Toronto v Coventry

Well 5 days now until Coventry travel to Toronto. There are several questions that will be need answering over next 5 days. Do Coventry  have enough players without criminal records to get a full team out ( as Oxford did ) ? Have they done the sensible thing and applied for visas in plenty of time for this weekend, as Oxford did ? And finally will the attendance top the 8,000 mark ? ? Unfortunately for Coventry I cant see anything but a Toronto victory, but hope the Coventry club and players enjoy the experience. . .

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

Will the hot dog gun make another appearance and do they sell poutine at the stadium?

Love the hot dog gu!. Poutine is more of a Montreal thing.

It'll be interesting to see how crowds go for the next few games against even weaker opposition.

Just now, Saint 1 said:

Interestingly I think the relative closeness of games might have less of an impact on crowds than it would do over here.If you're someone who's been watching for years, a 70-6 scoreline is generally a bit of a disappointing game. If you're new to the sport, maybe the tries and the hits are still exciting enough that you enjoy it regardless of Toronto easily being the best team. 

No idea of crowd size but hoping for steady, strong growth...if it goes the way I think it might... I'd be looking at around 8200?  Really no idea....no one will know for sure...large walkup at the gate.

Praying for 8200...had to eat my underwear after I got the last prediction wrong..didn't taste to good either since I had been eating venison chili the night before!

OK  I'll go out on a limb...if not 8200 I'll eat my socks next.

"TWP: LIckin' at the chops for 8200"

1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

If they maintain getting 6-7K throughout the season, what do you think they'll get in the Championship?

About the same.  Super League would be the one to make a big difference imo

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Copa said:

Will the hot dog gun make another appearance and do they sell poutine at the stadium?

Its time for the TWP to make a step up..a step forward...I am calling for TWO (2) hotdogs guns at the game.

Thats right, just everyone just calm down for a minute, I said TWO (2) hotdog guns,not just one.

I've been informed that if , and when, we play Wigan that the Wigan women will attack the hot dog gunslinger and eat all of the hot dogs, including his last weiner (if you know what I mean)...we will need a backup gun then for sure.

Just thinking ahead thats all.

TWP Fans: "Lickin at the chops thinking about that Hot Dog Gun."

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its time for the TWP to make a step up..a step forward...I am calling for TWO (2) hotdogs guns at the game.

Thats right, just everyone just calm down for a minute, I said TWO (2) hotdog guns,not just one.

I've been informed that if , and when, we play Wigan that the Wigan women will attack the hot dog gunslinger and eat all of the hot dogs, including his last weiner (if you know what I mean)...we will need a backup gun then for sure.

Just thinking ahead thats all.

TWP Fans: "Lickin at the chops thinking about that Hot Dog Gun."

If you can fire pies out of that gun there'll be a riot.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

23 minutes ago, tim2 said:

If you can fire pies out of that gun there'll be a riot.

I predict a pie ate.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

This makes a trip to Toronto seem easy enough. I wonder if they'll arrange the fixtures like the RFL have for the Wolfpack and they base themselves in Moscow for a few weeks at a time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40078220

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

This makes a trip to Toronto seem easy enough. I wonder if they'll arrange the fixtures like the RFL have for the Wolfpack and they base themselves in Moscow for a few weeks at a time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40078220

And people over there are complaining about a flight to Toronto????...just remember the flight from Toronto to Vancouver is longer than the flight from Manchester to Toronto...thats right...that how big Canada is.  Hocey/baseball/MLS Soccer does it on a weekly basis for the entire season...not a problem.  Just a new learning curve for you 'packed in' Europeans over there...God it must feel like living in a sardine can in places over there!.

6 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

If they maintain getting 6-7K throughout the season, what do you think they'll get in the Championship?

21c and sun on Saturday...front page Globe and Mail sports saying 'this is fun' and a game that actually is in constant motion (cf MLB and CFL/NFL). Organic growth and craft beer should get them close to capacity.

Expat from South Wales here, I wouldn't have crossed the road to watch a league match, but Perez has made me a convert.  We are driving 200 miles up the 401 to watch Coventry and have been trying to buy jerseys for weeks (demand >> supply).  

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

About the same.  Super League would be the one to make a big difference imo

I honestly don't think SL matters to most fans at present.  The whole relegation/promotion thing takes some explaining!  I have been trying to use an MLB vs AA team analogy to friends, but have been throwing Harlem Globetrotter lines out as well.

As long as you see fast hands and attacking rugby I think there should be a niche, probably more than that.  The game has a totally blank sheet here and I think the marketing and management team behind it knows what they are doing.

52 minutes ago, Genghis Campbell said:

to watch Coventry and have been trying to buy jerseys for weeks (demand >> supply).  

How many and what sizes do you want me to bring??

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Genghis Campbell said:

Expat from South Wales here, I wouldn't have crossed the road to watch a league match, but Perez has made me a convert.  We are driving 200 miles up the 401 to watch Coventry and have been trying to buy jerseys for weeks (demand >> supply).  

Exactly the same as me, Swansea born and bred now living in Toronto. Watching rugby league has completely changed my view of RU.  The ending of the France vs Wales 6 nations game this year was also the final straw for me. I'm really hoping the Wolfpack can build a long term market here.

With all these whippings they are putting on the other teams, maybe now is the time they should start putting a few Canadian local players in. Now is the time to develop home talent while they are in a lower grade instead of throwing them to the sharks later in the tougher comps. Could rest a few stars on a rotation basis. There is enough talent in the team to carry a few Canadians who have some potential.  A few more home grown stars will give the fans someone to connect with.

5 minutes ago, ojx said:

Exactly the same as me, Swansea born and bred now living in Toronto. Watching rugby league has completely changed my view of RU.  The ending of the France vs Wales 6 nations game this year was also the final straw for me. I'm really hoping the Wolfpack can build a long term market here.

Haha, I never thought I would agree with anyone West of Newport!

Union is boring compared to the League I have been watching for the last few months - kicks and percentages and penalties.   My theory is 'cultural conditioning' that takes years to break - always regarded League as big boys rolling in mud watched by men with whippets;  the reality of the  game I have seen on SN World is totally different from my hazy 80s/90s experience.  Amazing speed and amazing athleticism.  

23 minutes ago, ojx said:

What is it with you Welsh boys is it something in the water in Wales or do you just get brainwashed at birth ? ?

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Archived