Dexy is not happy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The problem is closer to home for you Dex

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/40086307

I doubt anyone will disagree with him, on that he has raised the issue about how bad some SL referees are.

He appears to say that while Leigh were not good enough to win the games there were incorrect ref decisions on some of their games and indeed across the board for all teams. He suggests that some RL referees are not up to the job, yet are not answerable to anyone.

He has not raised  any  question that most fans have not all ready asked!

He expects to be fined by the RFL for his comments.

On a humanitarian pont it is great to see DB step up and pay into the Big Nigel expence account - now that Marwan has decided to donate money elsewhere (victims of Manchester attack rather than RFL party fund)

The fella (Nige) nearly had to lower himself and fly business. Luckily DB has stepped up, ( criticised the RFL) his fine  will enable Nigel to breath easy in First Class to Toronto.

So a team that is poorly disciplined on a regular basis is upset at being disciplined and wants to criticise referees for getting some (although probably not as many as they think) decisions wrong 

How about the players cut out their errors and foul play first. Five Leigh players have made over 50 errors each this season so far which as a percentage of involvement is massively higher than any referee. Jamie Acton had his own car parking spot at Red Hall as he is in front of the Disciplinary that often and Ben Crooks should be charged this week for his awful cannonball tackle.

How about he sorts his coach out who is sending out his team to bend and break the rules which contributes to why they get penalised?

How about he criticises the person who recruited some of the players who can't play the game without error or foul play? 

Yes referees aren't perfect but they are nowhere as near as bad as Beaumont claims. Time and again their decisions are shown to be spot on despite not having multiple views of the incident and with no slow motion available.

From our point of view he and we have nothing to lose apart from a few quid for Dereck 

Hopefully the players can just get on with the games rather than letting frustration get the better of them as displayed yesterday 

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

So a team that is poorly disciplined on a regular basis is upset at being disciplined and wants to criticise referees for getting some (although probably not as many as they think) decisions wrong 

How about the players cut out their errors and foul play first. Five Leigh players have made over 50 errors each this season so far which as a percentage of involvement is massively higher than any referee. Jamie Acton had his own car parking spot at Red Hall as he is in front of the Disciplinary that often and Ben Crooks should be charged this week for his awful cannonball tackle.

How about he sorts his coach out who is sending out his team to bend and break the rules which contributes to why they get penalised?

How about he criticises the person who recruited some of the players who can't play the game without error or foul play? 

Yes referees aren't perfect but they are nowhere as near as bad as Beaumont claims. Time and again their decisions are shown to be spot on despite not having multiple views of the incident and with no slow motion available.

Dexy needs to send the players on a refs course so they understand the rules of the game :D

I wonder if Beaumont felt that the referees were so bad after they beat Hull the other day?

Obviously I didn't see the game, but I'd wager there would be Hull supporters who could point to dubious calls in that game which - had they gone the other way - would have swung that game from a narrow Leigh win to a narrow Hull win.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I wonder if Beaumont felt that the referees were so bad after they beat Hull the other day?

Obviously I didn't see the game, but I'd wager there would be Hull supporters who could point to dubious calls in that game which - had they gone the other way - would have swung that game from a narrow Leigh win to a narrow Hull win.

If you listen to the audio he said that Ben Thaler had a great game at Hull on Friday night :/

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on here who hasn't complained about refereeing,  what's that saying about glass houses? I've been trying not to post on these threads as I don't want to come off bitter and biased but there's clearly something wrong within the disciplinary/ref department. How many match officials have left over the past 3 years? I've lost count personally. How often does Stuart Cummins, rightly or wrongly) end up coming to a different conclusion on sky games? For me the problem stems from the fact that such a large proportion of the rules come down to referees interpretation. You can come to two completely opposing decisions on the same incident and give reasonable justification for either. 

36 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

As I posted before yesterdays game , there were no real 50/50 calls in the Hull game for the ref to make , plenty of mistakes on both sides , but nothing controversial 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

From our point of view he and we have nothing to lose apart from a few quid for Dereck 

A few quid he could have put towards a better spine than Mcnally, Drinkwater, Reynolds and Hood.

Which was probably a bigger problem than Kendall's performance yesterday!

32 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

No complaints about Ben Thaler's performance on Friday from me. We were pants but Leigh fully deserved it and won fair and square.

