Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Ashton

Attempt at Super 8s

25 posts in this topic

Although there are still 2 games to go I have made an attempt at woking out all Super 8 games. I'm sure if I am wrong somebody will tell me.

After having estimated the results of the final 2 games I calculate the top 8 to be.

1  Toronto

2  Whitehaven

3  Barrow

4  York

5  Newcastle

6  Doncaster

7  Keighley

8  Workington

On the assumption that these are correct I think the final fixtures will be:

Toronto home games against Whitehaven, Barrow, Newcastle, Doncaster

Whitehaven home games against Barrow,York,Doncaster,Keighley

Barrow home games against York, Newcastle, Keighley,Workington

York home games against Toronto, Newcastle, Doncaster, Workington

Newcastle home games against Whitehaven, Doncaster, Keighley

Doncaster home games against Barrow, Keighley, Workington.

Keighley home games against Toronto, York, Workington

Workington home games against Toronto, Whitehaven, Newcastle

It will be seen that the top 4 have 4 home games and 3 away and teams 5-8 have 3 home games and 4 away.

Each team plays 7 games and then the play offs begin. The points from the Super8s will be added to the existing league points and team 1 will play team 2 for immediate promotion. The loser will join the other teams for play off for the second promotion place.

I hope I have got all this correct but assuming I have and the main playoff match is in Toronto the team being second will have to travel to Canada. If this is Barrow it will mean a journey to Canada then together with a Super8s journey.

1 person likes this

Team who finishes top are automatically promoted 2nd v 5th and 3rd v 4th in play off semi finals

21 minutes ago, Michael Ashton said:

Although there are still 2 games to go I have made an attempt at woking out all Super 8 games. I'm sure if I am wrong somebody will tell me.

After having estimated the results of the final 2 games I calculate the top 8 to be.

1  Toronto

2  Whitehaven

3  Barrow

4  York

5  Newcastle

6  Doncaster

7  Keighley

8  Workington

On the assumption that these are correct I think the final fixtures will be:

Toronto home games against Whitehaven, Barrow, Newcastle, Doncaster

Whitehaven home games against Barrow,York,Doncaster,Keighley

Barrow home games against York, Newcastle, Keighley,Workington

York home games against Toronto, Newcastle, Doncaster, Workington

Newcastle home games against Whitehaven, Doncaster, Keighley

Doncaster home games against Barrow, Keighley, Workington.

Keighley home games against Toronto, York, Workington

Workington home games against Toronto, Whitehaven, Newcastle

It will be seen that the top 4 have 4 home games and 3 away and teams 5-8 have 3 home games and 4 away.

Each team plays 7 games and then the play offs begin. The points from the Super8s will be added to the existing league points and team 1 will play team 2 for immediate promotion. The loser will join the other teams for play off for the second promotion place.

I hope I have got all this correct but assuming I have and the main playoff match is in Toronto the team being second will have to travel to Canada. If this is Barrow it will mean a journey to Canada then together with a Super8s journey.

Think your about right but maybe Keighley and Workington swapping places, thank you anyway should be an interesting 2 week's 

Donny will be 4th or 5th their on 14 now with 3 easy games will finish on 20 only york can match that be all about points difference 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Donald. That was my understanding originally but I picked up the following from somewhere. Sorry I haven't a clue but I 'm totally confused. It was the RFL that came up with this stuff.

Sorry can't count. Hadn't realized Donny were a game behind.

Edited by Michael Ashton

Posted (edited)

Sorry don't know what happened to my other stuff.

After the conclusion of the regular season On July 10th we will find out the fixtures for the League 1 Super 8s which will commence on the weekend of July 22nd-July 24th.

This is how it works ..

Finish 1st- Home 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th / Away 4th, 7th, 8th

2nd- Home 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th / Away 1st, 5th, 8th

3rd- Home 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th / Away 1st, 2nd, 6th

4th- Home 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th / Away 2nd, 3rd, 7th

5th- Home 2nd, 6th, 7th / Away 1st, 3rd, 4th, 8th

6th- Home 3rd, 7th, 8th / Away 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

7th- Home 1st, 4th, 8th / Away 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th

8th- Home 1st, 2nd, 5th / Away 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th

league one play offs

Following the conclusion of the seven Super 8 matches, the League 1 play-offs begin.

1st will play 2nd for promotion straight to the Kingstone Press Championship. This will be played at the home ground of 1st place.

The loser of that match will then play 5th place, whilst 3rd will play 4th for a place in the final of the play-offs, with the highest ranked teams having home advantage.

