Delayed Kick Off

Kaz

I wouldnt think many of the lads are interested in being a tv showcase , they make decent money at work and I'd say not many could be tempted to leave their day jobs and their homes  and at representative level I'm pretty sure scotland are well aware of what callum has to offer by now too , or at least they should be .

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Kaz said:

Wow, Haven have got out of jail today. York had  3 penalties to Tie the game & missed all 3!!!!

Sorry about that boys we should have had a draw today ,haven were decent today ,look forward to welcoming you guys in July.

Long live heartlands rugby.

Turned  up  at   2.45  as  usual,  paid  me  £15  pound   and  had  to  leave  at  halftime  to  attend  fathers  day  do  me  family  have  long  had  planed  at  6.

Spent  a  good  couple  of  hours  hanging  about  with  next  to  no  info.

As a follower of Toronto, I hadn't seen Workington play before today. I was really impressed by what I saw. They were as physical a side as I've seen so far in league 1 and played hard for the full 80 minutes. There were some pretty big hits especially the first couple sets they defended. Probably deserved at least another try, especially the one where they knocked on in goal instead of grounding. Looked like a sure thing.

A bit harsh having three tries run up against them at the end when they'd been depleted of subs for 20 minutes. The thought occurs that they may have had others playing with knocks but since they couldn't come off, you wouldn't know. With no subs, I assume some players would have had to play out of their usual position too. 

It should be said that that was far from Toronto's best performance. Part of that is credit to Workington I'm sure. TWP definitely looked frustrated at times and gave away a lot of penalties. 

I think this game highlighted better than most just how much adversity there can be for non-professional teams vs Toronto. I've never seen a sporting event delayed by a traffic accident before. Having to sit in your car for a couple extra hours before a game, not having the luxury of retiring to your hotel for rest and refreshments, losing a player due to work commitments, not being able to train full time and match the fitness level of your opponent etc... Also, I'd assume that even if you could go into work a bit late, it must be hard to stay mentally focused on the game knowing you've got to put in a full shift afterward. If any other expansion happens, I hope they don't put another fully professional side in league 1. I can understand why they did it but I think most would agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The one upside I suppose is that Toronto do seem to bring out larger crowds and generate a bit more exposure when they play away.

Any word on the attendance? I would think the delay probably cost more than a few spectators. At any rate, the fans there sounded as much stuck into the match as the team.

TL/DR version: That was a very brave performance in trying circumstances. I even found myself subconsciously getting behind Workington in the second half. Enjoyable to watch from my perspective. Closer than the scoreline would suggest. You should be proud of your boys. I think if they can play like that every week (and stay healthy), they should finish in the top 8. Best of luck to you. 

Obviously Toronto  calling  the  shots  about  when  they  deemed  what  time  they  would  kick  off.Real  Billy Big  Boots  tantrum  from  them.Ref  should've  abandoned  the  game  when  they  couldn't  be  arsed  making  the 4.30  kick  off.

Surely the 18th man should played today instead of Alex when it was known he had to go to work? 

Maybe we should delay the kick off every match because in the first half that was the best atmosphere for ages...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

any news on injuries to our two forwards and joe ? with callum also out due to bans and stevie injured this is a bit worrying at a crucial point and only 4 games left

Aye, and holiday season coming up too, we could be struggling for a team in a few weeks.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

29 minutes ago, Markus said:

As a follower of Toronto, I hadn't seen Workington play before today. I was really impressed by what I saw. They were as physical a side as I've seen so far in league 1 and played hard for the full 80 minutes. There were some pretty big hits especially the first couple sets they defended. Probably deserved at least another try, especially the one where they knocked on in goal instead of grounding. Looked like a sure thing.

A bit harsh having three tries run up against them at the end when they'd been depleted of subs for 20 minutes. The thought occurs that they may have had others playing with knocks but since they couldn't come off, you wouldn't know. With no subs, I assume some players would have had to play out of their usual position too. 

It should be said that that was far from Toronto's best performance. Part of that is credit to Workington I'm sure. TWP definitely looked frustrated at times and gave away a lot of penalties. 

I think this game highlighted better than most just how much adversity there can be for non-professional teams vs Toronto. I've never seen a sporting event delayed by a traffic accident before. Having to sit in your car for a couple extra hours before a game, not having the luxury of retiring to your hotel for rest and refreshments, losing a player due to work commitments, not being able to train full time and match the fitness level of your opponent etc... Also, I'd assume that even if you could go into work a bit late, it must be hard to stay mentally focused on the game knowing you've got to put in a full shift afterward. If any other expansion happens, I hope they don't put another fully professional side in league 1. I can understand why they did it but I think most would agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The one upside I suppose is that Toronto do seem to bring out larger crowds and generate a bit more exposure when they play away.

Any word on the attendance? I would think the delay probably cost more than a few spectators. At any rate, the fans there sounded as much stuck into the match as the team.

TL/DR version: That was a very brave performance in trying circumstances. I even found myself subconsciously getting behind Workington in the second half. Enjoyable to watch from my perspective. Closer than the scoreline would suggest. You should be proud of your boys. I think if they can play like that every week (and stay healthy), they should finish in the top 8. Best of luck to you. 

