Posting problems on forum - FIXED

We are aware of a problem some users are experiencing while trying to post on the forum or use the private messenger system.

This seems to be affecting only some users mainly those who use PC or desktop computers to access the forums (including myself at the moment).

I am posting this message from a mobile device so if you can use a mobile it seems to be a temporary fix until the main problem is resolved.

A support ticket has been raised with the software vendors.

Apologies for the inconvenience. 

I have had that problem with the Opera and Microsoft Edge browsers, but not with Vivaldi or the somewhat experimental Opera Neon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm having the same problem, but the other way round - can post from PC but not from my mobile (Google Chrome on Android).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

It's something to do with server side permissions, but Invision Support don't work weekends it seems, so rather than hang around till Monday, I'll be going under the bonnet myself later tonight to try and fix it.

Wish me luck!

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It's something to do with server side permissions, but Invision Support don't work weekends it seems, so rather than hang around till Monday, I'll be going under the bonnet myself later tonight to try and fix it.

Wish me luck!

I think I've fixed it!?

I'm posting this from a PC that wouldn't let me post anything earlier on, so it seems my tinkering has had the desired effect on this occasion without an all-nighter being necessary. 

If you're still unable to post, try clearing your web browser cache/memory, log out of the forum and close/restart the browser, then log back in.

If it still doesn't work, go ahead, ruin my weekend by emailing me at webmaster @ totalrl.com (but without the spaces) to let me know. ;)

OMG fixed!  If i clicked on a forum reply field, i could only insert an image - so i inserted a funny one in the big Toronto thread running (the cantalope image if anyone saw it...as it was partially relevant to the thread).

I am a web developer myself, and I could see using developer tools that the forum was throwing several js errors.  But when I went to try to send you a message via the contact us field, I could not even insert an image!  And I could not find an email address anywhere.

So i had just prepared a screenshot showing at least some of the js errors using firebug, and I was all set to insert that into one of the threads so that it got the message to the forum mods, and here I find that all is fixed.

NOW i can add my 2 cents to some threads as several things which I predicted about Toronto happened!

If you still want the image of the js errors I observed. Let me know.

BTW, I could not log post via any of 4 browsers (FF, IE, Chrome or Opera) on a Win 7 machine nor even using a proxy, nor using an android device.  I disabled all browser plugins, and of course the first thing i did was clear caches, and a lot more in fact!  Nothing worked.

Good work John - a little luck is a necessity when dealing with all things web, and glad she shone upon you today.

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

We are aware of a problem some users are experiencing while trying to post on the forum or use the private messenger system.

This seems to be affecting only some users mainly those who use PC or desktop computers to access the forums (including myself at the moment).

I am posting this message from a mobile device so if you can use a mobile it seems to be a temporary fix until the main problem is resolved.

A support ticket has been raised with the software vendors.

Apologies for the inconvenience. 

cheers

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

Must be just me then...

If I use google chrome have problem but not using Microsoft explorer as I am now.

I'm using Chrome to post this.

Double-check that you've cleared any old stored pages in the browser, as that can still cause local problems even though the site itself if working ok now. Here's how to do that in Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Also worth checking the browser is up to date using the link below, if not, install any updates and try again.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch John, it was affecting both of the browsers which I have here.

I do still experience another problem though, and I wonder if anyone else does.  I'm getting multiple instances of any page showing up when I try to go back, and after a while Firefox loses all track of the previous pages which I accessed.  It began at about the same time, but evidently it's a separate issue from the posting one.

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'm using Chrome to post this.

Double-check that you've cleared any old stored pages in the browser, as that can still cause local problems even though the site itself if working ok now. Here's how to do that in Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Also worth checking the browser is up to date using the link below, if not, install any updates and try again.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks for taking time to comment back - much appreciated.

Archived