Super League One and Two back on the agenda

SL One and Two is apparently one of the structures being considered with P and R between One and Two and the Championship below it with licensing for SL. League 1 replaced with development league.

With the likes of Toronto and Toulouse I think this would probably be the best idea with new clubs starting in SL2. 

Teams like Manchester Rangers and Avignon would start in L1 and be promoted to champ and apply for SL 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NickG14 said:

SL One and Two is apparently one of the structures being considered with P and R between One and Two and the Championship below it with licensing for SL. League 1 replaced with development league.

With the likes of Toronto and Toulouse I think this would probably be the best idea with new clubs starting in SL2. 

Teams like Manchester Rangers and Avignon would start in L1 and be promoted to champ and apply for SL 2

This does show the politics.  If Nigel Wood wants to make things work, secure his job and get votes through, it is more important to get the mass of clubs buying in than the top clubs.

I think it at best a silly idea.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the point? Super League 2 is just the Championship with another name.

If SL2 gets weekly TV coverage, that's a different matter entirely.

Assuming that the OP is basing his post on reliable sources.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why would it get TV coverage any more than the Championship?

I'm not saying it would, and I'm not saying it wouldn't. But if that was on the table, it might be a deal-maker for those that make the decisions.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sorry not complete but just floating some ideas .Eventually I'd like to see a conference system East (Hull KR, Hull FC, Leeds, Cas, Wakefield, Huddersfield,  Doncaster, York, ) West- (Salford, Warrington, Widnes, Wigan, St Helens, Leigh, North Wales + 1) South (Broncos, Skolars, Hemel, South Wales + French, Wolfpack + 1), Central (Coventry, Sheffield, etc), North (incorporate Cumbria, Scotland).

Each conference would have 8 clubs (home & away, derbies), top 3 from each conference go into a play off with each other advancing to Super League title at Old Trafford

Each conference would have local leagues (conferences) under them for relegation/promotion to the Super League conferences. A playoff system exists for this promo/relegation.

More concise quality games would open up a Euro type club comp similar to soccer (top clubs playing top clubs in various Euro comps, bottom clubs v bottom clubs in Euro leagues)

Increase prestige of Challenge Cup not drowned out by a long club season

Anyway, just some thoughts..

I quite like the idea of a SL 1 and 2 as long as it is a SL 1 and 2.  They need to have the same salary cap, similar (though not necessarily the same) funding, similar TV opportunities and licencing to get into it.  Anything else and it is just a rebranded championship.

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the point? Super League 2 is just the Championship with another name.

Im not sure if you are intentionally missing the point.

The change is that the top 2 divisions would be ring fenced, hence the same branding and the third tier being the Championship to demonstrate the difference.

If it is licensing to make it straight into tge SL structure then that isnt the same as current at all.

Money!

Where does it come from to retain the income of current SL clubs and increase it for current Championshp clubs whilst taking into account that the present Sky contract still has some way to run?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The "new" contract coming into force this year provided for £160 million to be paid for Superleague and championship games over 5 years.

Without any additional tv deal that is enough to pay £2 Million per 12 SL sides and £666,666 per Championship or SL2 team.

Minimum standards and expected items of expenditure i.e. Development should enable a professional 2nd tier which helps narrow the gap for an promoted sides.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

16 hours ago, NickG14 said:

It would be ridiculous to put Avignon in the development league

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

It's  a bit like England wearing a GB shirt ?

Or 17 (heritage) Australians playing as `Italy' in the World Cup. Nice for the people playing but logically, and in terms of realistic international development of the game (as played by ordinary young people in Italy, Greece etc.) meaningless.

Same goes for `Greece', `Serbia, `Lebanon, `Urugay' ...... etc, etc.  This is not an anti-Australians-of-Italian-heritage campaign, and it's great that all those young people with forbears from other countries play the game, and play it well.  I just wish they would see that to properly represent any country you do need at very least a sizeable `hub' of genuinely domestic players.  No harm then in a salutary sprinkling of external `glitz'.

Or alternatively, why don't all those Australian heritage players representing countries from all over the world just proudly announce their heritage status, and celebrate it as such.

Heritage Rugby League World Cup sounds good to me - played every four years, in Australia, two years after every World Cup. 

What a fantastic celebration of Australia's brilliantly diverse population that could be.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

Im not sure if you are intentionally missing the point.

The change is that the top 2 divisions would be ring fenced, hence the same branding and the third tier being the Championship to demonstrate the difference.

If it is licensing to make it straight into tge SL structure then that isnt the same as current at all.

I'm not intentionally missing the point Dave; I just don't think it's a good point!

Who are we getting to keep out of the Championship? Who are they going to kick out? How would it prevent the perceived damage of relegation between the top 2 tiers?

I just don't see what locking teams out of the Championship (or SL 2) would achieve.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Two FT divisions of 10 teams, Toronto, Toulouse, etc go straight into SL2 so their not walking over PT semi pro teams every week. 

Teams building from the bottom up such as Manchester Rangers go into League 1 to grow and develop and once in Championship can apply for SL2

I thought it might be like two leagues of 8 or 10 with them playing the teams in their own league twice and those in the other league once. P&R between the leagues, franchising to and from it and whatever is below or outside it. I quite like it actually. 

3 minutes ago, NickG14 said:

Two FT divisions of 10 teams, Toronto, Toulouse, etc go straight into SL2 so their not walking over PT semi pro teams every week. 

Teams building from the bottom up such as Manchester Rangers go into League 1 to grow and develop and once in Championship can apply for SL2

Draper has already said Super League needs to be 12 teams as per the TV contracts. So no leagues of 10 just yet

Archived