Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

Grenfell Tower Block fire in London.

American media already blaming terrorism. It could have been nothing more than someone falling asleep with the oven on, or a faulty phone charger.

Apparently, there were some floors where no fire alarms were triggered.

Edited by Wolford6

11 minutes ago, Mark S said:

American media already blaming terrorism. It could have been nothing more than someone falling asleep with the oven on, or a faulty phone charger.

Very irresponsible if that's the case Mark.

Dreadful scenes

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Reports at the moment suggest that 1 flat caught fire and it spread to the outside cladding, thus bypassing the fire protection.

I was going to say it looks like the claddings on fire. In that report it say the building has just had a refurbishment and the cladding had been changed. Modern cladding shouldn't be going up like that. 

Edited by bobbruce

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I was going to say it looks like the claddings on fire. In that report it say the building has just had a refurbishment and the cladding had been changed. Modern cladding shouldn't be going up like that. 

From memory the last major fire in a tower block spread from one flat to others due to the new UPVC window frames burning/melting and the dripping plastic set fire to flats below.  A flat 'should' contain a fire for 1 hour, which is why the standard advice is to stay put and not evacuate.

This is going to be a watershed moment in Health and Safety and building regs, similar to the Bradford Fire. 

I dread to think what the numbers of dead and injured are going to be.

30 are in hospital. That's the only figure we know. The estimate is that 500 were in the building and that the fire service have confirmed fatalities but can't say yet how many.

What appears to be clear is thar whatever the cause the fire protection within the building has failed totally.

I couldn't believe what I saw on the TV this morning. The place was an inferno at its peak.  How can a building be so comprehensively devoured by fire and so quickly in this day and age?  

30 minutes ago, Mark S said:

This is going to be a watershed moment in Health and Safety and building regs, similar to the Bradford Fire. 

I dread to think what the numbers of dead and injured are going to be.

I remember the Bradford fire.  That was horrific too and indeed it was a watershed moment.

Apparently the residents had been told to stay put in case of fire, with their doors able to hold up for at least 30 mins. Sadly it looks like it's spread through the cladding. 

That's part of my teenage stomping ground and I've got a good few friends who grew up on that estate, most of whom have family still living there. Luckily they're not in that particular tower and all are ok. Terrifying for those involved and their loved ones attempting to contact them in the early hours.

Been talk previously about the safety of people in that building, one of the resident's groups being particularly concerned about the risk of fire. Also, questions raised about the standard of the refurbishment work recently completed.

Thoughts go out to those families who have lost their homes n to those who have lost lives. 

Was watching an interview with a resident who managed to escape with his family, as he was leaving his neighbour came out n said have you got everyone out...his fridge had exploded. 

They mention that the block of flats was refurbished last year ...that residents were been intimidated by both RBKC tenants management organisation n the contractors as they would not listen to their concerns.

I use to live within the Borough until very recently..RBKC has a huge stock of properties with different type of build ranging from the expensive to the Tower Blocks that is been shown on our screens. ( I know that area quite well ).  

When cyclical works take place the council puts the contracts out to tender for the entire borough....they don't pick the cheapest..normally someone middle of road..they then subcontract...not unusual but they frequently skimp on costs or do shoddy work.. My area ( sorry can't reveal details) I had experienced two major works ..various residents groups had been fighting council for compensation for over 12 yrs..myself included.  

An example of  their work...they had a flat pitched roof which the council wanted to do...there was a 20 yr guarantee on the work but in order to make it valid..no resident living at the top of the flats could have access to the roof ..so they blocked off their Skylights...ie their only access of escape in the event of fire. As it happened in my block..A fire broke out in the top floor flat because of a washing machine...it transpired it was due to dodgy wiring done when contractors did the major work. Fortunately the family was not hurt ..they also had unblocked the Skylight for their safety.  

When I lived their I never allowed council contractors on my property as I knew they would scr@4 things up...when they did I would rip them up n do them correctly...much to the annoyance of the council..but they knew the work done did not conform to building regs.

Sounds like RBKC have made grave errors that have not only destroyed peoples homes n possessions but have cost lives. They need to be held accountable. 

Just announced at least 6 fatalities. This may of course rise but I think that's a remarkably low figure considering the time the fire broke out, the speed at which it took hold and, sadly, the advice the residents were given in the case of fire.

10 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Just announced at least 6 fatalities. This may of course rise but I think that's a remarkably low figure considering the time the fire broke out, the speed at which it took hold and, sadly, the advice the residents were given in the case of fire.

Can't believe it's not going to be in the 10s

Have a quick look at this if you want to get angry - https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

I can't imagine what it was like to be in there or be the firefighters who went in and got people out from upper floors.

One of the problems RBKC  has , is it is a large borough n they do not have enough surveyors to monitor projects undertaken ,especially qualified ones ...the same is true  of building regulators..though I knew an excellent one there...there work is stretched. So if corners were cut or incorrect materials used...again it does not surprise me...very tragic...I know to early to portion blame but sure if they had followed regulations, listened to residents concerns this would not have happened. 

It'll keep happening until people start going to jail for shoddy work that threatens life. 

• Like 2

The cladding could conform to the correct standards.  Only issue is that those standards are currently under review apparently after a number on incidents.  Seen one report saying that a review of the standards had been delayed in march.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

It'll keep happening until people start going to jail for shoddy work that threatens life. 

It might not be shoddy work, it might meet and exceed the current standards.

(The Titanic exceeded the safety standards of the time...)