Thurston

"But the medical advice I've been given is that if I wanted to live a normal life after football, then I had to have the surgery."

That's the most important point for me. Much as I love watching him I don't want him to spend the rest of his life disabled or in constant pain. AUS needed to groom a replacement anyway and, at this stage, I would say it's Maloney. I think his consistency over the last 2 seasons puts him ahead of anyone else.

It's always sad to see an end to a career for whatever reason and injury curtailing events are too common and amongst the saddest. I would have liked to see him go out on a high (though I'd prefer it if England took the WC) but would rather everyone left our sport in the best of condition and health.  

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

This is sad news.  What a great player and leader. Queensland would not have won this week without him. He wasn't really ready to come back from injury I would think but took the risk for the Jersey. SOO is huge in Oz....

I wonder if he will play any RL in 2018 or if this is it? 

JT is a great and I hope he can come back in 2018 and finish his career on a high the way he would like.

I met him once a couple of years ago and he was just getting Lunch, he stopped and posed for every kid that wanted a selfie without missing a beat, that stuff must get tired after awhile but you would not know it with JT.

Either way I hope him all the best, great Player and good bloke.

I would have loved to see the 2017 WC with all of the best players from every Nation but sadly that will never be the case.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Absolute legend of the game.  Fantastic role model on and off the pitch.

This is a real shame - deserved to go out on a high (losing the World Cup final to England)

One of my all time favourite players

If he retires now then we need to sign him up to coach our half backs for the England team.  If he is going to play next year he deserves to take the Cowboys to another title. 

Confirmed as out of the World Cup

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/21659/10924680/johnathan-thurston-ruled-of-rugby-league-world-cup-due-to-injury

Disappointing, I loved seeing him at the last World Cup and will be a big loss to this year's tournament.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Terrible news for him to miss a world cup in his home country. England's chances just increased slightly though. 

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Love watching him play, he may not carry out the spectacular individual plays as regularly as an Andrew Johns or a Wally Lewis but the way he marshals a team around the field is probably better than anyone I've ever seen - he's not 2 or 3 plays ahead of everyone else, he's 2 or 3 sets of 6 ahead

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

15 hours ago, Farmduck said:

AUS needed to groom a replacement anyway and, at this stage, I would say it's Maloney. I think his consistency over the last 2 seasons puts him ahead of anyone else.

Maloney is 31. He is OK for now but not one Aus can build a team around for the future.

Gutted for JT as for me the best ever nr 7. The way him and Cronk have Been so good and consistant for Qld and Australia has been a pleasure to watch. JT is not just a world class player but a great Person who is very down to earth.

Yep big shame. You see how every NRL kicker now picks up the kicking tee and gives it back to the kids who bring it out. He started that. Just a small thing I know but it shows that a NRL footballer who is considered one of the best ever isn't too big to walk over pick up a tee so the kid doesn't have too. Not to mention he hands his headgear to fan after every game. I'm sure he will play again in 2018 for the cowboys but he will be missed for Queensland and Australia.

40 minutes ago, B rad said:

Yep big shame. You see how every NRL kicker now picks up the kicking tee and gives it back to the kids who bring it out. He started that. Just a small thing I know but it shows that a NRL footballer who is considered one of the best ever isn't too big to walk over pick up a tee so the kid doesn't have too. Not to mention he hands his headgear to fan after every game. I'm sure he will play again in 2018 for the cowboys but he will be missed for Queensland and Australia.

You're so right . I always notice that with kickers , and the ones who now and again don't bother . It's a nice touch 

On 2017-6-23 at 9:12 PM, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Maloney is 31. He is OK for now but not one Aus can build a team around for the future..

What on earth has the future got to do with it, International recognition should be given to the players in form, always no exception and especially in a WC year, what do you expect them to do throw an aspiring 19 year old in who has got great prospects?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, B rad said:

Not only that, I believe it's usually a young fan of the opposition

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Not only that, I believe it's usually a young fan of the opposition

It does make you wonder how many impressionable kiddies he's converted to the Cowboys' cause. :wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

What on earth has the future got to do with it, International recognition should be given to the players in form, always no exception and especially in a WC year, what do you expect them to do throw an aspiring 19 year old in who has got great prospects?

Maloney is OK but he is no Thurston or Cronk and has awful discipline. He likely has 2 maybe 3 years at best. Maloney will get picked and likely be take Thurston place. But personally I would have him as a Reserve half.

I would go for Cam Munster. He is in Form and Consistant and plays 6 as well as 1 and knows how the key players in the Roos work. He is somebody for now and the future. He is in the Queensland Setup and works daily with Cronk, Smith and Slater- part of the spine of the Kangeroos in the World cup. I would Partner him with Cronk at the WC.

7 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Maloney is OK but he is no Thurston or Cronk and has awful discipline. He likely has 2 maybe 3 years at best. Maloney will get picked and likely be take Thurston place. But personally I would have him as a Reserve half.

I would go for Cam Munster. He is in Form and Consistant and plays 6 as well as 1 and knows how the key players in the Roos work. He is somebody for now and the future. He is in the Queensland Setup and works daily with Cronk, Smith and Slater- part of the spine of the Kangeroos in the World cup. I would Partner him with Cronk at the WC.

A little different statement than your first on LRL, but it has never sat very well with me that players who have performed so very very well throughout the season get overlooked for someone so called more experienced or one for the future. Do not all players want to and strive to play for their country, I should think so, and when they at that point in time they proove to be the best they should be recognised for it.

The only time I would go against that is if after numerous call ups and dissapointing displays that person was to proove that the step up was beyond them irrespective of their form at league level.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

10 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Would they consider Mitchell Pearce if his form continued , and juggle it with Cronk . Basically thurston and cronk are both sevens who fit into slots alongside each other . Their skills would complement each other ? Plenty of options I guess

Archived