Sign in to follow this  
Marauder

24/6/2017 Which game this weekend

I'm attending an army reunion in Newcastle this coming weekend and if I'm in a state to allow me to drive I'll be attending Wallsend Eagles v Cramlington Rockets, may even ask if Wallsend want a pre-season friendly against us.

• Like 1

at the moment I am looking at Hindpool. They suffer with no shows but the visitors are at the top of the table so should attend. There is no twitter or facebook that I can see to confirm but hopefully can find a phone number and if not will be there in time to rush to Askam

Must admit If game definitely on would would quite like to go to North East, wither Wallsend or maybe Catterick. the weather seems right for a long trip

I usually change my mind night however  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, groundhopper said:

at the moment I am looking at Hindpool. They suffer with no shows but the visitors are at the top of the table so should attend. There is no twitter or facebook that I can see to confirm but hopefully can find a phone number and if not will be there in time to rush to Askam

Must admit If game definitely on would would quite like to go to North East, wither Wallsend or maybe Catterick. the weather seems right for a long trip

I usually change my mind night however  

Wallsend are top with Cramlington 2nd

Thanks for the link which I do use

The problem is it is at best out of date, often does not give a phone number etc

It is worse away from the Yorkshire and North West Leagues

Just as an example Bentley are still at Wheatley Hills and Queensbury address is the bar they use or used to use but they are now playing at Halifax RU I understand

Many of the website links do not work or are three years out of date

Hindpool game is a 2.45pm kick off. Both sides had good wins against Premier Division sides last week. Can only speak for the Hindpool match and it was a cracker so hopefully a good game in prospect. If you want to check with me at any point my number is 07734451756 

I'm tempted by Clock Face Miners .v. Oldham St. Annes as I have not watched a game there for many years. I did go 2 weeks ago for the Rylands game, only to be told it had been played on Friday night. Very disappointing as it was still on the NCL website as Saturday when I went to work Friday night. When I got home from work at 6.15am Saturday morning I checked the Friday night results to update my league tables and it was not there. I assumed it was still Saturday. Hope they still produce match programmes as I collect them and there was none at Rylands last week. Apparently some guy from Weymouth had been told on the phone that there would be one and travelled all that way. Pilkingtons .v. Skirlaugh might be a better alternative this week but I shall see how I fell Saturday morning.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, groundhopper said:

Thanks for the link which I do use

The problem is it is at best out of date, often does not give a phone number etc

It is worse away from the Yorkshire and North West Leagues

Just as an example Bentley are still at Wheatley Hills and Queensbury address is the bar they use or used to use but they are now playing at Halifax RU I understand

Many of the website links do not work or are three years out of date

RFL have taken full control of all the websites, why I haven't a clue but if you control the media you control the sky and dominate.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, shawy13 said:

Hindpool game is a 2.45pm kick off. Both sides had good wins against Premier Division sides last week. Can only speak for the Hindpool match and it was a cracker so hopefully a good game in prospect. If you want to check with me at any point my number is 07734451756 

Thanks for the posting

knowing the game is on is great. if there is a problem, please post on here

Are you a player or watching ?

Boothtown Masters V Teeside Masters for me, being played Sunday at Dewsbury's ground.

Should be a good game, Teeside have a few Yorkshire players guesting for them.

Mayfield v Myton, surprising result especially at 22-0 to Mayfield, Myton found belief and energy from somewhere and held on in a tense last 5 minutes 

I must also add I have read reports of Bully boy tactics from Mayfield but this game was played as it should be with nothing out the ordinary 

Enjoyed the game between Wallsend and Cramlington, both teams played open rugby going from end to end

Was nice to visit a friend who I've not seen for 7 years for a cuppa before the game (His garden backed onto the sports ground)

• Like 1

On 22 June 2017 at 4:17 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

I'm tempted by Clock Face Miners .v. Oldham St. Annes as I have not watched a game there for many years. I did go 2 weeks ago for the Rylands game, only to be told it had been played on Friday night. Very disappointing as it was still on the NCL website as Saturday when I went to work Friday night. When I got home from work at 6.15am Saturday morning I checked the Friday night results to update my league tables and it was not there. I assumed it was still Saturday. Hope they still produce match programmes as I collect them and there was none at Rylands last week. Apparently some guy from Weymouth had been told on the phone that there would be one and travelled all that way. Pilkingtons .v. Skirlaugh might be a better alternative this week but I shall see how I fell Saturday morning.