As you'll see in the Leigh v Cas match thread, I was very critical of the officials during that game as it seemed Cas were able to get away with stuff that Leigh were constantly pulled up for. I admit it's often the teams who can play the game at a frantic pace and therefore are awarded penalties for being held down by teams not quite up to speed and get away with forward passes simply because the ref might not be up with play but I have to agree with Derek Beaumont here, I thought Leigh were hard done by.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

2 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

A few quid he could have put towards a better spine than Mcnally, Drinkwater, Reynolds and Hood.

I didn't know he only had the option to spend on one, who made that rule?

3 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

3 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

They werent a problem at Hull 

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

No complaints about Ben Thaler's performance on Friday from me. We were pants but Leigh fully deserved it and won fair and square.

As you'll see in the Leigh v Cas match thread, I was very critical of the officials during that game as it seemed Cas were able to get away with stuff that Leigh were constantly pulled up for. I admit it's often the teams who can play the game at a frantic pace and therefore are awarded penalties for being held down by teams not quite up to speed and get away with forward passes simply because the ref might not be up with play but I have to agree with Derek Beaumont here, I thought Leigh were hard done by.

As indeed did a lot of Hull and Leeds fans I was sat with last sunday 

"No... but I could say what phone call I had 1 hour before kick off in a game last season from a member of the "panel"... but that would open a whole can of worms which could cost people jobs etc!!!! Just for the record... I took no heed and did what was right anyway... didn't get a game the week after!!!!! Read into that what you want to."

That's from a recent championship match official on Facebook. At least 3 other former superleague/ championship refs seemingly agree with him. 

I’ve watched the game twice and actually during the first viewing it appeared to me that things seemed to be going our way. However on second viewing you can see that the ref got very little wrong, if anything. While the disallowed try from Pelissier may seem unfair it’s clear to see why he sent it up as a no try – my first thought was that it was obstruction. That said, if it had been overturned I wouldn’t have been overly upset.

Outside of the “knock on” try (which was correct) you see these going either way week in/week out

I’d be happy to hear specific incidents that the ref got absolutely wrong that has caused such a furore

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

6 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I’ve watched the game twice and actually during the first viewing it appeared to me that things seemed to be going our way. However on second viewing you can see that the ref got very little wrong, if anything. While the disallowed try from Pelissier may seem unfair it’s clear to see why he sent it up as a no try – my first thought was that it was obstruction. That said, if it had been overturned I wouldn’t have been overly upset.

Outside of the “knock on” try (which was correct) you see these going either way week in/week out

I’d be happy to hear specific incidents that the ref got absolutely wrong that has caused such a furore

Correct & accurate summary

You might be waiting a long time for specific incidents that the ref got absolutely wrong 

In all seriousness although I stand by my sentiment that the decisions were a bit of a none event in this game (and largely correct), I have been critical of refs in recent times and do think aspects of officiating need looking at.

I think the 1st thing we need to consider is the difficulty of the job a RL ref has.  Is there a sport where a ref is asked to make as many decisions? Often in different areas of the field at high speed? And is scrutinised as much?

Every play an RL ref has to consider:

the direction of numerous (often flat passes)

any off ball contact,

tackles

point of contact/dangerous contact

when to call held

are markers square?

interference?

Was the ball played properly?

Communication with defenders?

Onside/offside? 

He has to do so while keeping up with some speedy blokes and intricate movements.  And thats a simple play, assuming there are no knock ons, tries or kicks.  

99% + of these continuous decisions the refs get right.  Some will always be got wrong especially some of the more complex decisions.  

We have a culture of focusing on the wrong decisions.  Do any other sports have commentators who spend as long arguing about decisions? Do any other sports have a former referee as such a focul part of the commentary? (using technology not avaliable to the ref to analyse his decisions).

For me a few things would help refs and provide quick wins:

-Get shut of Cummings and work with the sky RL team to try and get them to dilute their focus on decisions.  Mic the video ref up for screen decisions so viewers hear HIS reasons for HIS decisions.

-Lose the silly on field try decision when sending decisions to the video ref.  If the on field ref isn't sure why make him guess?

-Introduce a second ref, like the NRL, to focus primarily on the tackle and play the ball to cut down on  the guess work at the play the ball.  

To be totally honest I will always bemoan refs (it's in the blood of us  Cas fans), but I think we probably need to assess the expectation which is placed on them and the growing difficulty of the job.

Archived