Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Job hunting

Recommended Posts

I have to say it's nice working in an environment where the people you work with have a sense of humour, something sadly missing in my last NHS job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first week in the new job, and it all seems to be going well so far. Nice air-conditioned offices, just off Grays Inn Road (south of Kings Cross station). Plenty of shops, cafés, pubs etc. nearby. And several local parks, where I can go to relax and read, if I want to spend my lunch hour out of the office.

And the job (thus far) is well within my abilities. Everyone I've met in the first week has been friendly, so the office psycho is clearly biding his/her time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first week in the new job, and it all seems to be going well so far. Nice air-conditioned offices, just off Grays Inn Road (south of Kings Cross station). Plenty of shops, cafés, pubs etc. nearby. And several local parks, where I can go to relax and read, if I want to spend my lunch hour out of the office.

And the job (thus far) is well within my abilities. Everyone I've met in the first week has been friendly, so the office psycho is clearly biding his/her time.

Maybe he’s just checking out the nearby shops, cafes, pubs etc.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first week in the new job, and it all seems to be going well so far. Nice air-conditioned offices, just off Grays Inn Road (south of Kings Cross station). Plenty of shops, cafés, pubs etc. nearby. And several local parks, where I can go to relax and read, if I want to spend my lunch hour out of the office.

And the job (thus far) is well within my abilities. Everyone I've met in the first week has been friendly, so the office psycho is clearly biding his/her time.

If you can’t identify the office psycho then I have bad news for you 😛 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

September 27th, I went cycling with my daughter, through the woods near her's, I slid my bike & crashed against a tree stump.

I attended work on the 28th & 29th, and 1st October. I was in so much pain that I couldn't sneeze, even hiccuping was a jolt.

Today I got told by the company that because I took the 2nd as a sick day (despite a, so called 3 strike policy), I am no longer eligible for work with them.

OnTrak are 1krs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I should move here from the rant thread!

Todays news was that the plans for our closure are more 'mature' than expected, so probably looking at a year max.  Its not great but I am fully aware that many have only weeks notice, so I have to look at the positives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I suppose I should move here from the rant thread!

Todays news was that the plans for our closure are more 'mature' than expected, so probably looking at a year max.  Its not great but I am fully aware that many have only weeks notice, so I have to look at the positives!

I am sorry to hear that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I am sorry to hear that.

It is what it is.  No real job security these days so I think its something everyone should try and protect themselves for (savings, etc).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Tories keep claiming there are more people in work than ever. Who writes that Bulls***? Donald Trump?

There probably are, on NLW, NMW, and less than 20 hours per week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, Bleep1673 said:

And the Tories keep claiming there are more people in work than ever. Who writes that Bulls***? Donald Trump?

There probably are, on NLW, NMW, and less than 20 hours per week.

It is not the Conservative Party,  it is not the government, it is the ONS, adhering to EU rules on reporting employment and unemployment figures. These are basic facts, truths and denying them does not make them false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

Yeah, That was my OnTrak job earlier, by accepting you feel desperate, I was, they knew, then they treated me like si@it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

If its through a recruitment agency then that sounds fairly normal to me. It depends on the field somewhat too I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It is not the Conservative Party,  it is not the government, it is the ONS, adhering to EU rules on reporting employment and unemployment figures. These are basic facts, truths and denying them does not make them false.

Office of National Statistics were set up in the immediate post-WW2 confusion, and as such have as much "Finger-on-Pulse", as my local MP. (Oh, Amber Rudd again, now Secretary of state for DWP, MP for Hastings & RYE, which has a disproportionately high level of unemployment), she lied to the Government, she Lied in Parliament, and she still, less than 12 months after being sacked as Home Secretary, ends up being back in the Cabinet again, and she still doesn't know where her constituency is. In the last 6 months according to local records, she has only turned up to her "Surgery" twice, and it is held in an Industrial estate, behind Asda. On a Vox Poll I did today, I asked 54 people if they knew where her surgery was, 38, said they didn't know, 20 of them were Conservative Voters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

You must have the right handshake.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Office of National Statistics were set up in the immediate post-WW2 confusion, and as such have as much "Finger-on-Pulse", as my local MP. (Oh, Amber Rudd again, now Secretary of state for DWP, MP for Hastings & RYE, which has a disproportionately high level of unemployment), she lied to the Government, she Lied in Parliament, and she still, less than 12 months after being sacked as Home Secretary, ends up being back in the Cabinet again, and she still doesn't know where her constituency is. In the last 6 months according to local records, she has only turned up to her "Surgery" twice, and it is held in an Industrial estate, behind Asda. On a Vox Poll I did today, I asked 54 people if they knew where her surgery was, 38, said they didn't know, 20 of them were Conservative Voters. 

In your own words, "######"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Today I have been offered a new contract role after being out of the game since May last year. The strange thing about it, and I've never come across this before, is that they have offered me the job completely sight unseen. No face to face interview, not even a telephone interview, just from my CV and the recommendation of the recruitment agency. Has anyone come across this before (not that I'm complaining)?

I had it once, they were so desperate that they'd been let down at the last minute that they just wanted someone in who had a reputation of fixing things.  I knew no-one there but I'd come as recommended.  Be aware though that they may do as they did to me and go "right, we've screwed up, take this, fix it and then tell us how you did it". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose i should start looking this weekend.

Will likely start Monday.

I've had a few calls whilst im in Chennai, all about the same job at a Japanese Bank. Could be too junior a role so we shall see what happens there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It turns out that I am good at interviews. I have been sent a contract and will hand my notice in before Christmas. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It turns out that I am good at interviews. I have been sent a contract and will hand my notice in before Christmas. 

Well done. Congratulations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Well done. Congratulations.

Thank you. I went for four jobs, none of which I was fully qualified for, and got three. The forth gave me a phone call to ask me to apply again.

It did make me reflect on job interviewing, as a background in acting, press work, presentation etc made a very effective approach possible (my cousin took notes). To an extent, it is a shame that it is as important as it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Thank you. I went for four jobs, none of which I was fully qualified for, and got three. The forth gave me a phone call to ask me to apply again.

It did make me reflect on job interviewing, as a background in acting, press work, presentation etc made a very effective approach possible (my cousin took notes). To an extent, it is a shame that it is as important as it is. 

I’m good at job interviews. It means I get the job ahead of people who could do it better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m good at job interviews. It means I get the job ahead of people who could do it better.

The forum people have known us for years. Any moment know lots of them will dismiss the idea that we are full of hot air and do not really know what we are talking about!!

Surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday




League Express - Online Now

Rugby League World - Issue 453 - Out Now