Clock Face Miners are, indeed, issuing programmes this season. Rather good, too!

Rylands Sharks did a pretty decent one when I watched them earlier this season. That said, I've heard from others who've visited Arnold Clark Park and there hasn't been a programme.

Most recent game for me was Glasson Rangers versus Hensingham (10-52). Hensingham, unbeaten in 2017, looked a very good side - up to NCL standard. Glasson, on the other hand, were abysmal. No programme issued.

Cumbria League issuers I know of this season are Distington and Ellenborough Rangers. Hoping to get to both in the coming weeks.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Cricket this afternoon. Had intended to watch Seaton Rangers versus Distington (Cumbria League) but the hosts cannot raise a team. Second time this has happened to me inside a month. Walney Central the previous culprits. Is this league a bit Mickey Mouse? At least cricket clubs can be relied upon to get an XI on the field! Does amateur rugby league really want to be a summer sport?

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Does amateur rugby league really want to be a summer sport?

IMO a massive mistake has not done any of "Increase Participation, spectators, revenue, new teams, expansion, you will have that many players you won't know what to do with them" all these call offs and we are only just entering the holiday season, 30% of the original YML fixtures PP, shame really but I wonder if the game can recover?

8 hours ago, Defender1 said:

IMO a massive mistake has not done any of "Increase Participation, spectators, revenue, new teams, expansion, you will have that many players you won't know what to do with them" all these call offs and we are only just entering the holiday season, 30% of the original YML fixtures PP, shame really but I wonder if the game can recover?

It can recover but not as a summer sport at amateur level, I'm also not sure if  BARLA have the imagination or freedom to develop new concepts that could/would do the do either..

To much energy given to the top and very little on getting the least gifted and none athletic lads and lasses playing in a level they would be comfortable in, the lower division in the Pennine now have teams that are equivalent to the YML Premier and first division simply because they are bolstered by NCL & YML players who want to play all year round, this is really taking away the chance for the least gifted players

I went to Moldgreen today. Arriving straight from working locally, it was initially assumed I was the referee.

Whilst they are playing at a much lower level than in the past, there are many positive things to be said, especially that they had a very young team and looking at the lack of cars in the car park, I would assume most live within walking distance

It would be nice to see them move up from the merit table if these players come through but I am told professional clubs are sniffing around a few, which is nice if they can make it but not if they are just being used to make up for the lack of effort at junior level but the bigger clubs

Again had to take a chance on the game being on as no updates anywhere but little choice as Bramley and Queensbury both had opponents scratching in the week and this was only arranged after Greetland had to cancel home fixture with Worth Village. I think all other merit table games were off 

Watched Yorkshire League Premier Division leaders Siddal Academy beat Beverley 42-18 this afternoon. The Halifax-based visitors looked as classy as their NCL XIII. All over at half-time, when Siddal led 24-0. Try count finished 3-7. Unusually, every try was converted. Beverley made a decent fist of it in the second half. Shame they started so slowly. Crowd of about 150 spectating at the East Riding Leisure Centre.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Went and watched Swindon St George play at Oxford Cavaliers. Despite the 8-54 scoreline to St George, it wasn't an easy win. It was even-ish. Our defence was just great! Guaranteed top spot in our Pool (with two games to go) and home advantage in the playoffs, probably against Forest Bulldogs. 

• Like 1

Over at Halifax this afternoon for a top-of-the-table clash in Yorkshire League, Division Three. Boothtown Terriers moved to within two points of leaders Allerton Bywater by beating the Bulldogs 32-12. Tight game until the 70th minute. Terriers scored two late tries, the second from the game's last play, to claim a deserved win. Both tries 75-metre solo dashes. 18-12 to the hosts at half-time. Looked a much, much better standard of rugby league than level 11 in the pyramid. Crowd of 96 (plus four on the wall in front of the New Prospect Inn) watched an absorbing encounter.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Watched Swindon St George 2nds get their first ever win yesterday when they beat Forest Bulldogs 52-42. ? 

The next game I'm able to get to will be the West of England Grand Final (and Plate) on 12th August. Hopefully Swindon St George will be represented in both games.