Sign in to follow this  
TMF

Saturday v Sunday

Recommended Posts

TMF    118

As this site is getting quieter by the week, i would like to bring it to life, maybe. No matter what we have done this season, with the number of games played and injuries gathered, we still remain unbeaten only once. Yet we still can't crack the 1000 mark at home games. Why? The last home game, on a beautiful Saturday night saw an attendance of just 830. I know the Board and Pete Murph are trying all they can to increase attendances and my hat comes off to them but, are Saturday nights the answer or would we better off with Sundays? It's an old chestnut i know, and it doesn't bother me because i'll be at CP if it was 10.00pm kick off Wednesday night. However, is it Sat v Sun, or the opposition, or the officials, the stupid league program, or is a BQ  better? Please, we need answers or this historic club, and others, if they can't up attendances, will be going to the wall. If nobody replies to this post, then I really will start to worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
georgeb1    189
1 hour ago, TMF said:

As this site is getting quieter by the week, i would like to bring it to life, maybe. No matter what we have done this season, with the number of games played and injuries gathered, we still remain unbeaten only once. Yet we still can't crack the 1000 mark at home games. Why? The last home game, on a beautiful Saturday night saw an attendance of just 830. I know the Board and Pete Murph are trying all they can to increase attendances and my hat comes off to them but, are Saturday nights the answer or would we better off with Sundays? It's an old chestnut i know, and it doesn't bother me because i'll be at CP if it was 10.00pm kick off Wednesday night. However, is it Sat v Sun, or the opposition, or the officials, the stupid league program, or is a BQ  better? Please, we need answers or this historic club, and others, if they can't up attendances, will be going to the wall. If nobody replies to this post, then I really will start to worry.

I would like to see all league 1 matches 3.pm Sunday's.

Consistenty for home and away supporters I.m.o.would increase attendances .

You guys at barrow do deserve better support,if you are promoted what sort of attendance do you think you would realise

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bearman    2,034

From a personal point of view Saturdays with a 3pm kick would allow me to travel up by train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lifer    73

Saturday as it also gives the players some time off with their families etc on the Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael Ashton    103

I tend to agree all Championship games should start at 3.00pm on a Sunday but this is obviously not practical for non UK teams. I would go whenever the KO was other than 10pm on a Wednesday.

Todays gate was just short of 700 but it should be borne in mind that we are the best supported Ch1 Club apart from Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TMF    118

First of all, thanks for the replies and interest. Just got home from the game and the lowest attendance of the season. Maybe that makes my point. Interesting from georgeb1, who is a regular contributor to the RL forums, and I agree with everything he says. Especially the point he makes about what sort of attendance we would realise if we were promoted? He says we deserve better support.  Is that not brilliant from an opposing supporter? That's the family for you.

So, we deserve better support? of course we do. Thing is, where's it coming from? It opens all sorts of threads but again I think, brings it back to Sat v Sun.

I love Bearman and understand his personnel view but competing with 3.00pm PL KO's is a no brainer.

Lifer also hit it on the head as far as giving the lads time off with their families on Sunday and if I was a player, that's what I would want. Fact is, we play in a league where everybody plays on a Sunday. I don't know why? maybe another thread? Maybe georgeb1 could explain, lol.

Finally, Micheal Ashton, Another a great contributor to this, and other RL Forums, states 'It's not practical for non UK teams'. Mike, who are we, you, the RL,  supporting here? The new 'Expansionist Teams' or the heartbeat RL community?

I could go on and on and on. Please people, we need answers, contributions, ideas. Most of all, we need support, so bring a mate, your wife, your kids, anybodies kids, down to CP for the last game next SAT. God bless you and all who sail in you and thanks for reading this.

COYR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bearman    2,034
7 minutes ago, TMF said:

First of all, thanks for the replies and interest. Just got home from the game and the lowest attendance of the season. Maybe that makes my point. Interesting from georgeb1, who is a regular contributor to the RL forums, and I agree with everything he says. Especially the point he makes about what sort of attendance we would realise if we were promoted? He says we deserve better support.  Is that not brilliant from an opposing supporter? That's the family for you.

So, we deserve better support? of course we do. Thing is, where's it coming from? It opens all sorts of threads but again I think, brings it back to Sat v Sun.

I love Bearman and understand his personnel view but competing with 3.00pm PL KO's is a no brainer.

Lifer also hit it on the head as far as giving the lads time off with their families on Sunday and if I was a player, that's what I would want. Fact is, we play in a league where everybody plays on a Sunday. I don't know why? maybe another thread? Maybe georgeb1 could explain, lol.

