The return of Conference South (sort of)

Plan looks well structured, let's hope it gets going. East & west divs of 8 teams each would be a good start, 14 games each then play offs. I assume play offs would create an overall winner of the whole comp. could lead to promotion to ncl if standards raise enough. 

52 minutes ago, Sick39ed said:

What level of the pyramid will this league be? Also, will teams be able to enter the Challenge Cup?

I'd have thought the champion of each premier division would be invited, though not heard it confirmed. Not sure what level of the pyramid it will be at though logically it should be seen as one division below the NCL. In practice if the RFL set up a new development pro league as rumoured on another thread then this will be a feeder league to that 

35 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Is this the creation of a league to demote clubs like Hemel Ironmen and Oxford to??

I don't think so. I think they are looking at a separate competition for that, but don't know who'll be in it 

59 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Another competition as well? Where will the clubs and players come from? 

Depends on the restructure. South Wales and possibly Oxford would fold on the spot if they were dropped into this new amateur competition. Hemel could survive with local players.

I'd go with two divisions of ten at Super League level and promote Toronto there. Drop five clubs into the new Championship to join teams 2-8 in League 1. Teams 9-16 in league 1 to join Manchester and one to three others in the lower league. The only tricky part is whether to try to fit Avignon in. I think there's no real reason them playing below Super League 2, but they may not be quote ready for that level yet.

The following format looks better than what we've got:

Super League 1:

Castleford

Catalans

Huddersfield

Hull

Leeds

St Helens

Salford

Wakefield

Warrington

Wigan

Super League 2:

Leigh

Widnes

Hull KR

Toulouse

London

Bradford

Featherstone

Halifax

Sheffield

Toronto

Championship:

Batley

Dewsbury

Oldham

Rochdale

Swinton

Workington

Whitehaven

Barrow

York

Hunslet

Keighley

Doncaster

League 1:

London Skolars

Newcastle

North Wales

Gloucestershire

Coventry

Oxford

Hemel

South Wales

Manchester

Bishops Burton College

2 hours ago, bowes said:

Depends on the restructure. South Wales and possibly Oxford would fold on the spot if they were dropped into this new amateur competition. Hemel could survive with local players.

Many thanks for your thoughts as always.

I just hope the regionalisation of the sport can get more playing, as players don't really want to be travelling hours to play a game of Rugby.

For me this is one of several big barriers to expansion. 

11 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Many thanks for your thoughts as always.

I just hope the regionalisation of the sport can get more playing, as players don't really want to be travelling hours to play a game of Rugby.

For me this is one of several big barriers to expansion. 

The East Premier should easily get off the ground with a decent sized league. The West one may have to start small and expand over time. Initially it will be dominated by Welsh clubs

3 minutes ago, bowes said:

The East Premier should easily get off the ground with a decent sized league. The West one may have to start small and expand over time. Initially it will be dominated by Welsh clubs

It would be wonderful for these divisions to be created and to accommodate more people playing at a level they can manage, with smaller travel times, and maybe if things grow, improve their infrastructure and grow a bit more.

But I don't go for any idea that over time they will progress up the league to professionalisation, as we see survival even with £75K a year has been a hard task. I'm a fervent expansionist but also a realist in these matters.

Hopefully, in time, the regional leagues underneath can expand to more divisions as I believe that adding new teams in these leagues with junior sections is what real expansion is about.

They could even run smaller more regionalised competitions below the regional leagues, for example, a 5 team North London and 5 team South London underneath the London 2 division.

This will not affect Hemel semi pro team

Hemel Stags run two amature teams open age one is the current East Premier Champions the other is a merit team. All with local players. The idea of this proposal is to bring the strongest teams together to make a competitive competition ie warrior's host's, London Chargers, plus many more teams. The winners then go into the Harry Jepson trophy and the winner's go into the 1st round of the Challenge Cup. I think it is a very good  concept it will help bridge the very hard the gap between amateur (community) and semi pro rugby. 

Archived