Two teams will then progress to the play-off final, the game will be held at the highest ranked team to reach the final. The winner will then be gain the second promotion spot to the Championship.

Edited by Michael Ashton
1 person likes this

Michael, I admire your persistence in trying to make sense of the nonsense the RL have foisted upon us. The money lost from all teams in terms of lost gate money, sponsorship, season tickets etc over the course of the season belies the RL's claim to 'expand the game'. What will the so called expansionist teams play for now? A meaningless bottom eight trophy played out in front of 300/400 crowds? Way to go RL. No wonder fans are refusing to accept this.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Michael Ashton said:

Sorry don't know what happened to my other stuff.

After the conclusion of the regular season On July 10th we will find out the fixtures for the League 1 Super 8s which will commence on the weekend of July 22nd-July 24th.

This is how it works ..

Finish 1st- Home 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th / Away 4th, 7th, 8th

2nd- Home 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th / Away 1st, 5th, 8th

3rd- Home 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th / Away 1st, 2nd, 6th

4th- Home 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th / Away 2nd, 3rd, 7th

5th- Home 2nd, 6th, 7th / Away 1st, 3rd, 4th, 8th

6th- Home 3rd, 7th, 8th / Away 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

7th- Home 1st, 4th, 8th / Away 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th

8th- Home 1st, 2nd, 5th / Away 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th

league one play offs

Following the conclusion of the seven Super 8 matches, the League 1 play-offs begin.

1st will play 2nd for promotion straight to the Kingstone Press Championship. This will be played at the home ground of 1st place.

The loser of that match will then play 5th place, whilst 3rd will play 4th for a place in the final of the play-offs, with the highest ranked teams having home advantage.

Two teams will then progress to the play-off final, the game will be held at the highest ranked team to reach the final. The winner will then be gain the second promotion spot to the Championship.

After the super eights top  place gets promoted,then the next four playoff for one more championship place.

Slightly different from last year.

Posted (edited)

Newcastle can finish on 20 points also.

Doncaster would have to win all 3 & Newcastle & York drop points  to finish 4th.

Edited by weighman

Michael, you have said 'After conclusion of the regular season on July 10th'. We play Whitehaven on 16th, in the league. Jeez, no wonder people are confused.

48 minutes ago, weighman said:

Newcastle can finish on 20 points also.

Doncaster would have to win all 3 & Newcastle & York drop points  to finish 4th.

Donny will win all 3 by large margins think york will win both not sure about Newcastle 

Newcastle are away to Hunslet last match of season, they are also fighting for the 8s so that game could go either way.

its just a total farce ... how can it be a proper competition without playing all sides home and away ... its about as level a playing field as playing at Batley !!

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, morty said:

its just a total farce ... how can it be a proper competition without playing all sides home and away ... its about as level a playing field as playing at Batley !!

Exactly home and away 30 games pretty simple forget the ipro cup the championship plays 30 games but its all about the southern clubs and toronto and travelling etc but if they wanna join the comp they should consider the travelling 

2 people like this

im getting fed up of it all to be honest and im sure a LOT of people are feeling the same way at all clubs

2 people like this

Mike, I believe that you have posted last years play off system hence the issue with the dates being out.

I notice that all the dates above are on a Sunday, does that mean that they are fixed by the RFL?

Regards Penno

Your prediction means that you don't think barrow will beat Whitehaven next Sunday. 

I think we will and we'll finish 2nd. 

1 person likes this

Pete...playing like we have been recently we will struggle to win at the wreck

2 people like this

It's imperative we finish second after the super 8's to ensure home advantage in the promotion play offs. It gives us the best possible chance to gain promotion. We must rest players against Oxford to ensure the strongest possible side against Whitehaven .

I hope that we do beat Whitehaven at the Rec next Sunday, but I just have a bad feeling that the home advantage could be the difference which due to the idiots at Red Hall will mean that we play them again at home where even a win will not guarantee us finishing above them, which would then give them home advantage for the final promotion spot.

Only the RFL could dream this system up, potentially five games against our nearest rivals could all be away.

Let's hope for the right result next Sunday.

Regards Penno

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If as you say Michael, we finish 3rd, we will have played our two main rivals away, twice each, and neither of them at home all season, even playing field, what else can they foil us with. but as pete says, we should be good enough to finish second.

Edited by alba
1 person likes this

O.m.g. it looks like the raiders have got the bit between their teeth again ,watch out haven , super eights look very strong this year.

the ref did his utmost to keep the score below 100 and succeeded perfectly

1 person likes this