Sign in to follow this  
Loiner

Robbie Hunter-Paul.

Can anyone really say there is any point in him running around on the pitch while the game is in progress ? As for Jonathan Davies "You know what Cas are going to do now, do everything they can to win" 10 out of 10 for stating the bleeding obvious.

• Like 1

If there are two things that the beeb need to address the first is to ditch Robbie and his meaningless babble followed by the cringingly embarrassing "general knowledge" quiz of players on the Super League show 

• Like 2

I don't get the Robbie Paul thing either.As for the general knowledge game,it's just a bit of fun in my eyes in an overly serious world. The players are willing so hey ho,a bit if fun,nothing more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

Can anyone really say there is any point in him running around on the pitch while the game is in progress ? As for Jonathan Davies "You know what Cas are going to do now, do everything they can to win" 10 out of 10 for stating the bleeding obvious.

I agree about Robbie, but Jiffy's obviously still clued up about the game, and IMO gives some useful insight into how it's played. Apart from Lewis Jones he was the best Union convert I ever saw, and also played in the hard school of Aussie RL.  Plus I think he adds a touch of authenticity for non RL fans who happen to be watching.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I agree about Robbie, but Jiffy's obviously still clued up about the game, and IMO gives some useful insight into how it's played. Apart from Lewis Jones he was the best Union convert I ever saw, and also played in the hard school of Aussie RL.  Plus I think he adds a touch of authenticity for non RL fans who happen to be watching.

He was clearly a brilliant player, but even commentating on RU he's rubbish. Full of clichés and doesn't add much. If he was like Jon Wells for sky then I'd get it. Its most irritating when he doesn't know the rules etc. 

• Like 1

To be honest i would rather have a dedicated fan from each side involved who watch their team every week and hear what they have to say as opposed to these "so called experts " .

Having Robbie on the pitch before kick-off means he can occasionally get a few words from a player.

The post-try stuff involves nothing that can't be said from the touchline.

As for Jiffy, the BBC can use him for either code, so he's a very convenient person for them to have on call.

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

To be honest i would rather have a dedicated fan from each side involved who watch their team every week and hear what they have to say as opposed to these "so called experts " .

Yep, that would pull the punters in.

• Like 1

One thing I do prefer about the BBC commentators is the lesser focus on whether the referee has got something wrong.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Loiner said:

He's certainly a man of a few million words.  Just wish he wouldn't try to say them all in a 30second segment.

Jiffys ok.  Praises and defends both codes.  Keep him, ditch RHP.

• Like 2

I cant stand to hear Davies to be honest, he might be a very nice man and he was certainly a very good player but his addition to any commentary is negligible. I've long held the belief that shadowy figures at the BBC put him on the RL to make people turn off ;-)

• Like 2

I used to resent JD's presence as something of a fifth columnist, but his contributions are quite astute in my view. He sees things from the players perspective, rather than a fan, and is quick to pick out a strategy being adopted and a weakness being exposed that this viewer at least wouldn't have identified.

(My estimation of him as a soft RU flash-Harry changed in an instant one night when I saw him get clattered horribly in a nasty foul by Laurie Daley in a World Club Challenge then get up and put the ball down for a try, before anyone else noticed. A really tough player after all!)

• Like 5

No doubting Jiffie's standing as a player- one of the best converts from punt n' grunt that I have seen but he has an irritating habit of stating the bleedin' obvious. What I miss is his verbal punch-ups with Eddie Wareing's natural successor Ray French. On the other hand Jamie Jones-Buchanan is a breath of fresh air .Knowledgeable-self deprecating - and humorous. A pundit worth his fee!

I like him, JD that is as well as his blatantly obvious comments - surely one thing we want from the BBC is attracting a new audience and hence stating the bleeding obvious is to say the bleeding obvious a good thing.

Edited by redjonn

The BBC are so much better than the hyperbolic drivel we get from Phil Clarke and the desperate wannabe referree Eddie Hemmings. 

Jiffy, of late, seems to have cut down the "simple" and "poor" comments a bit, and sounds more upbeat. He's also a familiar face and voice to non-RL viewers.

my gaster is genuinely flabbered at the amount of love for Davies.  Maybe he has stopped moaning on and on in his dreary voice and I haven't noticed because I automatically tune out whenever he speaks (cant remember a word he said at the weekend to be honest)? And continues moaning when something else is happening - I cant quite remember now but wasn't he still moaning bitterly about something after England scored a try in recent years? And I'm not a knocker of RL commentators - doubt I've ever posted anything on here against any of them.... but Davies...sheeesh. 

Ah well, whatever floats your boat