Finally, Micheal Ashton, Another a great contributor to this, and other RL Forums, states 'It's not practical for non UK teams'. Mike, who are we, you, the RL,  supporting here? The new 'Expansionist Teams' or the heartbeat RL community?

I could go on and on and on. Please people, we need answers, contributions, ideas. Most of all, we need support, so bring a mate, your wife, your kids, anybodies kids, down to CP for the last game next SAT. God bless you and all who sail in you and thanks for reading this.

COYR

 

Sundays at 3 works for me as I can get the train.

The only reason I plumped for Saturdays is because with the Bears playing on Sundays it can clash. 

Of course I want my cake and be able to eat it?.

The answer for next season is get promoted and attract more speccies!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raiderrr    2

I think if we ended up reverting back to Sunday's the attendance wouldnt be any different at all or maybe even significantly less as shipyard workers work shifts until 6pm, hence the reason they wanted to change to Saturday evenings in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boat builder    39

At the end of the day it's about the revenue generated. I don't know the figures, but if 800 are spending on a Saturday evening  on a pint or two, food etc.more than a 1000 on a Sunday afternoon then that's the decision I guess.

Doesn't necessarily help the "home" atmosphere but makes fiscal sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
red square    28

The crowds won't increase on a Friday night, Saturday night or Sunday afternoon until we get out of this division. I know many former "never miss" supporters who refuse to pay £15 to watch the Raiders play teams we  should be trouncing. I have had to miss a couple of games myself this season as I have had other functions to go to - but I have to say it didn't grieve me as much as I thought it would. Going to the game can be very much a habit -  once you've decided you don't want to go to a couple of games because  of the quality of the opposition then there is a danger that you won't bother when a more appealing fixture comes along. We may be winning but (and I'm not saying they don't try!!) but lets be quite frank -  at times it isn't gripping stuff, last nights game being a case in point.

Answer - get out of the division, play attractive rugby  - then they'll come on Friday or Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bearman    2,034

The best way to help them get out of this division is to go to the matches in this division

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Penno    26

Personally I have found that Saturday evening has clashed with more things than Sunday does. Home matches this year that I have missed have been Hemel Stags, South Wales, Hunslet and North Wales all of which I would have made if they were on the Sunday.

Also it is as people have said above habit forming, Mrs Penno has said to me several times this year "are you at the rugby on Sunday".

Lower attendances could be down to other factors and the lack of travelling supporters certainly won't be helping or the quality of some of the opposition, then there is the state of the fixture list thanks to the RFL where it looks like we will end up visiting Toronto twice this year and potentially Whitehaven three times and neither of them visiting Craven Park for a match (other than the Whitehaven friendly).

The question is IF Saturday games are leading to lower attendances are the bar sales making up the shortfall?

 

Regards Penno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
morty    213

the fixture list fiasco just keeps rumbling on ... no wonder people get fed up and out of the habit of going to the matches!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael Ashton    103

Apart from Toronto we remain the best supported side in Ch1. Sorry this week Haven had 8 more than us. Interesting to note that Toronto gates are tending to fall but still 5646 this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spanishknight    210
2 hours ago, Michael Ashton said:

Apart from Toronto we remain the best supported side in Ch1. Sorry this week Haven had 8 more than us. Interesting to note that Toronto gates are tending to fall but still 5646 this week.

York's gates are on the up with a couple over1K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donald    119
3 hours ago, morty said:

the fixture list fiasco just keeps rumbling on ... no wonder people get fed up and out of the habit of going to the matches!!

Fixture list is way too unbalanced its gonna go to last game of season to see who finishes second and looking at fixtures weve had easier games playing all the better teams at home where as you lot have had to travel to keighley donny and us. Start of season the only away games that would trouble us was york and town away luckily we won them both . Might have egg on me chin if North Wales turn us over on Sun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday or Sunday at 14.00/15.00 or even back to the 14.30 Sunday slot...Saturday nights are impossible for the non driving/public transport dependents who enjoy a Saturday night out in Manchester...er...that's just me then.Just hoping   that the phase 2 fixtures move back to Sunday afternoon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TMF    118

Hi Mike, you are a star. Would love a comparison of Sat v Sun gates in a table if that's possible. To be credible, taking into account the new shift pattern in the yard, it would have to be over the last two seasons at least. Thanks beforehand for your efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TMF    118

Thanks Mike, I might have been asking too much. Be interesting to see the gates if it is Sunday. Then again the play offs should bring more interest. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 28th Aug 2017

Rugby League World - Sept 2017