15-16 Jul: The Kingstone Press League 1 Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Kingstone Press League 1 games here.

SATURDAY 15th JULY
Toronto Wolfpack v Hemel Stags KO 4.30pm (9.30pm UK time) (TV)

SUNDAY 16th JULY
London Skolars v South Wales Ironmen     KO 3pm
Coventry Bears v North Wales Crusaders KO 3pm
Hunslet v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm
Keighley Cougars v Oxford KO 3pm
Gloucestershire All Golds v Doncaster KO 3pm
Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
York City Knights v Workington Town KO 3pm 

This week's League 1 Show is out now:

The unofficial podcast dedicated to League 1 returns this week with a bumper edition, as we look back at all the results from Round 14 of the League 1 campaign.

In addition we discuss player development and retention in the South of England with Oxford Head Coach Tim Rumford and Head Coach at the London Skolars Jermaine Coleman.  Plus we hear from the Toronto Wolfpack's first Canadian-born player Quinn Ngawati.

We follow the race for the Super 8s as we hear the post match reaction from the Head Coaches at Workington Town, Keighley Cougars and North Wales Crusaders.

We preview that big box office fixture this weekend between Whitehaven and Barrow Raiders with BBC Cumbria's John Gibson.

And we hear about the excellent community work being developed in North Yorkshire as we hear from Heworth ARLFC, and the Chairman of York City Knights Jon Flatman.

On this week's show, Ben was also joined by Rugby League Express' Matthew Shaw

The unofficial weekly Rugby League show dedicated to League 1 - Listen now on Audioboom or on iTunes

Toronto, Skolars, Cru, Newcastle, Keighley, Donny, Whitehaven, York. Unless Keighley have a truly monumental brainf*** against Oxford the top eight's already decided here. Must admit that I'm wondering whether being in the top eight's worth it for part-time clubs, some of which are going to struggle to arrange a trip to Toronto at very short notice.

Toronto Wolfpack v Hemel Stags
London Skolars v South Wales Ironmen
Coventry Bears v North Wales Crusaders 
Hunslet v Newcastle Thunder 
Keighley Cougars v Oxford 
Gloucestershire All Golds v Doncaster 
Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders 
York City Knights v Workington Town 

On 2017-07-13 at 4:27 AM, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Toronto, Skolars, Cru, Newcastle, Keighley, Donny, Whitehaven, York. Unless Keighley have a truly monumental brainf*** against Oxford the top eight's already decided here. Must admit that I'm wondering whether being in the top eight's worth it for part-time clubs, some of which are going to struggle to arrange a trip to Toronto at very short notice.

I agree.  I notice all the anticipated Toronto Super 8 games are currently scheduled in Toronto, no doubt to take advantage of what I expect will be sellouts or close to it - the tWP fans will be excited when the playoffs start.  But I agree that for the visiting teams, its going to be really tough for they to get their acts in gear on short notice.  The league must want its share of the big gates, but it would be much better for some of these teams if TWP came to them, financially as well as being able to put their top 17 on the grass.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:29 PM, Angelic Cynic said:

Very best wishes to Ironmen/ Raiders from all of us at North Wales Crusaders.

I visited Parc Stebonheath for the Wales v Serbia game and apart from the ticket fiasco on the entrance gate I though the ground was great. I just hope that RL in South Wales has put down some roots and grows from there. A League 1 Club in Cardiff to give a North/ South/ West triangle of fixtures and clubs to attract future players would be a target for the WRL to aim for

On 7/13/2017 at 9:27 AM, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

A bit of a dilemma for Crusaders really. Get in the Top 8 - finish 8th, get the plaudits, slightly bigger crowds at home games but 4 away trips, tough opposition (lose more than we would win?) but we know we are not strong enough to challenge Toronto.

OR

Come a commendable 9th, smaller gates at home (less income), challenge for the League 1 Shield, but pay out more win bonuses to our  players

If games go as predicted we will end up in 9th due to our -79 points difference - thats the Toronto game! otherwise we would be points neutral. We had games that we could (perhaps should) have won.

Not complaining - as I've pointed out elsewhere, at the beginning of the season we weren't sure if we had a ground to play at or players to form a team, so 9th place and iPRO Cup finalists is a brilliant achievement.

2 hours ago, gogledd said:

A bit of a dilemma for Crusaders really. Get in the Top 8 - finish 8th, get the plaudits, slightly bigger crowds at home games but 4 away trips, tough opposition (lose more than we would win?) but we know we are not strong enough to challenge Toronto.

OR

Come a commendable 9th, smaller gates at home (less income), challenge for the League 1 Shield, but pay out more win bonuses to our  players

If games go as predicted we will end up in 9th due to our -79 points difference - thats the Toronto game! otherwise we would be points neutral. We had games that we could (perhaps should) have won.

Not complaining - as I've pointed out elsewhere, at the beginning of the season we weren't sure if we had a ground to play at or players to form a team, so 9th place and iPRO Cup finalists is a brilliant achievement.

Not sure Skolars have recovered from the seven beltings in the 8s they took after achieving eighth position last year.

Looking forward to the South Wales game tomorrow. Matches against them have been pretty competitive in recent seasons.

Hemel did alright. They had a shaky start but played some decent rugby and showed a lot of heart. I am particulatly pleased for Troy. 

We all knew it was a foregone conclusion tonight but thankfully no team conceded a 100 points against  a team that were always far too good for this division. That said the RFL's decision to not fast track any team has got to be the right way to go.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived