England to play NZ in mid-season test for 2018

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Reading that I think Bennett has jumped the gun and just announced it off the cuff :) There will now be blind panic in the RFL offices. He did the same thing with the Samoa game during the 4 Nations last year. I think he has worked out how to put dithering into action!

45 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This being a tier 1 fixture it will probably be £4.99 to stream :ph34r:

This being a tier 1 fixture, the BBC might offer more than whatever is down the back of the sofa 

4 minutes ago, philipw said:

This being a tier 1 fixture, the BBC might offer more than whatever is down the back of the sofa 

If god forbid the RFL and NZRL could tie up a 3-year agreement for this fixture they could actually sell the rights. Although SKY probably have this covered in their smash and grab contract they did with the RFL.

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Great news - it would make absolute sense to alternate where this game is played so each side plays a game on home soil every year e.g. 2018 - NZ, 2019 - UK, 2020 - NZ etc.

Is this the same weekend as the Pacific Tests?

It seems another weekend. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Great news - it would make absolute sense to alternate where this game is played so each side plays a game on home soil every year e.g. 2018 - NZ, 2019 - UK, 2020 - NZ etc.

Is this the same weekend as the Pacific Tests?

It would be great. NZ over here for a summer test in June could draw 40-50k to a large venue like The Etihad or Newcastle or London. When was the last time we had a high profile home summer test mid-season? It really is an untapped market. We may even shift some England merchandise like T-Shirts, Polos and replicas given it is actually in the weather for it.

Exciting progress - even if this stuff has to be leaked by Bennett to get things talked about.

2 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

It seems another weekend. 

What weekend are they planning the Pacific Tests on then? I am presuming if different that frees up another date for internationals for NZ and England.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

It would be great. NZ over here for a summer test in June could draw 40-50k to a large venue like The Etihad or Newcastle or London. When was the last time we had a high profile home summer test mid-season? It really is an untapped market. We may even shift some England merchandise like T-Shirts, Polos and replicas given it is actually in the weather for it.

Exciting progress - even if this stuff has to be leaked by Bennett to get things talked about.

Agreed - it's not hard to put a press release out either... have England not done that via social media? 

What weekend are they planning the Pacific Tests on then? I am presuming if different that frees up another date for internationals for NZ and England.

Agreed - it's not hard to put a press release out either... have England not done that via social media? 

They are too busy getting the defib out for Nigel. This planned announcement was probably due in February. Bennett knows exactly what he is doing and how much lead in this stuff needs.

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They are too busy getting the defib out for Nigel. This planned announcement was probably due in February. Bennett knows exactly what he is doing and how much lead in this stuff needs.

Nothing on the England RL website yet. :rtfm::rtfm:

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Nothing on the England RL website yet. :rtfm::rtfm:

Because there was no announcement due. Bennett has hijacked them lol. The RLWC have got Bennett and Kidwell in NZ for a press conference and he has blabbed this out. He was probably told that is what England were planning for next year. The RLWC site has just reported what they were told by Wayne.

He knows what he is doing, he is a smart guy. He did exactly the same thing with the Samoa game in November. It is unprofessional of England RL officials. They are so off the pace it is scary.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He knows what he is doing, he is a smart guy. He did exactly the same thing with the Samoa game in November. It is unprofessional of England RL officials. They are so off the pace it is scary.

This is the part that I don't understand... announce the event i.e. date with refinement of location, timings etc later. 

This is the part that I don't understand... announce the event i.e. date with refinement of location, timings etc later. 

The prudent thing for them to do was to release a "England exploring NZ mid-season test for 2018" release. Mention negotiations, how they are looking forward to taking advantage of the standalone Origin weekend and leave it there. They don't because the whole organisation wants to micromanage everything even if it means not releasing dates/venues/tickets/sections of a ground until it is almost too late (as per last year's 4N)

To give it extra significance they could announce that the 2018 series was a 4-test series for the Baskerville Shield (1 in NZ and 3 in UK). That would mean that in the autumn the series would already be 1-0 either way (or a draw of course) with 3 to play.

The England v NZ game will be played the same weekend as the Pacific Tests. With Origin on the Sunday it will be interesting to see what game will be played on the Friday night (I'm sure either Nine or Fox will want something)

Hopefully now this fixture is announced we can see Wales v France and Scotland v Ireland announced as well.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

The England v NZ game will be played the same weekend as the Pacific Tests. With Origin on the Sunday it will be interesting to see what game will be played on the Friday night (I'm sure either Nine or Fox will want something)

Hopefully now this fixture is announced we can see Wales v France and Scotland v Ireland announced as well.

Imagine that - our TV screens full of International Rugby League for a weekend ?

or all behind a paywall of course ?

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Reading that I think Bennett has jumped the gun and just announced it off the cuff :) There will now be blind panic in the RFL offices. He did the same thing with the Samoa game during the 4 Nations last year. I think he has worked out how to put dithering into action!

To me it also looks like he expects to me in charge after this years world cup

Archived