17 Jun: CCQF: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to admit it, but I don't think I've ever shown more apathy to an important cup tie and a local derby that would likely have seen a crowd close to 15k if both teams were doing well.

I suppose I just want the distraction of the cup out of the way so the team can focus on preserving Super League status.   Either way, win or lose the problems will still exist and panic-signing a young Kiwi utility back won't make any difference to the current situation.   Should we stay up I hope he surprises us all with some quality showings after a full pre-season under his belt.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Last season's finalists v the team who so nearly hot to Wembley and the first post is all doom and gloom.

I guess it's understandable but I hope it's a great game and both teams turn in a decent performance.

Woeful Wire 16 injury hit Pies 20.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Sco77 said:

This promises to be the mother of all "knock- on -a - thons. 

Can someone please tell me why it's not on tele? 

Eh?

They're all on telly aren't they?

Edit: Yes they are...

http://www.wheresthematch.com/tv/home.asp?showdatestart=20170617&sportid=2

Could be like watching "Rocky Balboa" version XXVIII, we know they were once great but we view it for curiosity value, to see which one of the old codgers wins in the last seconds of the final round.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Golly - every 33 years they get giddy... 

I think it'll be fascinating to see how quickly Wigan get back into the swing of things with tacklers in the pack and a recognisable back line. Similarly the real Wire have to wake up at some point... 

For whoever loses, there is the prospect of having the best side in the country playing at full strength either for the glory of 7th or to avoid the MPG from mid June.  Funny do that. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Golly - every 33 years they get giddy... 

:huh:

Two misfiring teams who may, at this point, see the Cup as their best chance of a pot this year. Could be interesting, could be exciting, could be awful.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Sad to admit it, but I don't think I've ever shown more apathy to an important cup tie and a local derby that would likely have seen a crowd close to 15k if both teams were doing well.

I suppose I just want the distraction of the cup out of the way so the team can focus on preserving Super League status.   Either way, win or lose the problems will still exist and panic-signing a young Kiwi utility back won't make any difference to the current situation.   Should we stay up I hope he surprises us all with some quality showings after a full pre-season under his belt.

This is obviously a (sick?) joke. There is more chance of being shot by an apache as an old friend of mine used to say, that Wire or Wigan being relegated!  

On 2017-6-15 at 0:15 PM, Moc said:

Tomkins, Gelling, Farrell, O'Loughlin, Bateman and Powell return for @TheChallengeCup Quarter Final

Easy Wigan win

Some of those guys will be a bit game-rusty, no matter how much they've trained.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 6/15/2017 at 0:15 PM, Moc said:

Tomkins

Which one?

58 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Which one?

Sam. I just have this vision of him hobbling off after about 15 minutes with yet another injury.

Tony Clubb, on Radio 4 this morning, said he was 1-2 weeks away from returning, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not oloughlin . He's a pro at this 

No, not him. Most probably Bateman and Tomkins. Possibly Gelling, but who knows how he operates?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wane is the master at grinding out a sudden death win such as a final.   That shines through in the interviews this week where he's been talking about a loss being out of the question and unthinkable.   He certainly seems to be able to motivate his troops when it matters,in the right way.

Conversely, Smith seems to try to take the pressure off his players and has stated this week that win or loss, nothing will change.   This approach hasn't really worked for him when the team's not been playing well, and may have been the reason for the lack of killer instinct when we've played in the grand finals and been required to come from behind.   It's no secret that in our successful seasons when we weren't able to bully teams and rack up a few scores in the first 20 minutes, we didn't tend to go on to win the game.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Really looking forward to this match (and the one tomorrow)

Whilst both teams are off form, there is enough talent on show for a good match.  Plus it is sunny so should be fast paced.

Hope Warrington win but expect Wigun to take it by 10 points.

Hopefully Robbie Paul will be on hand to walk across the pitch and deliver some insightful views on the contest...

Stuart Pearce doing the intro.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived