Storm v Roosters gets over 20,000 in Adelaide

8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Great turn out from the Adelaide public. An indication that an NRL club would be successful there. Are there any plans to take this further? 

Don't think so unfortunately. Not to sure if expansion in the NRL will be happening anytime soon and even if it was Adelaide would be well behind the likes of Perth, brisbane2 and NZ2 for a franchise.

Like you say it was a great turnout by the Adelaide public.

1 hour ago, walter sobchak said:

Don't think so unfortunately. Not to sure if expansion in the NRL will be happening anytime soon and even if it was Adelaide would be well behind the likes of Perth, brisbane2 and NZ2 for a franchise.

Like you say it was a great turnout by the Adelaide public.

Despite the bigging up of the NRL by Australians the fact is though they lack ambition when it comes to expanding the NRL competition

Really great turnout and a good game aswell. As for expansion the NRL are waiting for the Knights and Titans to sell (owned by the NRL) and then they will look at expansion but still no guarantee it will happen anytime soon. When it does Perth will be first as they have a very solid junior setup and Brisbane 2 who have needed a second team for a while now. NZ 2 and the Central Coast are both probably ahead of Adelaide at this stage as Adelaide lacks much of a junior setup. I think the Roosters have committed to taking games to Adleiade over a number of years 

God knows why it was played at the Adelaide oval,it's massive these days,selling out Adelaides rectangular stadium,hindmarsh,which olds 18k,looks far better than having 20k rattling around in a 55k stadium..

They have delusions of grandeur down in the NRL, there's only the broncos that warrant playing in a stadium bigger than 25-30k

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

5 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

God knows why it was played at the Adelaide oval,it's massive these days,selling out Adelaides rectangular stadium,hindmarsh,which olds 18k,looks far better than having 20k rattling around in a 55k stadium..

They have delusions of grandeur down in the NRL, there's only the broncos that warrant playing in a stadium bigger than 25-30k

Broncos attract great crowds when there winning ( that's most of the time) not so great when there loosing though like all fan bases.

Souths, Parramatta and to a certain extent the Bulldogs & St merge attract the same numbers as Brisbane when they have successful sides. I've attended Souths v Easts regular season game with 55,000 along with numerous Souths  v Bulldogs games with over 40,000 crowds, Should we just turn 10-20 thousand away at future blockbuster matches?

Adelaide great crowd for a one off game but history shows that crowds would taper off.

When the game was expanding in the 1990's before super league they played one off games at the Adelaide Oval:

1991 - 28,884 St.George v Balmain

1992 - 18,892 St.George v Brisbane

1993 - 20,246 St.George v Canberra

1994 - 12,874 St.George v Wests

1995 - 8,987 St.George v Newcastle

Best thing for Adelaide would be to develop an under 20 team to play in major comp or NSW cup

Also for the Storm to play in Adelaide and Tasmania like AFL teams do with Hobart and Launceston.

AFL is stronger now in Adelaide as they have two teams there soaking up the media attention and corporate dollars. The AFL was smart when league was squabbling over super league strengthening Adelaide by entering Port Adelaide in 1997 and Fremantle in 1995. They shifted champion goalkicker to Sydney which turned the Swans around whilst the average fan got sick of league imploding.

If the NRL wants to expand for the good of the game rather than for $$$ and to appease dreamers then this is what should happen.

*Shift Easts to Dubbo/Orange (Central west NSW) owned and operated by the NRL if uncle Nick objects and wont bank roll the "Western Roosters".

* PNG is a must just make it happen

* 2nd Brisbane team

* South Island NZ club

These four additions would benefit the game no end, There all areas that would produce large numbers of players and attract big crowds from the get go, Ready made markets.

9 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

If the NRL wants to expand for the good of the game rather than for $$$ and to appease dreamers then this is what should happen.

*Shift Easts to Dubbo/Orange (Central west NSW) owned and operated by the NRL if uncle Nick objects and wont bank roll the "Western Roosters".

* 2nd Brisbane team

* South Island NZ club

These four additions would benefit the game no end, There all areas that would produce large numbers of players and attract big crowds from the get go, Ready made markets.

I agree but for some reason it isn't likely to happen. I wrote this about it in my blog:

http://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/2017/05/the-australian-nrl-rabbit-caught-in.html

I hadn't thought of inland NSW.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

* 2nd Brisbane team

* South Island NZ club

I like the idea of Brisbane2 and NZ2. I would go for the Christchurch bulls and revert the NZ Warriors back to the Auckland Warriors. I'd also relocate the sea eagles from manly to the central coast.

If we are dreaming and just throwing ideas out there I'd also move st. George/Illawarra Dragons to Wollongong fulltime. In fact I'd demerge the st George/Illawarra Dragons  and just have the Illawarra Steelers playing out of Wollongong and merge the dragons with the Sharks and have the st. George Sutherland sharks. They could play out of the revamped shark park or whatever it's called now.

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I believe Sydney clubs need to get back to playing Sat and Sun afternoon and also to develop decent 20-25,000 seat stadiums for each club. 

Sadly the TV deal won't allow this.

5 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I like the idea of Brisbane2 and NZ2. I would go for the Christchurch bulls and revert the NZ Warriors back to the Auckland Warriors. I'd also relocate the sea eagles from manly to the central coast.

If we are dreaming and just throwing ideas out there I'd also move st. George/Illawarra Dragons to Wollongong fulltime. In fact I'd demerge the st George/Illawarra Dragons  and just have the Illawarra Steelers playing out of Wollongong and merge the dragons with the Sharks and have the st. George Sutherland sharks. They could play out of the revamped shark park or whatever it's called now.

Love it!!!

2 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Love it!!!

Thanks. For me it's sensible and not to over the top expansion/relocating although I would love to see Perth given a franchise. Maybe a Sydney team could relocate there like the roosters or the west tigers but that would be massive and no doubt face stiff resistance from both sets of fans. For me and I could be wrong but the roosters don't seem to have a large fanbase despite all of the money/glamour/big names and the west tigers I believe are struggling financially.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I agree but for some reason it isn't likely to happen. I wrote this about it in my blog:

http://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/2017/05/the-australian-nrl-rabbit-caught-in.html

I hadn't thought of inland NSW.

If the NRL believe the GC are worth persisting with after 4-5 failed franchises (I've lost count) then they should fund a Western NSW club 100% if necessary, The central west & outback regions are full of raw boned Caucasian kids from the same mould as the Les's Boyd & Davidson etc etc and most importantly the Indigenous population who are the life blood of RL, Add to this the vast area is full of working class people who love the game.    

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Thanks. For me it's sensible and not to over the top expansion/relocating although I would love to see Perth given a franchise. Maybe a Sydney team could relocate there like the roosters or the west tigers but that would be massive and no doubt face stiff resistance from both sets of fans. For me and I could be wrong but the roosters don't seem to have a large fanbase despite all of the money/glamour/big names and the west tigers I believe are struggling financially.

I agree, The Sydney market should consist of Souths, Parramatta, penrith & The Dogs with Newcastle & Illawarra having teams on the outskirts.

The Roosters 2013 side that won the comp was the best side I've seen in my life time watching the game yet they only attracted 18,000 average attendances, Put that same squad in red and green, yellow and blue or blue and white and you would more than double those figures.

I think the reason the NRL don't want to expand is because they don't want to pay any more funding to extra clubs. Don't get me wrong I'm all for expansion. Its been far to long since they added a new team and are been left behind by every other sport just about in covering the nation.

I'm not sure how much money it takes to run the NSW/Queensland cup competition or clubs (obviously much cheaper then NRL clubs) but maybe they could look at adding more feeder competitions with club affiliations. A NRL Western comp with the affiliated states with teams from West Australia, Northern Territory, Alidade, Victoria possibly Tasmania and a few from South Africa.

South Africa has a few league teams, just had 2 super rugby clubs close and are starting racial quotas meaning there is ALOT of professional rugby players with out jobs. Its the perfect time to expand into that country. Been an Australian competition means the Union officials in that country cant meddle in their affairs so much putting up walls to stop things happening.

8 clubs, playing each other 3 times, 21 rounds.

Similar thing could be done with the pacific with Fiji,  PNG, Tonga, Samoa, USA out of Hawaii and New Zealand with an NRL Pacific competition.

Again though it comes down to money which unfortunately there isn't enough of. 

1 hour ago, B rad said:

I think the reason the NRL don't want to expand is because they don't want to pay any more funding to extra clubs. Don't get me wrong I'm all for expansion. Its been far to long since they added a new team and are been left behind by every other sport just about in covering the nation.

I'm not sure how much money it takes to run the NSW/Queensland cup competition or clubs (obviously much cheaper then NRL clubs) but maybe they could look at adding more feeder competitions with club affiliations. A NRL Western comp with the affiliated states with teams from West Australia, Northern Territory, Alidade, Victoria possibly Tasmania and a few from South Africa.

South Africa has a few league teams, just had 2 super rugby clubs close and are starting racial quotas meaning there is ALOT of professional rugby players with out jobs. Its the perfect time to expand into that country. Been an Australian competition means the Union officials in that country cant meddle in their affairs so much putting up walls to stop things happening.

8 clubs, playing each other 3 times, 21 rounds.

Similar thing could be done with the pacific with Fiji,  PNG, Tonga, Samoa, USA out of Hawaii and New Zealand with an NRL Pacific competition.

Again though it comes down to money which unfortunately there isn't enough of. 

Like the idea of a NSW/Queensland cup style western comp with teams from Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart, South Africa and maybe even NZ. I'd also love to see a South African u20's side compete in the Holden cup. This would/could be huge for RL in South Africa.

16 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Perhaps, but if they had played it at Hindmarsh, they would have been lucky to get 10K.

From a transport / accessibility perspective, Adelaide Oval is very easy to get to, Hindmarsh, not as much.

Considering as well the match was funded by the SA Government, and they are keen to secure an Origin game, they of course would want the venue they just spent millions on upgrading being the one used for the NRL game.

Just for a bit of RL crowd history, the largest crowd any NRL / SL team has drawn at Hindmarsh is just 8,547 (6 games played there total).

The average is 7,476. Compare this with Adelaide Oval, where Saturday's crowd was the third largest (28,884 is the record) and the average after 24 games is over 13,500.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

11 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

If the NRL believe the GC are worth persisting with after 4-5 failed franchises (I've lost count) then they should fund a Western NSW club 100% if necessary, The central west & outback regions are full of raw boned Caucasian kids from the same mould as the Les's Boyd & Davidson etc etc and most importantly the Indigenous population who are the life blood of RL, Add to this the vast area is full of working class people who love the game.    

The NRL will persist with the Titans until a new owner is found. 

They will not let the afl have a free kick on the GC

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The NRL will persist with the Titans until a new owner is found. 

They will not let the afl have a free kick on the GC

Weren't the people behind the central coast(norths) bears bid supposed to be interested??

Archived