Sheffield Eagles can be superpowers with their new stadium

Big step forward for the eagles and I hope they can move in next season. The stadium gives them an opportunity to have their own club shop, create revenues and the sports science culture in the OLP will allow them to be on par with any SL team I can see them competing top 4 next year. 

3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Big step forward for the eagles and I hope they can move in next season. The stadium gives them an opportunity to have their own club shop, create revenues and the sports science culture in the OLP will allow them to be on par with any SL team I can see them competing top 4 next year. 

They have done amazingly well this year with all the disruption. However, I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. Sheffield need to stay part-time that is for sure. They need to build some foundations for a couple of seasons. The people involved there deserve some success.

I don't think their new stadium would even meet minimum SL standards would it!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Let's not sprint before we can walk. Fantastic news if they can get in there next season and finally have a permanent home, but they have a huge amount of work to do before they are 'on par with any SL team'.

Quite. Find stability in their new home, then try to grow from there. Until they have done that, don't start wild dreams of glory.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know it's easier said than done and as usual it comes down to money but the Sheffield Eagles really need to lay some foundations within the city and surrounding areas of Sheffield by way of amateur and junior clubs. To the best of my knowledge there's only one amateur team in Sheffield, the hillsborough Hawks. 

It isn t that long since Sheffield were at Wembley , there support on the day was poor , they have never been well supported , Sheffield is and always has been a Soccer City , i hope to be proved wrong , but i won t hold my breath .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

It isn t that long since Sheffield were at Wembley , there support on the day was poor , they have never been well supported , Sheffield is and always has been a Soccer City , i hope to be proved wrong , but i won t hold my breath .

Wow, the RL family in all its glory. Let's rally round in times of need.

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Liverpool with two football clubs was the same.Liverpool City,Liverpool Stanley.and Huyton non of them could generate worthwhile  support .pity really for such a large sporting community.

Whilst Sheffield dont attract many fans they have always batted well above their weight in corporate sponsorship and support. Sheffield is a very large city with a lot of big industrial and commercial concerns. For years at Don Valley they filled their matchday restaurant with 60 to 65 guests at £100 plus vat per head for National League 2 Rugby. Imagine the scope for Super League with that fact and a new stadium where there is no middle man taking his slice from the prawn sandwich prices....

31 minutes ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Whilst Sheffield dont attract many fans they have always batted well above their weight in corporate sponsorship and support. Sheffield is a very large city with a lot of big industrial and commercial concerns. For years at Don Valley they filled their matchday restaurant with 60 to 65 guests at £100 plus vat per head for National League 2 Rugby. Imagine the scope for Super League with that fact and a new stadium where there is no middle man taking his slice from the prawn sandwich prices....

Shame on you. It is only hardcore fans coming through the turnstiles that can fund a RL club. If you 'aint got them (and suitable discount codes) you 'aint turning over any money! Sponsors and corporate revenue is for hipsters and southerners.

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

I'm a Wednesday fan, but there's plenty of room for another sports team. The Steelers have shown it's possible to get decent support in a sport with less visibility than rugby league. I've no idea how many they took. Wembley, but I don't think anyone would reasonably expect tens of thousands at that stage. Teams need time in the area and some engagement with the local community to build it, but it's wrong to suggest it can't be done because it's a football city. People will follow multiple teams and you only need a small percentage of people for a viable club.

Plus as has been already said they have much better potential for sponsorship and hospitality revenue.

i don t doubt with their own stadium they can progress and maybe improve attendances , but the heading of this thread is "Sheffield could become superpowers with their own stadium " which unless they can find a Koukash will never happen .Even he isn t happy with Salfords attendances and might start to look elsewhere .

9 hours ago, ivans82 said:

i don t doubt with their own stadium they can progress and maybe improve attendances , but the heading of this thread is "Sheffield could become superpowers with their own stadium " which unless they can find a Koukash will never happen .Even he isn t happy with Salfords attendances and might start to look elsewhere .

Ultimately what Sheffield, Salford and all other clubs which underperform in terms of attendances need is for the game's profile in the UK to rise considerably so that RL won't be seen as a small-time, low-profile regional sport any more.  At that point, sports fans from other demographics can consider it acceptable to like RL, whereas now many likely would feel embarrassed to be known as RL fans in their social circle.

In that context the success of the Toronto venture is probably the most important thing to the future of British RL at this time, because it has the potential to break down those stereotypes.

I have been waiting 50 years+ for the profile of our game to be raised, but the RFL up to now can t find the answer .Back in the 60 s/70 s Rugby Union clubs were very poorly supported , but now with Professionalism they are flourishing , they have found the answer the RFL haven t .

having a permanent home is a must for any club, only then can you start building solid foundations,

there is room for league in Sheffield as a summer sport and as someone said earlier the ice hockey club is well established, there is no reason why the eagles cant do the same,

I think they took 7,500 to Wembley for the cup final,

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

I have been waiting 50 years+ for the profile of our game to be raised, but the RFL up to now can t find the answer .Back in the 60 s/70 s Rugby Union clubs were very poorly supported , but now with Professionalism they are flourishing , they have found the answer the RFL haven t .

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Have you seen the debt levels of most of those union clubs in the Aviva? Only the good grace of sugar daddies keeps most alive. Union definately does not have all the answers 

Archived