Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

24-25 Jun: The Kingstone Press League 1 Match Thread

Discuss all this week's Kingstone Press League 1 games here.

SATURDAY 24th JUNE
London Skolars v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
Toronto Wolfpack v Hunslet    12 midnight (UK Time)

SUNDAY 25TH JUNE 2017
Coventry Bears v Workington Town KO 3pm
Gloucestershire All Golds v Oxford KO 3pm
Keighley Cougars v York City Knights KO 3pm
Newcastle Thunder v Hemel Stags KO 3pm
North Wales Crusaders v South Wales Ironmen KO 2.30pm
Whitehaven v Doncaster KO 3pm

Pick of the games has to be Whitehaven V Doncaster, Whitehaven are going well - I didn't expect them to get a win at York so would expect them to have a little too much for Doncaster at home. Whitehaven by 12

• Like 1

Barrow, Toronto, Workington, tossup on Gloc vs Oxford, Keighley, Newcastle, North Wales, Whitehaven

I think Keighley can beat York City, more potent offense.  

OUT NOW: The League 1 Show

The unofficial podcast dedicated to League 1 returns this week as we look back at all the results from Round 11 of the League 1 campaign.

In this week's show we hear the post match views from Whitehaven, York City Knights, Keighley Cougars, and All Golds, as well as hear from the new Head Coach at Doncaster Richard Horne.

On this week's show, Ben was also joined by BBC Radio Cumbria's John Gibson, by All Golds's Patrick Baines and by Calon FM's Conrad Anderson.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6040608-the-league-1-show-21st-june-2017

• Like 1

North Wales Crusaders are fielding 3 teams at Queensway. Before the League 1 game there are games featuring the u-9s and u-18s So if you fancya full day of rugby league you know where to go.

There is also a Premier Division Wheelchair Rugby League game on - North Wales Crusaders v Leeds Rhinos. This is being played at Deeside Leisure Centre, Queensferry CH5 1SA from 10:45. Free entry. All Welcome

There is also a hospitality deal in our marquee if you want food. Its highly recommended - the food is prepared by the team from the Fat Boar so it is great quality... and local beers by Wrexham Lager, Big Hand Brewery bitter and the famous mind-numbing Brymbo Heritage Cider.

• Like 5

SATURDAY 24th JUNE
London Skolars 16-38  Barrow Raiders 
Toronto Wolfpack 58-10 Hunslet    

SUNDAY 25TH JUNE 2017
Coventry Bears 14-38 Workington Town
Gloucestershire All Golds 30-22 Oxford 
Keighley Cougars 20-34 York City Knights 
Newcastle Thunder 52-10 Hemel Stags 
North Wales Crusaders 38-18 South Wales Ironmen 
Whitehaven 26-16 Doncaster 

Just now, gogledd said:

North Wales Crusaders are fielding 3 teams at Queensway. Before the League 1 game there are games featuring the u-9s and u-18s So if you fancya full day of rugby league you know where to go.

There is also a Premier Division Wheelchair Rugby League game on - North Wales Crusaders v Leeds Rhinos. This is being played at Deeside Leisure Centre, Queensferry CH5 1SA from 10:45. Free entry. All Welcome

There is also a hospitality deal in our marquee if you want food. Its highly recommended - the food is prepared by the team from the Fat Boar so it is great quality... and local beers by Wrexham Lager, Big Hand Brewery bitter and the famous mind-numbing Brymbo Heritage Cider.

Sounds good...wish I could just transport my self over there..tasty!

Just now, Kayakman said:

Sounds good...wish I could just transport my self over there..tasty!

You've got a Kayak! 

Head down the St Lawrence, turn right.

Treat Ireland as a roundabout ( you can turn left as you would in the UK or right as you would in Canada no one will mind)

Head up the River Dee past Chester and branch off up the River Clywedog. It's that easy.

I think you are looking for an excuse not to travel..... You wimp!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Bearman said:

You've got a Kayak! 

Head down the St Lawrence, turn right.

Treat Ireland as a roundabout ( you can turn left as you would in the UK or right as you would in Canada no one will mind)

Head up the River Dee past Chester and branch off up the River Clywedog. It's that easy.

I think you are looking for an excuse not to travel..... You wimp!!!!

I'm going to make it...going to make it!...getting there...just keep going... just keep paddling...near Ireland now....

DELAY!  DELAY!  

