Sign in to follow this  
The Phantom Horseman

Andy Kain

It's been reported today that Andy Kain has retired. Obviously it's a few years since he was at his peak and his body has taken a battering over the years but for two or three seasons he was outstanding for us, including a superb game in our Grand Final win in 2011. Happy retirement, Andy.

He was brilliant for us and scored 128 tries, the 4th highest of all time. His acceleration over 10 metres was unbelievable. I always thought that if there had been a 10m sprint in the Olympics Andy would have won gold every time! In a way I am glad if he is retiring because last Saturday he looked such a pale version of the Andy we all loved. Good luck to the Cheeky Chappie who brightened our Sundays for 8 seasons.

• Like 1

Geezer...... proper geezer.

He's only had one leg for 5 years.... hard as nails and a reight character. Had his limitations but played right to the very limit of his skills. 

Of the summer era he's up there.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, fevnut said:

PS Where is this report - I can't find it.

this is where i saw it, but Peter Smith (as you'd expect with one of that name!) is very reliable

Peter Smith @PeterSmithYEP 6h6 hours ago

Coach Neil Kelly says Dewsbury Rams' former Castleford, Featherstone + Hunslet half-back Andy Kain has retired due to work commitments.

It's a pity, I always thought that Andy would re-invent himself as a scrum half game manager type in his latter years.

Leon Pryce announced his retirement too today 

great player and I am very suprised he wasnt snapped up by a SL club for an interchange hooker every bit as good as Burrows in that position.. Good luck 

Have a well earned retirement Andy,always gave your best and often played when other players would have cried off injured.One of the few championship players who had the pace to get through half a gap.You owe us nowt good luck for the future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Have a well earned retirement Andy,always gave your best and often played when other players would have cried off injured.One of the few championship players who had the pace to get through half a gap.You owe us nowt good luck for the future.

Hopefully his guts in playing when he probably shouldn't won't affect him in the future - at times last Saturday he looked to be struggling walking, never mind running. Hardly ever let us down and never took a backward step. As Robin says, one of our best in the summer era.

A hard little lump. Played his heart out for the Rovers. I suspect that he was probably harshly treated at times, playing game after game when carrying obvious injuries. All the best owd lad.

If I may say a few words about Andy Kain. As a kid he was exceptional at RU RL and soccer. He played I believe for the Leeds Rhinos academy as a kid but things didn't workout Andy more than anybody knows why that was. As a Featherstone Rovers player he was exceptional, signed on loan from Widnes half way through 2007 he was the impetus that was needed to help Featherstone gain promotion that season. Andy's form took a dip in 2008 so much so that on a warm Sunday afternoon Andy, was walking with then wife and baby outside Halton Stadium when PJT and myself caught up with him. He told us that he'd played his last game for Rovers (The then Rovers coach Jon Sharp had been trying Thackeray in Andy's position, talk about life coming full circle) and would be leaving.

I and I'm sure many others are so glad that this didn't happen and Andy gave some of the finest service of anyone who has worn those famous colours for the following 6 years. I have seen most of the Featherstone players since 1974 and though it wasn't in the top division Andy Kain is for me one of the best players of the championship in the summer era.

An absolute nutter of a bloke off the field often in a nice way, sometimes he'd maybe let himself down. He always had time to speak though and he was great with the kids that came to the game and moreover he gave his best every time he stepped onto that field.

Highlights for me were Andy's break down the right flank to set Tim Spears up for the opening try in the grand final.

A fabulous 50 yard try v champions elect Salford in 2008 at POR.

Going around his cousin Stuart at Full back and waving to him as he did this.

Maybe not a highlight to be proud of but he once laid Stuart Donlan out, I have never seen someone throw 5 punches in such rapid succession.

Lastly his tackling. His tackling was classic around the leg tackling, he brought many a full flowing forward down with his perfect technique.

There was occasions when he was off colour like every player and he'd throw the odd pass that was intercepted, but for me he gave fantastic service and entertainment over the years I would like to thank him for that.

All the best Kainy, keep out of trouble mate.

Edited by Andrew Vause
Punctuation
  • Like 6