Sign in to follow this  
Konkrete

Swinton in trouble...?

Yes, we are in trouble....

...see this link http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/329 ... which is selling our fantastic 150 years of the Lions book, which given our illustrious past is a great read for RL fans in general

...our present and future are unclear, as Lions fans we're appealing to all to help us survive and thrive, most likely as a fan run club. 

To be able to do this we need to deal with immediate debt.

if you don't fancy the book, please consider a donation however small to the Lions Community Foundation - the link in in the same page  http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/329

Better still if you're at a loose end, come and see our match v Dewsbury next Sunday (16th July) at Heywood Road, Sale.

Thanks, on behalf of all Swinton Lions fans

Edited by LiondressedasRam
Bad grammar
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

How come that every thread about any other Championship club ends up being a discussion by certain people about Bradford and the viability of SL etc?

Are Swinton no longer worthy of any respect or consideration?

It's all off topic discussions but the poster knows this. 

Back on Topic. I hope Swinton get out of this mess just like any other RL club. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Parksider said:

I don't agree with there being two viewpoints only......

As for the international element at club level you got that with Catalans and can enlarge it with Toulouse. However there is no value to this unless you or anyone else can point to that added value??

YES indeed we need the big clubs, Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Saints, Wire etc. These are the pull for the TV companies and the viewers.

That is exactly why Superleague wants HKR and Bradford back.

These facts above over ride "viewpoints", the view of an international SL needs to accept the reality of the French experiment and not allow the same mistake of Canada.

The view of big English clubs securing the SKY deal needs to not be expressed as a view but a reality that means Superleague are keen to get HKR back and later Bradford.

Not sure where you're coming from there Parky.  I said there are basically two positions and laid them out.  You've said you don't agree but then gone on to describe the content of one of those options.

Dont really want to derail the thread but interested to hear what you would detail as alternative position is outside what I've described.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:14 AM, Vladman said:

Who is funding the Bulls now Adey? as looking at the potential cashflow through gates/other revenue it does not stack up could the RFL actually have a financial stake in the club and its just being fronted.

Really no idea.  We are TOLD it is ChaLo.  And it is implied that their limited funds explains, inter alia, why they were not able to sign players sufficient to avoid the near-inevitable relegation.

Can't be official central funding (effectively zero) or sponsorship (most went to Green) and gate receipts will be limited, given the club honoured season tickets where Green received the funds. Or anything much else, as far as I can see. None of the finances stack up to me.  But they never did anyway, over recent years.  There was never any way the Khan or Green regimes were ever going to make anything other than big losses.

The mood in the limited corridors of power at the club seems to be far more upbeat than the seeming impending latest disaster facing the club would suggest. But I really have no idea what the role of Wood and his cabal in all this is - beyond that they made sure the only bidder left standing was the one with seemingly much the least funds, that the new club would be forced to see out the fixture programme and then face almost certain relegation anyway at the end of it (totaly wasting a year, at best), and that - crucially - the RFL kept its hands on the stadium site, which is recorded as a valuable asset in the RFL accounts.

I very much speculate that any involvement the RFL may have has little to do with the Bulls per se, and everything to do with the stadium site.  And its (re?)development potential.

Edited by Adeybull
Fixed typos
  • Like 1

I suppose here is an interesting hypothetical conundrum to consider - a group of investors from Montreal offer to buy Swinton out of all their debts in return for renaming to just 'The Lions' and playing 8 out of 15 'home' games in Canada. Would Swinton fans take it, even as a last resort?

(NB this has as much basis as other suggestions that Widnes was set to sell to the Wolfpack and I hope Swinton get themselves sorted - but is an interesting topic of discussion)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose here is an interesting hypothetical conundrum to consider - a group of investors from Montreal offer to buy Swinton out of all their debts in return for renaming to just 'The Lions' and playing 8 out of 15 'home' games in Canada. Would Swinton fans take it, even as a last resort?

(NB this has as much basis as other suggestions that Widnes was set to sell to the Wolfpack and I hope Swinton get themselves sorted - but is an interesting topic of discussion)

I'd say no.

We've fought to keep the Swinton name despite having no home for 25 years.

• Like 2

Will there be a programme produced for the Dewsbury game? I have been to Swinton 4 times at the start of this season this but no programme was produced last time I went. I have 360 Swinton programmes in my collection and I went to most of those games but I don't want to turn up at a game and not come home with a programme.

Hi Kenny, I thought we had produced a programme for all games, which are you missing? Unless we havent paid the programme maker there will be some this weekend.

Thank you everyone that has donated or purchased an item. It shows the RL family does come together when a club needs help. Adam Hills from last leg has just made a substantial donation 

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

I'll be there, and I hope that quite a few other Dewsbury fans turn up as well.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone, I hope in future Swinton fans will show their gratitude if anyone else finds themselves in such a position

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Thank you everyone, I hope in future Swinton fans will show their gratitude if anyone else finds themselves in such a position

Mark, that sadly is inevitable.

I have fond memories of Station Road. Bought my girlfriend a jammy wagon wheel there in the early 90s. Last of the big spenders! Good luck with the fight! RL always looks after its own.

• Like 1

Fond memories of the old Swinton ground myself . The struggling lower league often unfashionable heartland clubs must support each other as few anywhere else will . These are our bedrock and will be there long after many passing through have come and gone 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, Blind side johnny said:

I'll be there, and I hope that quite a few other Dewsbury fans turn up as well.

Two coaches filled now so should get a decent turnout despite the holidays.

• Like 3

Hi Kenny

YES there will be a programme on Sunday I suggest you get there early to avoid missing out.

Blind Side Johnny

Great to hear that about Two Coaches tell them to bring their Wallets and Purses with them as we have a big tombola going on at the game and there will be a good few old Swinton players their too signing Steve Wild's book which will cost you £ 19.99

Lets make it a great day and get the Rugby League family banging the drum for the greatest game on the planet.

Riggy

Swinton Media

• Like 3

On 7/11/2017 at 1:53 PM, marklaspalmas said:

Just ordered my book. It's the least we can do.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time and spending your hard earned cash to try to help our club much appreciated 

On 7/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, Benjamaphone said:

Gonna come along this Sunday - will be nice to see how many other neutrals show up in support :yes:

Much appreciated Benjamaphone we really are a rugby league family we surely must show here to the RFL that whatever colours we wear RL is at our core

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, Mark said:

Hi Kenny, I thought we had produced a programme for all games, which are you missing? Unless we havent paid the programme maker there will be some this weekend.

Thank you everyone that has donated or purchased an item. It shows the RL family does come together when a club needs help. Adam Hills from last leg has just made a substantial donation 

London Skolars in the cup mate. I would have been satisfied with a team sheet but they had run out of them as well. Wasn't pleased that there were none of those lovely pies on sale that day either! I will be there on Sunday if I get back from my walk in time. I don't watch Crusaders away any more. Too many teams in Championship 1 don't produce a programme. That will sound petty to some but I have been collecting them since my first game in 1971 and when I go to a game I expect to take a programme home. You might remember that I had a page in the Swinton programme for a few years around the time of the move from Station road. Do the supporters trust still produce the Swinton programme? It's a decent read Mark.

• Like 1

They don't produce it anymore, thin it stopped at the end of last season. It is a local supplier they use though, hopefully they have paid them!

Thanks Mark & Riggy. I don't want to lose Swinton. I have many, many good friends who are Swinton fans, and some great memories - especially of Station road. (I have some bad memories as well mind you. I met my wife one Friday night after attending a Swinton .v. Oldham game. That long ago - Green Vigo was playing!). I will help as much as I can afford.

• Like 2