Kayakman to Coast Guard:  PAN, PAN, PAN!

Stuck at the Brazenhead quaffing beers with a whole group of rowdies from Hunslet...haven't seen a crowd like this since 'Da Bears' hit town.

Get that packet yet you big old grumpy Bear??

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm going to make it...going to make it!...getting there...just keep going... just keep paddling...near Ireland now....

DELAY!  DELAY!  

Kayakman to Coast Guard:  PAN, PAN, PAN!

Stuck at the Brazenhead quaffing beers with a whole group of rowdies from Hunslet...haven't seen a crowd like this since 'Da Bears' hit town.

Get that packet yet you big old grumpy Bear??

Nope, You sure you didnt leave it in your hotel room again?

You can be sure that the third thing I will do is let you know when it has arrived.

(First drink it, second sober up, third tell you I received it "hic")

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Nope, You sure you didnt leave it in your hotel room again?

You can be sure that the third thing I will do is let you know when it has arrived.

(First drink it, second sober up, third tell you I received it "hic")

Drink it slowly and savour it...don't guzzle it getting ready for some long hibernation....and share some with Momma Bear and the Cubs!..

OK game at Skolars in hot (and breezy) conditions, with Barrow winning 10-20. Two tries each, with all the second half points being penalties for Barrow.

I don't understand what happened at the end of the first half. Skolars appeared to score a fair try but it was not awarded and the referee took both teams off the pitch. I didn't hear the hooter go and in any case, 40 minutes had not been played. Anybody shed any light on the explanation?

1 hour ago, JonM said:

OK game at Skolars in hot (and breezy) conditions, with Barrow winning 10-20. Two tries each, with all the second half points being penalties for Barrow.

I don't understand what happened at the end of the first half. Skolars appeared to score a fair try but it was not awarded and the referee took both teams off the pitch. I didn't hear the hooter go and in any case, 40 minutes had not been played. Anybody shed any light on the explanation?

No idea but also why were there no changing rooms available to Barrow at half time ? 

27 minutes ago, Derwent said:

No idea but also why were there no changing rooms available to Barrow at half time ? 

What ..... it didnt mention that on the commentary?

7 minutes ago, morty said:

What ..... it didnt mention that on the commentary?

Just going by what's on social media, pictures of Barrow players getting medical treatment behind a fence and players having to pee in the bushes. Several people saying it's because they couldn't use the changing rooms due to another sports team using them ?

if that is true there should be massive fines for failing to ensure players welfare

• Like 1

As someone who was at the game (unusually for this thread) I am wondering what all the fuss is about.

Poor old Barrow only beat the Southerners by 6 and its all down to a lack of a a changing room at half time,

because Im sure thats what is being implied here,

Skolars stayed out and managed. Im sure if a toilet was needed it would have been available,.

Its not ideal but is it really the end of the world.

As excuses go that is pathetic.

We clearly didnt roll over as some expected,

Edited by Spicer

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Just going by what's on social media, pictures of Barrow players getting medical treatment behind a fence and players having to pee in the bushes. Several people saying it's because they couldn't use the changing rooms due to another sports team using them ?

It was quite shocking. There was no excuse, I say stop Skolars funding and give it to Workington.

Social media eh How about they throw all the Southern teams out and look after the heartlands,

You know all those  clubs that will command no interest at all from the broadcasters and sponsors 

Edited by Spicer

5 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Was there a time keeper at the game?

No, there were two, one from each team and neither said 40 minutes had been reached.

Second half took 55 minutes to complete.

36 minutes ago, Spicer said:

It was quite shocking. There was no excuse, I say stop Skolars funding and give it to Workington.

Social media eh How about they throw all the Southern teams out and look after the heartlands,

You know all those  clubs that will command no interest at all from the broadcasters and sponsors 

Wow bloody hell mr defensive .... nobody mentioned it was the reason for the close score (only you!!!!). Its player welfare concerns that people are on about...after all its a semi professional sport isnt it ? Proper changing facitities should be a prioity no more no less .... most amateur teams have this facility so not to be able to organise a 1/2 time changing room is very very poor so dont throw the teddy out the pram at Skolars deficiencies.

Well played to the Skolars today i for one didnt expect such a close game. Good luck getting into the top 8!!

Oh and by the way it was 10 points not 6 ;-)

Edited by morty
  • Like 1