Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scubby

London Broncos "Dark Horses"?

88 posts in this topic

Pardon the pun. The Broncos have put together a really impressive run of results lately and could be really competitive in the Middle 8s. They have had a core of very good players together for a while now. If they can get a good draw with home fixtures then they may come close to the 3 wins or so needed to get into the MPG or maybe even better? Congratulations to Andrew Henderson and the club for keeping London competitive. It is great to see.

9 people like this

Hoping to go on Sunday.  Hoping Fev put up a better show than at the Big Bash, where they displayed their usual Blackpool ineptitude.  Any clues on best way to get there from Kings X?

The problem being, if we're promoted where do we play? Trailfinders isn't near SL standard (and the RU side were told that they wouldn't be promoted for the same reason) and yet another ground move doesn't bear thinking about.

Does this London side have the class to get past a SL side? I can see they are getting close but maybe not quite yet.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Hoping to go on Sunday.  Hoping Fev put up a better show than at the Big Bash, where they displayed their usual Blackpool ineptitude.  Any clues on best way to get there from Kings X?

Bit of a slog but I'd say...

Circle/Hammersmith & City Line round to Paddington. Then train from there to Ealing, then bus to the ground. On a Sunday I imagine that'd take over an hour.

I'm planning on heading there for the first time this season too; a similarly daft journey in terms of transport changes, etc. Hope it is worth it!

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley

20 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The problem being, if we're promoted where do we play? Trailfinders isn't near SL standard (and the RU side were told that they wouldn't be promoted for the same reason) and yet another ground move doesn't bear thinking about.

Barnet? 

This is why Ealing was always a dead end.

I think many people were ready to write London off a couple of years ago. I am so pleased they are back punching hard. They put in decent performances last year and it may only take one win against SL opposition in the middle 8s to get to sudden death. Whether they get up this year or not their resurgence is very welcome to the game here.

7 people like this

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Are there any actual rules any longer where the condition/spec of your stadia can prevent a club playing at SL level?  You had Leeds down there in the eights last year and that looked to go okay.  Maybe you can just switch the odd game or two.  In the main it's not going to cause an issue with the vast majority of SL clubs travelling in low numbers as it is.

Whatever happens and wherever they play RL needs a top flight London club so I hope you go up.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Bomb Jack said:

I thought it was minimum 10,000 capacity with 6,000 under cover?

Parky will be on here shortly to give you Ian Lenegan's view on this.

Edited by Scubby
5 people like this

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Why is this a 'problem'? It is a problem a lot of clubs would like to have I think. Perhaps a clue to this is looking at the sort of attendances that we were getting the last time that we were in the SL? 

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

As long as it is as good as Belle Vue you should be OK.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Bomb Jack said:

ummm... Wakefield? Neither the current ground, nor the one they are supposed to be playing at in 2018 fulfil those criteria

4 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Bit of a slog but I'd say...

Circle/Hammersmith & City Line round to Paddington. Then train from there to Ealing, then bus to the ground. On a Sunday I imagine that'd take over an hour.

I'm planning on heading there for the first time this season too; a similarly daft journey in terms of transport changes, etc. Hope it is worth it!

I would probably take the Victoria line to Oxford Circus and then change for the Central Line to Ealing Broadway.  Then one of the many buses to Scotch Common. It will take over an hour but not as difficult a trip as is sometimes made out.

2 people like this

Anybody can give an up-date on the RFL meeting held yesterday at Hemel to discuss the way forward for the Community game in London and SE?

Edited by audois

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Kings X to Holborn, Holborn to Ealing Broadway on the Central Line and then get a cab from across the road which is only a few quid.

Really easy.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Kings X to Holborn, Holborn to Ealing Broadway on the Central Line and then get a cab from across the road which is only a few quid.

Really easy.

tA

6 hours ago, Bomb Jack said:

They were the pre-licensing standards that our teams had to meet to get promoted (but were never applied to incumbents like Wakey). They then became criteria under licensing, but not requirements, thus again helping incumbents like Wakey.

Currently there are no SL standards as far as I'm aware

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I would initially suggest alternating between Trailfinders (for smaller games) and Brentford. Is Fulham still a no go?

7 hours ago, Konkrete said:

Are there any actual rules any longer where the condition/spec of your stadia can prevent a club playing at SL level?  You had Leeds down there in the eights last year and that looked to go okay.  Maybe you can just switch the odd game or two.  In the main it's not going to cause an issue with the vast majority of SL clubs travelling in low numbers as it is.

Whatever happens and wherever they play RL needs a top flight London club so I hope you go up.

I don't know why you think the game needs a top flight club in London. They brought nothing to the table last time

11 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I don't know why you think the game needs a top flight club in London. They brought nothing to the table last time

LMS, Clubb, Sarginson, Caton-Brown, McMeeken...

4 people like this

57 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

I would initially suggest alternating between Trailfinders (for smaller games) and Brentford. Is Fulham still a no go?

Which looks best for the armchair viewer 😉

Good team.

Not sure where the dark horses comes from.

They finished 2nd last year, and good value for it.

This year top 4 all season, 2nd favourites once Ford got injured.

Good players well coached.