Great stuff mate and you're observation on the full time outfit unbalancing this standard of league is spot on . No grumbles at all about Toronto per se , as you're submersion in the game shows the up side clearly 

30 minutes ago, Markus said:

One of the best posts I have ever read.

I wish you and Toronto well but I must admit I was a bit disappointed with Paul Rowley's antics.

Any views Markus? 

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

16 minutes ago, anok4u said:

Surely the 18th man should played today instead of Alex when it was known he had to go to work? 

Maybe we should delay the kick off every match because in the first half that was the best atmosphere for ages...

Not sure we had one ? By my reckoning the two new loan forwards give us a squad of 27 and 10 of them were unavailable. Davies, Patrick, Coward, Scholey, Ritson, Shelford all injured. The new prop from Wigan was unavailable due to family commitments. Callum is suspended, Dowsett has disappeared and Fearon hasn't even been sighted. So I reckon we were down to our last 17 today.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Not sure we had one ? By my reckoning the two new loan forwards give us a squad of 27 and 10 of them were unavailable. Davies, Patrick, Coward, Scholey, Ritson, Shelford all injured. The new prop from Wigan was unavailable due to family commitments. Callum is suspended, Dowsett has disappeared and Fearon hasn't even been sighted. So I reckon we were down to our last 17 today.

Aye sounds about right, how much bad luck do we have injury wise though It's unreal year after year...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

54 minutes ago, Ken John Peel said:

Obviously Toronto  calling  the  shots  about  when  they  deemed  what  time  they  would  kick  off.Real  Billy Big  Boots  tantrum  from  them.Ref  should've  abandoned  the  game  when  they  couldn't  be  arsed  making  the 4.30  kick  off.

The kick off time was 45 minutes after the arrival of the last player 4-30 wasn't an option 

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

2 hours ago, Markus said:

Very insightful comment . I had to abandon the mission due to the unfolding scenario but it sounds like we didn't let ourselves down with diminished resources. Not ideal but big raps to Alex for at least turning out before the day job beckoned. 

1 hour ago, GETEMONSIDE said:

I wish you and Toronto well but I must admit I was a bit disappointed with Paul Rowley's antics.

Any views Markus? 

I don't think you're alone in that view. He seems to have a bit of a reputation from what I can tell but that's mostly from what I've gathered from various posts on this board so I don't know what to make of it. I'm not sure how he's looked upon by his peers and other players. TBH, while I'm getting a pretty good grasp of the game, I'm still rather under-informed about a lot of things in RL. 

If you're referring to their leaving the ground, it's hard to say without knowing all the details. I think the announced delay was an hour when I heard that Toronto had returned to the hotel. I was admittedly surprised since surely half of that time would be spent in transit. If they were told straight away that kickoff was going to be at 5pm or indefinite then I don't begrudge them returning to get a pregame snack and re-focus. 

Same with their late return. If it was deliberate gamesmanship or just the hubris of knowing that they could turn up whenever they liked since re-scheduling was not really an option, then that's really disrespectful and totally unnecessary. It's unfair to your opposition (as we saw with losing a player to a work obligation), it's unfair to the paying fans (for whom Sunday evening on Father's day is their last family time before going back to work Monday), and it was unfair to me since I was up before 7am on a Sunday to watch! I'm kidding bout that last one, I just switched over to cricket. I feel for any of you who told the wife "don't worry, I'll be home by 5."

If, however, there was some unforeseen delay or further traffic or communication issues getting back, then I don't take issue with it. In that instance, it was at worst poor planning.

I guess my biggest takeaway was that it was just all really unfortunate. It seemed like one of the most highly anticipated matches for the local fans and players and ended up as a bit of an embarrassment to the league IMO. It sort of soured the whole event. I think it's fair to ask if they were allowed to leave just because they're Toronto and if the same privilege would have been extended to Workington if the roles were reversed.

Were there other antics to which you were referring? As I said, I've come to really love this game but I'm still pretty new to it and so probably miss a few things.

8 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Very insightful comment . I had to abandon the mission due to the unfolding scenario but it sounds like we didn't let ourselves down with diminished resources. Not ideal but big raps to Alex for at least turning out before the day job beckoned. 

certainly missed him in the middle after he left

Magnificent effort from the lads . Only disappointment was some of the language used in some of the chants by the lads ,and the constant baiting of Paul Rowley who was sat right in the middle of them , but i suppose that was his choice .

38 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Magnificent effort from the lads . Only disappointment was some of the language used in some of the chants by the lads ,and the constant baiting of Paul Rowley who was sat right in the middle of them , but i suppose that was his choice .

YEAH, bit childish really, certainly not the best advert for the club, Could be clearly heard on TV when I watched it later!!

Any info into yesterdays injury's ? big Phil was limping badly as was Joe Ryan  and not sure what was up with Joe Hambley, we were certainly up against it after these lads got injured , great effort from the lads yesterday tho and I know a lot of spectators appreciated that, that's all we ask for 100% every match.

