Wath Brow on Saturday £1100 for a coach, and we take subs off the players
  • So called semi pro clubs who are not much better than the top amateur clubs get a travel grant, and can claim expenses ie meals, their players get a payment (I know not a lot) 
  • Semi pro clubs get Central Funds, most amateur clubs hope their supporters have deep pockets, could the clubs SP Clubs survive without the funding? Amateur clubs do and they get nothing
  • There were more fans attending at Wath Brow than at Oxford, Hemel, All Golds and its a village
  • Wath have a thriving junior section
  • Even the CLS clubs were funded to a degree

People always mention the sports that are down with participation and there are some but there are also a lot who have stood still and lets ask, Boxing, Rugby Union, Athletics, Triathlon, Netball what they are doing right (Please see sports England) as they have shown an increase, and two of those are contact sports as can be Netball so that old chestnut cannot be used.

The RFL keep saying they want to increase standards, what did David Gent quote "The strong will survive" unfortunately he meant the amateur clubs, and still thought he would be in a job but with the players playing the game 3 professional leagues is too much I would go to 2, supported by the NCL, a lot of players would then end up back at their amateur clubs, hopefully enabling them to put out 2 teams again, if teams are serious ex CLS or league 1 they could apply for the NCL, even have a play off for promotion and relegation to get into the NCL from the regions, even introduce a reserve league something everyone is calling for, would funding be better spent here than out of the heartlands that realistically bring little to the game, do some of the Championship dual register players to League 1 clubs to give their players games so as to not run a reserve team, it is also a way clubs are getting around the salary cap, Hull admitted they could not bring Hadley, Rawsthorne, Naughton back to the club when they had injuries as these players were out on a season long loan so as to keep under the salary cap

A minority sport like ice hockey has tried to expand in the past but now seems to invest in its core and survives with its core fans

Section A3 - Finance final pdf (1).pdf

I think this is a very well written and though out post. I wish everyone would read it with an open mind. 

Gates1    696
2 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Castleford, Wakefield and Featherstone. Might get one decent stadium between them with Cas providing the players.

How would they get this stadium then?  Why would a merger help?

Gates1    696
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Merge Wigan, Widnes, Warrington, Saints, Salford, Leigh, Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale into Lancashire.

Merge Hull FC, Hull KR, Castleford, Featherstone, Wakefield, York, Doncaster, Sheffield, Leeds, Hunslet, Bradford, Keighley, Huddersfield, Batley, Dewsbury and Halifax into Yorkshire.

Put them both in the NRL.

Dump the rest, no one cares.

Bit harsh on Catalan!

Wellsy4HullFC    1,589
9 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Bit harsh on Catalan!

I can't turn off at Perpignan on the M62. It's gonna cost me a fortune to watch them there in 10 days time. 

Rioman    28
10 hours ago, yipyee said:

No one needs to merge.

I suggest you look a little more closely.

Edited by Rioman

Davc1h    67
11 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Huddersfield for the(soccer) ground, any amateur team for a crowd.

Kris    304

No mergers are required

investment in school rugby and above to open age at amateur level - grassroots cash and development officers to drive it - the RFU copied the RFL model of the 80's and voila! went on from there poured cash in and watched it grow

School budgets being what they are any spare cash or bodies to teach or train sports are welcome - easy opportunity for both clubs and the RFL to get involved but it does require both commitment in time and cash

If its a problem (which I don't think it is) having teams so close together then move the franchise, but I don't think closeness of teams is an issue

• Like 1

Lowdesert    733
8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I can't turn off at Perpignan on the M62. It's gonna cost me a fortune to watch them there in 10 days time. 

Why not fly to Girona, train to and stay in Figueras, train to Perpignan, train to Figueras, train to Girona next day.  Some cheap hotels in Figueras, bars and see a bit of culture.