Worrying developments with World Rugby League

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

https://www.facebook.com/World-Rugby-League-1877609125840045/

A rival international rugby league with rival domestic rugby league competitions.

Well, I recognise one chap, who was a Greek representative a few years back.  I believe part of the last regime.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

39 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Well, I recognise one chap, who was a Greek representative a few years back.  I believe part of the last regime.

I worked with Greeks for years, at a Cypriot company.  Still keep in contact.  I don't remember one ever speaking or knowing anything about RL.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

I worked with Greeks for years, at a Cypriot company.  Still keep in contact.  I don't remember one ever speaking or knowing anything about RL.

It was absolutely tiny.  An occasional poster on this board did a huge amount of work on Facebook at a time when that was cutting edge and really launched things.  It is still small, but established. 

Then, there was a split.  Because it is rugby league.

A regime took over and did not do a great job of it apparently.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

It was absolutely tiny.  An occasional poster on this board did a huge amount of work on Facebook at a time when that was cutting edge and really launched things.  It is still small, but established. 

Then, there was a split.  Because it is rugby league.

A regime took over and did not do a great job of it apparently.

Those I worked more closely with were fanatical football fans.  One or two, extreme.  Other than that it was coffee, frape, coffee, arguments, food.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Those I worked more closely with were fanatical football fans.  One or two, extreme.  Other than that it was coffee, frape, coffee, arguments, food.

Indeed.  Rugby league is still a tiny sport in the grand scheme of things in Greece.

Just now, Bob8 said:

Indeed.  Rugby league is still a tiny sport in the grand scheme of things in Greece.

I will check with them.  

Is this an attempt to bypass the usual suspects after the fixture arrangements fiasco for those minor nations earlier in the year?

1 minute ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

World rugby league sounds better than rugby league international federation tbf

I'd prefer "League International" personally. 

Worrying for the game, though if they have more success with Sports Accord then perhaps its not a bad thing entirely. RL is often held back by its own establishment and this seems to be one of their lines of argument.

What worries me most is the links with RU here. 

44 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Worrying for the game, though if they have more success with Sports Accord then perhaps its not a bad thing entirely. RL is often held back by its own establishment and this seems to be one of their lines of argument.

It is a Facebook group and an very bad website.  Some of those involved do not have a great record of success.  I do not see it as anything to take seriously.

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

We're not very good at marketing. League international sounds good, could have Rugby league Europe and Pacific Rugby League.  The RLIF twitter handle in International Rugby League anyway

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a Facebook group and an very bad website.  Some of those involved do not have a great record of success.  I do not see it as anything to take seriously.

Indeed, but if it is slowing down any potential sport accord recognition by virtue of giving opponents an outlet to point to confused internationalism, then its not great. Alas I think it will amount to nothing.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, but if it is slowing down any potential sport accord recognition by virtue of giving opponents an outlet to point to confused internationalism, then its not great. Alas I think it will amount to nothing.

While others pointlessly argue about names for organisations you have hit the nail on the head.

They claim to be talking to Sport Accord with some success. This cannot be true as they are not recognised by anyone. What it will do however is delay, perhaps for ever, the recognition of Rugby by SA.  They sound more like saboteurs than a useful organisation.

7 hours ago, John Rhino said:

While others pointlessly argue about names for organisations you have hit the nail on the head.

They claim to be talking to Sport Accord with some success. This cannot be true as they are not recognised by anyone. What it will do however is delay, perhaps for ever, the recognition of Rugby by SA.  They sound more like saboteurs than a useful organisation.

Well said.

10 hours ago, John Rhino said:

Absolutely. The first thing they even mention in that statement is Rugby Union. The RLIF need to shut this down immediately.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

11 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Pretty sure the words World Rugby have been trademarked by another organisation. Just give it a couple of weeks and their lawyers will write the inevitable letter and then we can get back to complaining about the attempts to stymy our sport. What unites us is greater than what divides us.

Or they like it because it gives the idea of rl as a simple "variety" of ru.

Just like the Italians rebels accepted by being "recognised" officially by Italian union authorities. These Greeks are those who played the Italian rebels in an "International" recently.

Worrying.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

I googled two of the names listed as delegates at random. From India and Bangladesh. One is based in London, the other in Bradford. And a website built by Weebly.com.  Says a lot.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

20 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

So it seems their mood was usually placated by food.

Are there actually domestic competitions in all these countries with 'observer' status? 

http://www.worldrugbyleague.org/members.html

Is this just a spoiling operation put together by those people in Greek RL who were censured about a year ago? Interesting that Ikram Butt is named as a board member, though.

A spell-checker might be worth using by whoever put up the website, for a start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, dhw said:

So it seems their mood was usually placated by food.

Not really, although Greeks can eat and eat.  

The info I've been emailed by former work colleagues is basically zilch.  One knows of a small league in and around Athens.  Could be bigger, I don't know.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Are there actually domestic competitions in all these countries with 'observer' status? 

http://www.worldrugbyleague.org/members.html

Is this just a spoiling operation put together by those people in Greek RL who were censured about a year ago? Interesting that Ikram Butt is named as a board member, though.

A spell-checker might be worth using by whoever put up the website, for a start.

No and I would think even if there is they are not associated with these people.

Archived