Ye agree about the chanting but Mr Rowley showed his childish side by taking his team away and not returning on time and what about his bouncer baiting the Town fans when he was walking across the pitch, very mature indeed !!!!

Obviously the initial problem, was down to a Motorway accident, so no blame can be laid on the late arrivals, i.e. Match Officials and Town players for the ensuing delay.

But after having arrived about 2:30 for 3:00 start it was most certainly a long and tiresome wait for the action.

And as one writer on here has already queried why on earth were Toronto allowed to leave Derwent Park and go to their hotel?  The question was also asked what would have happened if Town had done a similar thing? (no sympathy from RFL I bet).

I had heard the ongoing 'terrace talk' that the officials and Town players were in attendance at just after 4 pm. 

We on the popular side saw the Toronto team bus arrive again at 4:45, and that was just not good enough, and surely the RFL must look into this and dish out some form of punishment to the Toronto outfit? - not that any cash penalty will worry them of course. In the end the match was very entertaining and the scoreline did Town no justice at all.

51 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

Obviously the initial problem, was down to a Motorway accident, so no blame can be laid on the late arrivals, i.e. Match Officials and Town players for the ensuing delay.

But after having arrived about 2:30 for 3:00 start it was most certainly a long and tiresome wait for the action.

And as one writer on here has already queried why on earth were Toronto allowed to leave Derwent Park and go to their hotel?  The question was also asked what would have happened if Town had done a similar thing? (no sympathy from RFL I bet).

I had heard the ongoing 'terrace talk' that the officials and Town players were in attendance at just after 4 pm. 

We on the popular side saw the Toronto team bus arrive again at 4:45, and that was just not good enough, and surely the RFL must look into this and dish out some form of punishment to the Toronto outfit? - not that any cash penalty will worry them of course. In the end the match was very entertaining and the scoreline did Town no justice at all.

4 hours ago, Onreport said:

YEAH, bit childish really, certainly not the best advert for the club, Could be clearly heard on TV when I watched it later!!

So Toronto travels thousands of kilometers for a game and shows up early and on time.  There is an accident on the highway (hopefully no one was hurt) and the ref and some hometown players are delayed (OK).  While Toronto is waiting, a number of fans are shouting verbal abuse at them and their coach on Fathers Day when children are present (Not OK).

The ref shows up before the stranded players  (OK) and is ready to go but the home team, even though they have enough to start the game, request a further delay to field the 'specific' team they want to start (Not OK)  When the added delay the home team requested is instituted, the away team retires to their bus to wait (OK) and not be screamed at with verbal abuse (OK). The visitors wait until the home side gets their act together, return,  and then they are blamed for all problems as they quickly pummel the opposing team (OK).

I get it!

"Run With The Pack!"

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So Toronto travels thousands of kilometers for a game and shows up early and on time.  There is an accident on the highway (hopefully no one was hurt) and the ref and some hometown players are delayed (OK).  While Toronto is waiting, a number of fans are shouting verbal abuse at them and their coach on Fathers Day when children are present (Not OK).

The ref shows up before the stranded players  (OK) and is ready to go but the home team, even though they have enough to start the game, request a further delay to field the 'specific' team they want to start (Not OK)  When the added delay the home team requested is instituted, the away team retires to their bus to wait (OK) and not be screamed at with verbal abuse (OK). The visitors wait until the home side gets their act together, return,  and then they are blamed for all problems as they quickly pummel the opposing team (OK).

I get it!

"Run With The Pack!"

You can claim to "pummel" the opposition all you want with your washed up ex super league has beens ipi find it quite cringe worthy some of them are even still getting a game, as soon as a little pressure was applied to your team they buckled .. They were ill disciplined and their constant appeals to the referee were rather boring .. Yes they have some strike players who if there not anything else but finished as a RL pro should be embarrassed at the level they are playing .

this isn't new to us .. We've seen it before... Celtic crusaders to name one side .. Let's see how long it lasts .. I'll bet you Workington town are still here many a year after the Wolfpack have folded :) 

2 minutes ago, westizbest said:

You can claim to "pummel" the opposition all you want with your washed up ex super league has beens ipi find it quite cringe worthy some of them are even still getting a game, as soon as a little pressure was applied to your team they buckled .. They were ill disciplined and their constant appeals to the referee were rather boring .. Yes they have some strike players who if there not anything else but finished as a RL pro should be embarrassed at the level they are playing .

this isn't new to us .. We've seen it before... Celtic crusaders to name one side .. Let's see how long it lasts .. I'll bet you Workington town are still here many a year after the Wolfpack have folded :) 

16 hours ago, GETEMONSIDE said:

Any views Markus? 

l

Yes...yes...its all Rowleys fault for your loss...Toronto should be ashamed of themselves for showing up on time and winning...how dare they?  Must be the Torontos players fault for your loss?

Watch the game next week against Hunslet and we will show you how to properly welcome a team..not all vitriol and made up excuses beforehand.  And no screaming abusive words infront of small children (what an awful example) as your management delays, delays, delays... YUP....must be Torontos fault.

We all know what is really going on here.

"Lickin' our chops to play Workington again: The Pack!"

Archived