Break away from Sky's Sooperdooper League

jroyales

I have posted this notion before and I feel it must be re-visited again.

Sky's sooperdooper league doesn't give a damn about the rest of our great game and it appears the RL is in the same bed. The time has come for the rest of the us to break away and create our own competitions. The RL is, for whatever reason, hell bent on getting the likes of Toronto, Toulouse and anybody else they can get from anywhere but the grassroots of rugby league into sooperdooper league - I have heard they are looking at getting a Russian team in!

Today it was on the news that Swinton are struggling to survive and I would imagine many other non Sky SL teams are also in the same position.

Now is the time for the Second Great Schism - we must break away before it is too late.

Feel free to breakaway - it will be the death of semi pro RL, as ALL funding would be lost, TV deals are possible would be for much less than currently receiving, no other centralised income would be forthcoming either. As for Swinton, sad though it is, what has that got to do with SL? Oldham were IN SL when they went bust, as were Bradford; its financial mismanagement that is the issue there, not the governing body.

3 hours ago, jroyales said:

Apologies!!!!! I thought you were going to say Salford.

I still feel something has to happen. Clubs like ours need to be doing more than just survive from one season to the next with dwindling gates.

What gives the impression I am a Salford supporter? 

A breakaway would kill all clubs outside of super league.  Thats the harsh truth.

The RFL do their best (which is not always brilliant) with not that much (compared to other sports).  The SL clubs are financially stretched to the limit as well.  The truth is that there isn't enough money in the game at any level.  For every argument that division X needs more cash, you could make the same for every other division.

As for the likes of Toronto, I think its great.  The publicity they are (self) generating is good for everyone.  If we stay up, and they get promoted I'll almost certainly go for a long weekend.  How do they harm us by being in the league?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A breakaway would kill all clubs outside of super league.  Thats the harsh truth.

The RFL do their best (which is not always brilliant) with not that much (compared to other sports).  The SL clubs are financially stretched to the limit as well.  The truth is that there isn't enough money in the game at any level.  For every argument that division X needs more cash, you could make the same for every other division.

As for the likes of Toronto, I think its great.  The publicity they are (self) generating is good for everyone.  If we stay up, and they get promoted I'll almost certainly go for a long weekend.  How do they harm us by being in the league?  

You kept that lottery win quiet.

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The RFL do their best (which is not always brilliant) with not that much (compared to other sports).  The SL clubs are financially stretched to the limit as well.  The truth is that there isn't enough money in the game at any level.  

That's not true,there is enough money..it's just not being dished out properly...all in all the TV deals,Inc "sky try" is worth £40m a year to the sport,if that was put into one big pot then it could have been split like this..

12 SL x £2m =£24m (which is more than they get now)
12 champ x £500k =£6m
16 league 1 x £250k = £4m =£34m

Leaves £6m for RFL per season to spend on development,staff,promoting the game etc. (Edit) that £6m isn't the only money the RFL gets to run the RFL,they get other monies,just like clubs, from sponsors,ticket sales etc...and sportengland funding..

Clubs in the championship will struggle to set out long term business plans cos they have no idea how much of a grant they'll receive from one season to then next,if they knew they where getting £500k every year for the next 5 years then the clubs will be in a whole lot more stable position..

But nah...let's not use the £200m over 5 years the sport is getting to benefit the whole sport...nah sod that...I can tell u that the way it's currently being dished out does not add up and the sport is crashing and burning unnecessary..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

That's not true,there is enough money..it's just not being dished out properly...all in all the TV deals,Inc "sky try" is worth £40m a year to the sport,if that was put into one big pot then it could have been split like this..

12 champ x £500k =£6m

Leaves £6m for RFL per season to spend on development,staff,promoting the game etc. (Edit) that £6m isn't the only money the RFL gets to run the RFL,they get other monies,just like clubs, from sponsors,ticket sales etc...and sportengland funding..

Clubs in the championship will struggle to set out long term business plans cos they have no idea how much of a grant they'll receive from one season to then next,if they knew they where getting £500k every year for the next 5 years then the clubs will be in a whole lot more stable position..

But nah...let's not use the £200m over 5 years the sport is getting to benefit the whole sport...nah sod that...I can tell u that the way it's currently being dished out does not add up and the sport is crashing and burning unnecessary..

So how do they spend it now?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

12 champ x £500k =£6m

So you don't agree that clubs should be rewarded for finishing higher up the league table?

Super league clubs aren't! They get their £1.825m a year..

All league one club get the same £75k..

The championship is the only league with staggered grants..

And there's a difference between grants and prize money

OLDHAM RLFC

46 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

So how do they spend it now?

Backhanders, staggered funding that doesn't add up,money earmarked for parachute payments that's only been allocated one,hull kr this year,sky decides where the "sky try" money goes even though every clubs "foundation" was earmarked to get £100k iirc ,our foundation was dissolved 18mth ago lol so have or will we get it??

There's alot of cloak & dagger stuff going on a red hall..

OLDHAM RLFC

21 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Backhanders, staggered funding that doesn't add up,money earmarked for parachute payments that's only been allocated one,hull kr this year,sky decides where the "sky try" money goes even though every clubs "foundation" was earmarked to get £100k iirc ,our foundation was dissolved 18mth ago lol so have or will we get it??

There's alot of cloak & dagger stuff going on a red hall..

Or they have a better idea of the financials and liabilities?  

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Super league clubs aren't! They get their £1.825m a year..

All league one club get the same £75k..

The championship is the only league with staggered grants..

And there's a difference between grants and prize money

Maybe the £75k each for L1 is to promote the development of teams in that league, whereas the sliding scale in Ch is to encourage teams to build their business as well as the team?

I too love the idea of breaking away because I too believe the RFL couldn't give two hoots about anyone outside their beloved superleague. But how would the clubs build any type of infrastructure to create a new governing body?, plus there's the question of funding. I bet the two lower leagues in the game probably cost more than they make.But yes I'd love to tell the RFL to shove it up their,well yes you know what I mean. I love the idea but reality could be a little different.

6 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

How can you build the business when you don't know how much you are you are going to get from one season to the next?

Budget for the minimum in central funding & use the excess to improve the structures, i.e. stadia, community development etc

24 minutes ago, philipw said:

Budget for the minimum in central funding & use the excess to improve the structures, i.e. stadia, community development etc

Ha... improve stadia, community development, that's fine if you're a super league team with millions of pounds from sky and the publicity they receive. At the minute we're struggling to put a team on the field, with loan players making up half our squad. Would love to know how we could budget any further. Maybe we could play shirts v skins next season, thus saving money on playing kit to fund structures. 

1 hour ago, R0ughyeds said:

Ha... improve stadia, community development, that's fine if you're a super league team with millions of pounds from sky and the publicity they receive. At the minute we're struggling to put a team on the field, with loan players making up half our squad. Would love to know how we could budget any further. Maybe we could play shirts v skins next season, thus saving money on playing kit to fund structures. 

That just shows the reliance on central funding though, rather than own income generation. I know CH has burnt many bridges re: sponsors etc, and therefore future income is possibly lower than it could be, but that is not SL or the RFLs fault. 

Other clubs have managed to develop their facilities without huge funding (featherstone being a prime example) so it can be done.

Archived